SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    .22LR 1911 - Conversion Kit or GSG 1911-22?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22LR 1911 - Conversion Kit or GSG 1911-22? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Will the Nelson 22 conversion kit fit a Colt Combat Commander 80 Series? I'm guessing it will but it's always good to ask and not assume. One further question: I'm inching toward pulling the trigger and picking up a Dan Wesson 1911 in 10mm. Would the Nelson conversion kit be compatible with it as well?

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
I had a SIG 1911-22 when they first came out. It was nothing more than a rebranded GSG. The GSG guns were much cheaper, of course.
I bought it for the rimfire portion of my gun club's bowling pin shoots. It did quite well for the first season or two but then the screw that holds the fixed barrel in place would walk out regularly, destroying the accuracy.
I did use it for steel shooting but got tired of having to check the screw every time I wanted to shoot it. At times, I would forget and the gun would throw a pattern instead of a group.
You can't really tighten the screw too much as it appeared to be an aluminum screw into an alloy frame.
You don't want to use a threadlocker either, as you have to remove the screw to take the barrel out.
After a while I gave up and got rid of it.

I broke it in with Minimags and then shot CCI std. velocity through it. It was reliable, just not always very accurate.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xl_target:
I had a SIG 1911-22 when they first came out. It was nothing more than a rebranded GSG. The GSG guns were much cheaper, of course.

Yeah, slapping the Sig name on the slide doubles the price, apparently.

quote:
It did quite well for the first season or two but then the screw that holds the fixed barrel in place would walk out regularly, destroying the accuracy.

After a while I gave up and got rid of it.

That's unfortunate; ~$40 in aftermarket parts would have solved that issue for you.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, there are replacement muzzle cap/bushing kits that eliminate the barrel screw, and consequently improve accuracy since you're no longer relying on that cheap screw to hold the barrel in alignment.

Posts: 32485 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
To me, it just wasn't worth the trouble. It wasn't that accurate to start with.
The trigger pull was inconsistent. Sometimes it seemed to have a hitch in it and would require a slightly stronger pull.
Mind you, it did OK during the first couple of years that I owned it.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
Will the Nelson 22 conversion kit fit a Colt Combat Commander 80 Series? I'm guessing it will but it's always good to ask and not assume. One further question: I'm inching toward pulling the trigger and picking up a Dan Wesson 1911 in 10mm. Would the Nelson conversion kit be compatible with it as well?

Why not give them a call and ask?

http://www.nelsoncustomguns.com
(480) 699-8040

They spent quite a bit of time on the phone with me when I ordered the kit for my Springfield Range Officer. I originally called to ask about options for rails, and they ended up doing a custom cut to mount my Fastfire III directly on the slide with no rail at all. They also advised me on what recoil spring would be most compatible with my pistol's internals. I'm definitely glad I called: good people.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: toivo,

Posts: 841 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd rather have a dedicated gun. The tolerances are a little more in line with the dirtiness of .22 ammo. I surely wouldn't want to fire .22 LR ammo through a conversion kit on one of my nice 1911's and have to clean EVERYTHING inside of it after 500 rounds on .22 LR.

While a GSG isn't exactly top quality, it is about the same price as a conversion kit and has a warranty. Personally I think a browning buckmark is close enough to a 1911 (grip angle, trigger, balance, controls location) that is the way I went although it looks totally different.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post