SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    .22LR 1911 - Conversion Kit or GSG 1911-22?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22LR 1911 - Conversion Kit or GSG 1911-22? Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
I'm on the hunt for another .22 pistol, and I've decided that I want it to be a 1911 analog.

(Before someone mentions it, I already have a Ruger 22/45, so that's covered. And other than the grip angle, the 22/45 and 1911 aren't really that comparable.)

It looks like my options are either a conversion kit from someone like Advantage Arms, or a complete .22 from GSG. They're both around the $200-$250ish mark, so prices are about equal. Oddly, for some reason, the GSG 1911-22 is about half the price of the SIG version, despite being the same gun...

A .22 conversion would allow me to keep my existing 1911 setup (grips, triggers, etc.), but would mean extra wear on the frame and getting my Dan Wesson extra dirty. The GSG .22 would allow for a standalone separate gun. But while most reports are positive, there are a few reports of cracked slides on the GSGs, although they come with a lifetime warranty and these damaged slides were replaced.

Which would you recommend? Conversion kit or GSG 1911-22?

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
I had a Kimber Ciener but it was 'picky' on what it would eat. The GSG works well but there are a few mods that are useful to do. Get rid of the stock guide rod (pot metal) and replace it with one made of steel. Change the sights to your preference. Also the mags can be upgraded to fourteen rounders (new follower). The lower can be modded to your preference. The take down is a PITA but simple once you've done it a few times. I haven't shot mine in awhile since I've been 'toying' with my 22/45s.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trebor44,

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trebor44:
Also the mags can be upgraded to ten rounders (new follower).

The stock GSG mags are 10 rounds. It looks like there are +4 followers available, as well as +3 baseplates, for increased capacity.

quote:
Originally posted by trebor44:
The take down is a PITA but simple once you've done it a few times.

There are kits that replace the muzzle cap and bushing with modified parts, which eliminates the annoying barrel screw.

That results in a takedown much more similar to a standard 1911, requiring only the removal of the slide stop (as usual) plus then pushing out the secondary cross-pin.

It also results in greater consistency/accuracy, as the barrel and slide always return to the same alignment after each shot, and POI isn't affected by differences in barrel screw torque during reinstallation.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
Browning makes a variety that are 85% of the size of the original.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every GSG I have seen sold at my LGS has been a disappointment to the person who bought it.
I have experience using the Kimber (OK ) and the Marvel (the best of them) conversion kits with very good results provided they had decent ammo.
I don't have any experience with advantage arms on the 1911 but I have several of their kits on other guns and they seem well thought out and customer service was good the one time I needed it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have owned my GSG 922 for a few years now. It is a commander sized 1911 in .22cal, with no bbl. bushing. Mine shoots just fine, but definitely not a "bullseye gun", at least in my hands. It is fun to shoot, and runs 100% with MiniMags.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Every GSG I have seen sold at my LGS has been a disappointment to the person who bought it.

In what way?

Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I have one of the early Kimber Cierner made conversions and don't recall ever having a failure with it.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Early adopter when they came out. My barrel bushing broke, launching recoil spring & plug into the ether at the range. Guide rod is plastic. Sights are meh... shot the piss out of it for a while. Fun gun, but no more than that. Got the conical barrel cap (mine was a comp, just cause I could) and have been looking for the upgraded guide rod, spring & bushing off & on for a while. Sitting stripped on my bench for probably the last 2 years. Moved on to Ruger MK guns.
I've been looking for a kimber kit to use on the gsg lower as I think they are a better quality upper & better sights.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Only Kneel
to Almighty God
posted Hide Post
I have Sig 22 conversion kits for the 1911 and P series. Very happy with them. They are soft shooters, especially compared to the 45's they share the frame with.

Posts: 3427 | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
My first 1911 was a GSG in 22lr that I bought 2 years ago. It has a threaded barrel from the factory. In fact this led me to buying 2 more 1911's in 9mm. One full size and one compact. No complaints with any of them.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Advantage arms makes a great conversion kit FYI. Mags are reliable and inexpensive. Slide locks back empty. Steel insert for the slide stop notch. I am trying to source a dedicated frame for it. Currently it's on my wife's combat commander.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3188 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I have a GSG in the shop inventory we are using for a fun gun, since it has a threaded barrel and we picked up a 22sparrow silencer cheap, (both from an estate)

it is cheasy,
but seems to work fine silenced (not a high round count thru it yet)

I would look at a standard frame, (caspian, or find a 1911 donor) and set it up like you want, and add a Nelson or similar kit to it,

more $$ but also something you can tune and upgrade,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
I would look at a standard frame, (caspian, or find a 1911 donor) and set it up like you want, and add a Nelson or similar kit to it,

more $$ but also something you can tune and upgrade,

You can apparently tune/upgrade the GSG. The internals are almost completely interchangeable with standard 1911 parts.

