SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig Pistol closest to the P230/232
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig Pistol closest to the P230/232 Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted
Many years ago I was trying to purchase a handgun my wife would like (yes, I learned a valuable lesson with this endeavor, but did end up acquiring a number of small pistols and revolvers) The pistol I bought during this exercise in futility that I really really liked was a Sig P230... the only things I did not like about it was it was in .380 and the mag release is on the bottom of the grip. It came with a Hogue finger groove grip that fit my hand perfectly.. and carried very well. Is there a pistol in the current Sig line up or even in the recent past that comes close to this P230? In a higher caliber 9mm or 357sig ... single stack would be fine? What is close.... don't really want striker fired or SA only prefer either DA/SA or DAO.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
The SIG P239 is favorite of many here, but no longer in production. Then there is the new P365.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Maybe the Bersa Thunder?

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is sad that they dropped such a great pistol. While not really close, you can probably still find a P250 subcompact .380 or a P290RS .380 around.

If you venture outside Sig, the Walther PPK would probably be somewhat close in size to the P232.

Osage County Guns
Wright City, MO

Posts: 767 | Registered: October 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I would look at the Ruger LC9, Gen 1 You're not really going to find anything from Sig like what your looking for, IMO

The Gen II's are striker fired but the Gen 1 is hammer fired DAO

It's based off the Kel=Tec PF-9 which seems to get a lot of hate around here, but I think they are decent too if you don't limp wrist them.

LC9 vs PF-9:

Posts: 33606 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Closest SIG would be the P239, which was also discontinued, or the P290 (discontinued). Going double stack there's the P224 (guess what...discontinued) and the P229 Carry.

The Walther will have a push button mag release, so that might do it for you. If not, there's other small DA/SA offerings like the Beretta PX4 SC and HK P30sk. I wouldn't carry one myself, but there's Kahr, Bersa and Kel-Tec options as well, especially if it's just for the range.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Double single action, small and 9mm, and metal
Cz rami
http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-2...ck-alloy-14-rd-mags/

Posts: 661 | Location: The realm of Texas | Registered: February 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the p230, accurate, soft shooting, yet it eats into the web of my hand between thumb and forefinger. To the point, several that are mentioned above answer your question; the p239, the Rami, and if you prefer to remain in the .380 caliber, the Bersa Thunder... a superior PPK-ish pistol that does not bite and absorbs recoil much more successfully than the PPK. You have choices that can best the p230.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
P225A1 or whatever SIG is calling it these days. The replacement for the P239. Metal construction, DA/SA, single stack. Not sleek in lines like a P230/232; larger, more blocky profile like that of a P228 or P229. Locked breech and not blowback, which is a GOOD thing when it comes to felt recoil. My P232SL is a surprisingly snappy bugger and definitely not a softy for me. The same ammo in my Bersa Thunder 380--also a blowback design--feels meek in comparison. Never would've thought that a full steel .380 would exact more felt recoil on me than a lighter alloy frame gun.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses.

Follow up and little more history; I also purchased a Walther PPK at the same time as the Sig P230. In fact on the same day at the same gun show. I realize the Walther is close to the Sig.. but my experience is not really that close. The PPk is smaller, actually what I would consider a pocket pistol the P230 is not.. I've never been impressed by the PPK... Sean Connery must have little hands, it always looks bigger in the Bond movies, I think the p230 or 232 is a much sexier pistol than the Walther. Any who the p230 in 380 does have some more 'snap. I actually have a p290, which is what I carry currently (with a factory laser).. and I bought a P250 last year the compact model but really am thinking about the sub compact...which I could just find the subcompact kit in either 9mm or 357.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Sean Connery must have little hands, it always looks bigger in the Bond movies [...]

That could be because Connery is usually holding a PP, not a PPK, despite what the books and the movie scripts say.

Posts: 840 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post