SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Changing EDC for season
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Changing EDC for season Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I used to change from a P239 to a P229.

Now I just keep my P365 all year long.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry the same IWB all year long as I practice with that gun "a lot" so it's function and feel are deeply ingrained in my muscle memory.

But, living in the great-white-north I do carry a second (revolver) in my winter coat outer pocket in the coldest months as drawing from an IWB with a heavy winter coat on is very slow and not efficient.

Reason for the revolver over a semi-auto is that I can fire it with gun still in my coat pocket (multiple times if necessary). I have an old winter coat with the pocket shot out from practicing shooting from the pocket.

Works great for pumping gas at night, or in high crime areas, as I can operate the pump nozzle with left hand while keeping my right hand in my pocket on the revolver.

Or even just walking as walking with hand in pocket is not out of character in the colder months.

Just something that I have done for the last 20 years or so.

Posts: 67 | Registered: August 13, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Same EDC gun, my Shadow Systems MR918; but now during the Fall, Winter, and Spring months I am more likely to carry it in my Kramer horsehide OWB belt scabbard. I use an IWB holster primarily during the Summer, different holsters but my primary one is my Sparks SSII.

I did just tell my wife recently that I think that next year I am going to carry my grip reduced Glock 26 during the Summer, just to get some carry time for it. We'll see...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1897 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 365 is ideal in summer months for pocket carry and certainly could work year round, however fall and winter weather in upstate NY means its time to bundle up and bring out my classic fuller sized pistols like p225 and similar and carry in a nice leather Ritchie belt holsters.

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
During the warmer months I carry a PX4 Compact.

As it gets cooler, I switch back to my WC CenTac.

Posts: 12540 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
G19 with two spare mags year round.

When Winter really hits and I'm wearing sweaters, I'll use a belt holster instead of the normal IWB.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Mine's probably more situational than seasonal, but one could argue that the situation is changed by the season. As winter rolls in and I'm doing less hiking and photography outdoors the .44's and 10mm's tend to sit in the safe and the .45' ACP's and 9mm's tend to get carried more often.

"Summer Carry" for me tends to be a Smith 629 Mountain Gun or 329 in .44 Magnum, the 10mm's are ether a 3" Ruger GP100 or Dan Wesson Razorback 1911. ""Winter Carry" is a lightweight 1911 .45 ACP in some flavor of Colt Defender, Sig C3 or Smith & Wesson Sc, or a Sig 229 SAO in 9mm.

I know probably backwards from everyone else, downsizing in the winter months.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eclayton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SPG:
Tomorrow’s October 1st, time to put my summer gun away (Sig 365) and go to my cool weather Gun, in this case a HK USPc 357. Why do I do this, a little bigger, I shoot it very well, I wear a bit more covering garments in fall and spring. And I can and want too.

I do the same thing and I like your carry choices.

Posts: 312 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: October 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Mine's probably more situational than seasonal, but one could argue that the situation is changed by the season. As winter rolls in and I'm doing less hiking and photography outdoors the .44's and 10mm's tend to sit in the safe and the .45' ACP's and 9mm's tend to get carried more often.

"Summer Carry" for me tends to be a Smith 629 Mountain Gun or 329 in .44 Magnum, the 10mm's are ether a 3" Ruger GP100 or Dan Wesson Razorback 1911. ""Winter Carry" is a lightweight 1911 .45 ACP in some flavor of Colt Defender, Sig C3 or Smith & Wesson Sc, or a Sig 229 SAO in 9mm.

I know probably backwards from everyone else, downsizing in the winter months.

Ha! Good point - I was distracted by my "around town" gun but now that you've mentioned it, my woods/outdoors/summer have fun guns are going into the safe as well. This past summer was my P220 10mm mostly.

I've found my P365 is my most frequent around town carry all year but, I may break out a few of the bigger for town/not big enough for out of town guns just to enjoy them.

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rushfan65:
I just love these discussions, summer carry/winter carry. Just not quick enough today. Living in South Florida it's summer carry all year long, lol. P239 SAS 9mm for me.

The 239 SAS is my carry gun also but I have a hard time concealing it in the summer. What’s your set up if you don’t mind me asking?

I’m getting a 365XL and hope that’s a little easier to carry in warmer months...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I’ve noticed on this thread and others like it that, in general, we carry larger capacity guns in the cooler months than in the summer.

Not trying to start an argument but my amateur assessment of crime seems to indicate that there is more crime (and the inherent need to be better armed) in the warmer months than the summer.

Any comments?

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
I’ve noticed on this thread and others like it that, in general, we carry larger capacity guns in the cooler months than in the summer.

Not trying to start an argument but my amateur assessment of crime seems to indicate that there is more crime (and the inherent need to be better armed) in the warmer months than the summer.

Any comments?
I believe many would love to comfortably carry a P229, P226, P220, sized gun with 3 spare mags year round. It's just not practical in the summer. I believe this is why so many of us jumped on the P365 when it arrived. Superior capacity in a light and small package and 15 round back up mags as well. Also in the summer those committing crimes are not likely to have multiple layers of clothing to penetrate in order to de-escalate an attack. That's my take on it. Although in all honesty, I've adopted the P365 as my year around CCW.

Posts: 111 | Location: Alabama | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I don't chose any of my pistols according to seasons per se. Of couse carrying a Glock 22 in the summer takes some consideration.

Years ago, I could carry a 1911 all day. Now with the advent of carrying a phone ( some are heavy!), my upteen keys , knife, wallet, a heavyweight gun belt , a spare magazine, it tires me out more, and causes even more back pain.

I don't know how many of you carry the larger pistols you do. Along with spare magazines.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Same P2000 9mm or .40 for the last 6 years or so.

Just works for me. Right size year round, still a “fighting pistol”, hammer fired DA/SA cuz I am apparently a troglodyte.

Basically my do all pistol for a long time. My hammer fired G19/23 if you will.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:

Any comments?

For me at least, it was more about concealment issues rather than crime statistics.
Some have a hard time concealing a larger gun in just a t-shirt VS a sweater or jacket where there's no issues with any gun.

Posts: 7421 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
A five-inch 1911 of one ilk or another is almost always my primary carry gun year-round, even in the humid late Spring to mid-Fall months. I carry it IWB mostly, occasionally OWB. More often than not, an Airweight S&W .38 is also along for the ride in a pocket holster.

There are occasional exceptions to this in the form of a Glock 26 or a full-size revolver, and I keep in-practice with those, too; the 1911 is my choice the majority of the time.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of neverfollow
posted Hide Post
90% of the time, Sig P229 Classic carry, 10% Sig P365. Depends if I'm 'dressing for the day' or in gym shorts and the wife says, 'hon, can you run to the store and get...?'

Posts: 92 | Location: NC | Registered: March 21, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in SC warm or not I carry the same guns. Under a loose shirt I can carry pretty much any of my H&K's or an occasional 1911. My P365 goes with me only on rare occasions. Now on a really cold winter day or when I will drive a lot my tribute to Mike Hammer takes place and I drag out my Miami Classic Shoulder Holster.

I find a good IWB (for me a T&T Gunleather) holster and a good belt will allow you to carry a good sized gun in the summer with shorts and a loose fitting shirt.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick_Perry:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Still the P365. End discussion. Big Grin

Btw, congratulations on your 20th. You've been on here too long. Time to move on. Razz

Same here..

This. Used to carry my Kahr CM9 spring/summer then switch to the G26 for fall/winter. No need for this now.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7655 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
G19 year round unless clothing restricts me to the j-frame in a pocket.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post