So you can swap out the hammer, trigger, sear, disconnector, sear spring, mainspring housing assembly, slide stop, thumb safety, grip safety, and grips with your choice of other 1911 parts.

It's just the .22-specific parts that are not interchangeable, for obvious reasons. These include the barrel and slide parts, magazine release, and magazine parts.

posted Hide Post
Nelson custom guns makes the best adapter/ .22 caliber 1911 upper. It is a Bob Marvel design. There is nothing better on the market and will likely be one of your most accurate guns on a standard 1911 frame. They are expensive and in my humble opinion, worth it. Especially if you have a quality 1911 already.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mlazarus:
Nelson custom guns makes the best adapter/ .22 caliber 1911 upper. It is a Bob Marvel design. There is nothing better on the market and will likely be one of your most accurate guns on a standard 1911 frame. They are expensive and in my humble opinion, worth it. Especially if you have a quality 1911 already.

I second that opinion.

Posts: 840 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Nelson. The best.

Here is a Nelson on a Les Baer lower built by Roddy Toyota. This Nelson has a Marvel Precision sight rib adapted to the Nelson. Dot mount grooves by CPC. And comp by OPA. A fine, excellent, great target pistol

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
RogueJSK, I sent you email.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1497 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like the conversion units for their training use (sight picture, alignment, trigger press). My first was a Colt with the sliding chamber barrel that was ok, but hard to keep the chamber working properly. I still have it and use it on a Series 70 Colt .45 Gold Cup. Accuracy is so-so...about 2.5-3.5" at 25 yds.

The 2nd was a trio of Ciener top units that worked 95% of the time and were as accurate in offhand practice as my S&W M-41...no kidding. The favored CCI Mini-Mags of the solid persuasion but would run if kept clean with standard velocity stuff as well. The trick was to run a bore snake or brush through them every 50 rounds or so and brush off the bolt face. The Cieners (my son's appropriated two of them), worked on ever 1911 I own of .45 caliber, (Remington Rand WWll 1911a1, two Ruger SR1911's (CMD & 5" models), and three Colts.

My 3rd was a Marvel with its reputation for accuracy...well deserved too. The Marvel is expensive, accurate with most anything that you feed it, but must be kept clean as well.

A friends Advantage Arms worked on all of my 1911's and was as accurate as the Cieners but not quite as good as the Marvel.

For my Sig P226 Mk25, I have a .22 Xchange Unit that's as good and reliable as the original 9mm chambering. I use it to train with, as well as accustom new shooters to the DA/SA mode of operation. It prefers Mini-Mags as well, but if kept really clean, it'll function with standard velocity as well. I really like the adjustable sights on it, and wish I could find a unit for my M11A1...Not sure if the one's offered will work...and Sig's customer service rep wasn't sure either. I do have a P225a1 as well, but haven't seen a unit for that one, but would probably pop for it if found.

Accuracy with the Cieners, Advantage, and Marvel units has been outstanding. 2" at 25 yds is no big trick and about the limit of my eye sight any more. All three are on a par with my '70 vintage, S&W M-41.

HTH's Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 725 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not fired a GSG 1911-22, but have dry-fired it [with an appropriate step to stop trigger from hitting firing pin].

I have a Nelso Custom .22lr top end for the 1911. Actually, mine is a Nighthawk .22lr 1911 top end, made by Nelson.

The GSG is cheaper than a Nelson [or comparable quality].

That said, the GSG's trigger pull made me grimace- when compared to my 1911s.

I am a bit of a trigger snob.

I have spent a long time getting my 1911s set up to have a very crisp break and I didn't like the feel of the GSG's trigger.

However, from others I've heard that it is fine.

Compared to the High Standard Supermatic 102 Tournament I have, or my custom Caspian 1911- both of which have a VERY crisp 'break' with no hesitation/grit to the feel, the GSG just doesn't compare.

If I were given a GSG I, being the trigger snob that I am, would detail strip it and stone it into shape.

I've done that with MUCH worse triggers [Baby Eagle comes to mind].

But, I AM a trigger snob.

IF you like the crispness of your 1911, just get a conversion and have the same feel.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 683 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post