SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Polymer Autos > P320 Lubrication question?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Polymer Autos > P320 Lubrication question? Login/Join 
posted
REQUEST FOR FEEDBACK:

What is YOUR recommendation for lubricating the slide and Fire-Control Assy. for P320 EDC firearm?

I've had mixed results using Wilson slide (white) grease on 1911's with the lube drying out (due to neglect).

I'm now wondering if a film of oil applied to the grooves in the slide preferred over grease on a polymer-frame pistol? The 320 has a smaller metal-on-metal surface area compared to a machined slide / frame design.

I recently implemented a training schedule of 2-times per month now, and I consistently clean the gun after each training session... so neglect is no longer a factor of concern for me.

I typically shoot ~200-rounds at a time, sometimes more. Should I apply a light grease prior to each training session, then switch to oil for EDC after cleaning?

Thanks,

Capt_C

Posts: 5 | Registered: September 16, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
The sticky thread below will give you some guidance. Personally, I use a light application of Brian Enos' Slide Glide (Lite viscosity) on my semi auto pistols. Use it anywhere that metal rubs on metal. It works year around and doesn't drain off or dry out like most generic oils. On internals I use SLIP 2000/EWL or FP10.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...30601935/m/908103701

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would say grease is less necessary with a steel slide running on the steel FCU rails than aluminum alloy. I used just oil on my P229 for the first decade or so, and didn't see any undue wear. So why did I switch to grease? Well, frankly with a syringe it was easier to apply and less likely to transfer to clothing while carrying.

I'm a firm believer that people overthink lube. That doesn't mean I think you should just use olive oil, but I do think chasing the golden unicorn of lubes is silly. I've used Shooter's Choice and TW25 grease with no differences noticed and for oil I've used Hoppes (regular and elite) and Shooter's Choice and couldn't tell any difference there either. Next time I remember I'm gonna give the Mobil One a try. I keep forgetting. I hear it does work wonders on carbon build ups on pistons like my AK and XCR.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been using Slip 2000 lately and like it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I would not automatically apply these recommendations to the P320. It's a significantly different design, with different metals in contact.

My take: In cleaning after shooting, especially for a carry gun, I'd probably use something like Hornady One-Shot, which is a CLP with a dry lubricant. It won't attract/adhere lint/dust/grit to the gun like grease will, and in a carry shooting situation would be more than enough lubricant.

If I was about to do a training session with the gun, where a significant number of rounds were about to go down range, right before that, I might grease the gun at the range to prevent wear. I'd do this with the plan that in the post session cleaning the grease would be cleaned off, and replaced with the dry lube for the gun to returned to CCW duty.

quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
The sticky thread below will give you some guidance. Personally, I use a light application of Brian Enos' Slide Glide (Lite viscosity) on my semi auto pistols. Use it anywhere that metal rubs on metal. It works year around and doesn't drain off or dry out like most generic oils. On internals I use SLIP 2000/EWL or FP10.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...30601935/m/908103701

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
I have been using G96 CLP on my P320 with excellent results.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Lube is like oil in your car. It is good for only so long. And all pistols, P320s included, need to be properly lubed. And to me, properly lubed is more important than clean. I don't "clean" guns anymore per se. I do really good wipe downs, and a proper relube, and reassembly. If it is a carry gun and I don't shoot it in the next couple of weeks, I'll take 5 minutes, disassemble, wipe it down, and relube. Lucas, Slip, and others are fine quality lubricants to apply.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fair enough. but 200 rds as was postulated is simply not an area to be worried about. lube it before you go and you will be fine with any quality lube. 2000 rounds and I might find a way to relube it while running if possible. B

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Slip 2000

The answers to all my firearm cleaning and lubrication needs.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30. Works in my WRX, works in my guns!

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use oil on the FCU, and a light grease (normally TW25) on contact points such as rail and slide, etc. I use light grease on the barrel and on the guide-rod, too.

I clean and apply fresh lubrication after each shooting session.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
My Porsches drink Mobil 1 so I've always got LOTS of the stuff around for 'other purposes'. As a result that's what I use on guns, including the 320C when I still owned it. Never carried it so I never bothered with any other lube while it was here. For my actual carry gun, sometimes I'll switch to grease in warmer months, but only if a bottle or tube happens to be in that easy-to-reach-for arm's length range.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post