SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger MKIV Recall
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger MKIV Recall Login/Join 
With bad intent
posted
https://ruger.com/dataProcess/...Recall/index.php?r=y

Ruger recently discovered that all Mark IV™ pistols (including 22/45™ models) manufactured prior to June 1, 2017 have the potential to discharge unintentionally if the safety is not utilized correctly. In particular, if the trigger is pulled while the safety lever is midway between the "safe" and "fire" positions (that is, the safety is not fully engaged or fully disengaged), then the pistol may not fire when the trigger is pulled. However, if the trigger is released and the safety lever is then moved from the mid position to the "fire" position, the pistol may fire at that time.

Although only a small percentage of pistols appear to be affected and we are not aware of any injuries, Ruger is firmly committed to safety and would like to retrofit all potentially affected pistols with an updated safety mechanism.

Until your Mark IV™ pistol has been retrofitted or you verify that it is not subject to the recall, we strongly recommend that you not use your pistol.

How To Determine If Your Pistol Needs The Retrofit

How to find your serial number All Mark IV™ pistols produced prior to June 1, 2017 are potentially affected and therefore are being recalled. This includes Mark IV™ Target, Hunter, Competition, 22/45™, 22/45™ Lite and 22/45™ Tactical models. These models bear serial numbers beginning with "401" (2017 models) or "WBR" (2016 models).

Firearms NOT subject to the Recall

Newly manufactured Mark IV™ pistols will begin with serial number "500." Thus, if you have a Mark IV™ or 22/45™ pistol with a serial number beginning with the number "5," your pistol is not subject to the recall.

Firearms That Have Been Retrofitted Already

Finding Retrofit Marking Mark IV™ and 22/45™ pistols retrofitted with the updated safety mechanism are easily identified by the letter "S" in the white safety dot that is visible when the safety is engaged.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I just got the email on that. Mine begins with a "4". I need to check to see if it has been modified, but I bet it hasn't. That is what I get for being an "early adopter". It is OK because Ruger will make it right!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stormwalker
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting!
My new hunter is subject to the recall, and will be going back to the mothership for a retrofit. At least they are giving out a free magazine for our troubles.

Posts: 544 | Location: Florida | Registered: December 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
I agree Ruger will make it right.

One PITA is if you have installed aftermarket parts, such as a Volquartsen Accurizing Kit, you will have to remove them or risk not having the aftermarket parts returned.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1925 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This after my Sig MCX recall. Sigh. Oh well it's easy enough to remove all the VQ+TK parts. I'll just throw all the OE parts in a baggie and save Ruger the hassle of having to disassemble it.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
My Ruger MK IV will be going back...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my brand new one is in the list. annoying for sure. let's see how long they take on this.
Hopefully its not like the airbag issues on my car and years.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10973 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Damn you, Ruger. Not again with recall. Lucky I didn't join the beta testers, although I really wanted to get one.

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now I'm debating if I should send it in now or wait. My VQ+TK mods don't exhibit the problem stated in the recall.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
bugger

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was going to buy my 22/45 Lite tomorrow at the Chantilly gun show but now I have to wait. I waited 6 months for my LGS to get the gun in but now I have to wait again? Ah----------

I guess I can buy one and then send it to Ruger or wait another 4 months for the stock to catch up. Mmm not sure which is better.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 879 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Recalls suck, but at least Ruger is being proactive about it. Now that it's been brought out into the light, in hindsight I probably should've wondered more about the safety anyways; many of the MkIVs that have come through the shop have had thumb safeties that didn't seem particularly positive in setting in either safe or fire position. It sucks but I guess that for now we've got several that are going to have to go back to Ruger for retrofitting. I'm thinking that our Buck Mark and Victory sales may benefit, however.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Interesting I was looking at moving to a vi last week to get one with a threaded barrel now that my silencer came in, guess I'll have to check the SN if I do trade the Mk III

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine just ordered a Hunter. It's supposed to arrive at his dealer tomorrow. Looks like it will get sent back before he shoots it.

Posts: 66 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: April 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Interesting I was looking at moving to a vi last week to get one with a threaded barrel now that my silencer came in, guess I'll have to check the SN if I do trade the Mk III

Dont let the recall dissuade from getting what might be the best 22 Ruger has produced yet.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Damn you, Ruger. Not again with recall. Lucky I didn't join the beta testers, although I really wanted to get one.

Ditto.
I've been drooling over the hunter model for months but have yet to actually get my hands on one.
Guess this gives me more time to save my pennies, so, silver lining etc.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
Dont let the recall dissuade from getting what might be the best 22 Ruger has produced yet.

I won't but I will wait to see if the SN starts with a 4 or 5, not buying one that has to be immediately shipped off for repair just to get a mag.

However I can get a Mark III with the threaded barrel for much less than a Mark VI so It might be worth staying in the III series as the VQ bits will move over to the new gun.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
Mine is on the list as well. Hopefully they address this quickly as I've been looking forward to taking my 22/45 Lite to the range for the first time since I got it.

Posts: 3518 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting the note. Mine also is subject to the recall.

Good for them to take action. I tried to get mine into the failure mode (without ammo, naturally) and couldn't. Still, better safe than sorry, so back it will go.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
MKIV seems like a sweet shooter, but I'm happy with my 'olskool MKIIs. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post