SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Considering moving to a single platform for carry
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Considering moving to a single platform for carry Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
The recent purchase of a Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 45 has got me thinking about migrating to a single platform for carry. I've heard this reasoning before and I always thought different tools for different purposes.

I've got a total mishmash of what I cary given the situation, mood I'm in, where I'm going etc. It's a mix that includes various 1911's, an M&P Pro 40, Sig 239/40 with the SRT trigger, and S&W revolvers. The problem is I'm not going to the range nearly as much as I used to and maintaining proficiency on so many different styles of handguns. I haven't shot an IDPA match in years. So the thinking is simplifying it to a single platform. Right now the most logical would seem to be the M&P platform and possibly picking up an M&Pc to round out the rotation.

So am I overthinking this or is there some logic to it?

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I feel what you're experiencing & have similar thoughts. The usual progression I've witnessed has been folks going to a single actuation type. Whether it be Striker, TDA or SA 1911's, a standard manual of arms makes a lot of sense especially from a familiarity perspective. Remaining within a single actuation type grants you some flexibility outside of a single brand.

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I went through this mental exercise a year or two ago.

At the time I had a couple of SIGs and an H7K P7.

I really liked the P7. A great design, well made, accurate pistol.

Problem was when I tried to shoot fast at the range, I found myself doing P7 things with the SIGs and vice versa.

I ended up selling the P7 and now all my semi-autos are SIGs, all DA / SA. I regret selling the P7, but I no longer make that kind of mistake.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30643 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
I went with striker fired after years of switching between SAO, DAK, DA/SA and striker. I carry Glocks with the exception of a WALTHER PPS M2 when I need slim. I shoot it much better than my G43. I don't always shoot the Glocks as well as other guns, but doing combat, speed work they always hold their own.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
The recent purchase of a Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 45 has got me thinking about migrating to a single platform for carry. I've heard this reasoning before and I always thought different tools for different purposes.

I've got a total mishmash of what I cary given the situation, mood I'm in, where I'm going etc. It's a mix that includes various 1911's, an M&P Pro 40, Sig 239/40 with the SRT trigger, and S&W revolvers. The problem is I'm not going to the range nearly as much as I used to and maintaining proficiency on so many different styles of handguns. I haven't shot an IDPA match in years. So the thinking is simplifying it to a single platform. Right now the most logical would seem to be the M&P platform and possibly picking up an M&Pc to round out the rotation.

There is definitely some logic to it but logic doesn't always rule the day.

I've been there & partly back-- a number of years ago I had the same thought so switched all my carry guns to the Glock platform figuring that I could carry any of the striker fired Glocks with little specific gun training between them.

The problem I ran into was I would buy a new gun, work with it, practice with it but then carry a Glock for daily carry.

That forced me to practice with my Glocks to keep current even though I might presently be working with a Sig or 1911 or ???.

So I slowly gave up on the single platform & adopted a different plan, that plan was to evolve as many of my carry guns to have the same sights, same appx. trigger pull weight, & same basic holster systems.

This has actually worked out better for me personally than trying to carry only one platform.

Last few years I mix & match platforms but they all have the same sights & very close trigger pull weight. Triggers might have slightly different pull traits & slightly different reset points but with the basic pull weights the same I get no surprises when I take the slack out.

I'm not sure it is the best approach but so far it has worked out pretty good.

Posts: 125 | Registered: October 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I've always had only one gun for carry. And I've only purchased two holsters for it – an OWB and a shoulder rig. Both high quality leather.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8933 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:

That really depends on how seriously you considering using what you're carrying. Learning one manual of arms and being familiar with one weapons system means you're a lot less likely to get stuck with fine motor skills issues or making errors that have a negative transfer of learning. Conversely, not all firearms fit all situations.

Fortunately, most of the manufacturers today offer commonality of similar use between multiple models of firearm such that one can carry a duty pistol full size, and a compact or subcompact version of the same personally and concealed with minimal difference in feel or function.

Depending on what I"m doing and what I'm wearing, I may carry one of several firearms. Under an untucked shirt, I often use a G32. For pocket carry, however, I often use a G43 or a s&w 642.

The 642 isn't at all the same as the Glocks, but I feel very comfortable with it, and there's no safety, and no snag. Just double action pull. The Glocks work similarly and it's not even much of a stretch between the grip on either.

I have a lot of pistols, but I seldom carry any but the Glocks presently. I do plan to get some 320's this year, and depending on how that goes, the Glocks may have some competition.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
You are overthinking it. (Although the 9c is an excellent choice for a carry gun).

The "Beware of a man with one gun" wives tale continues to make its rounds around the internet. There is zero evidence out there that having different weapons systems will cause you to go deaf, dumb and blind as some claim. To the contrary, there is a lot of evidence out there that you can master different weapons systems. Lowly trained cops do it constantly. The bottom line is you will do as you train.

With that being said, the 9c is a great pistol. I'm carrying one IWB as I type this. It is smaller than a G19, and performs way better. The only drawback is that you can't mount a light on it. I am a huge fan of the 9c. I've ordered a new set of sights, and I am going to give Ameriglo a try. I don't know if I'll like the rear sight from looking at it, so I bought a 10-8 rear to slap on it if I don't.

Life is good. Choose what you want! I can't wait until the 2.0 9c is introduced.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I never understood what mood has to do with a carry weapon...

Anyway, I don't think people should change frivolously; however I also have several carry weapons to fit different environments / manner of dress.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post