SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Discussion for those who prefer and carry pistols with manual safeties
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Discussion for those who prefer and carry pistols with manual safeties Login/Join 
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted
FIRST: I ask that anyone who comes into this thread please not bash. If I see “your funeral”, “safety is between your ears”, or other non-contributory comments, I’ll ask to have the thread locked.

I prefer a safety for a couple of reasons.

Occasionally I can be out working on a remote piece of equipment at night, back exposed, and although we practice good awareness of our surroundings, it is still possible (although unlikely) that someone might try to gain control of my gun. The safety is an additional layer that I know about and can disengage in a fraction of a second. I prefer this to the notion that some have of carrying with an empty chamber.

In my case, it’s a DA/SA with manual safety. It’s second nature for me to flick it off when drawing.

What do you safety aficionados do to further gain confidence and proficiency when training?

Does anyone carry SA and safety (not 1911, but DA/SA)? Me, I leave my pistol decocked, safety engaged.

Any other contributions would be appreciated.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I won't comment on your specific situation. But at this point I have shot enough different guns and different operating systems and enough rounds that I just don't care. My subconscious mind takes care of the safety on or off. I'm often startled by what I do at matches. I compete the cof and then we look at what happens next with the RSO. SAO guns have the safety one, DASA guns are decocked. me don't remember a thing. So shoot enough and it will be muscle memory. That's the secret. full stop.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I have been a Tokarev fan for many years, but just could not abide by the original Tokarev empty chamber carry, or either the Norinco/Polish style safeties.

When the Yugo M57's were brought in with the frame mounted 1911 style safeties, I purchased two of them. However they are not drop safe.
The newer M57's with the slide mounted safeties are drop safe.

I like safeties, but prefer the safeties that will allow loading and unloading with the safety engaged.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^This.
I carry an HK P30S, safety engaged. I did plenty of dry and live fire training before it became my EDC. Now, disengageing the safety is unconscious and I’ve yet to fail to do so since transitioning from a P226. Make disengaging the safety part of your training regiment until you no longer need to think about it.

Posts: 216 | Registered: January 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
quote:
I won't comment on your specific situation. But at this point I have shot enough different guns and different operating systems and enough rounds that I just don't care. My subconscious mind takes care of the safety on or off.

This is me as well. many, many years & many types of firearms.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Just for clarification, I’m using a P30S as well.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My main EDC striker gun is a P320 .45 Compact with manual safety. Since I spent years with a cocked and locked 1911, the MS is a good choice for me. My old school, ancient training just makes me uncomfortable with a 5 pound trigger with no safety device at all. Is the non MS P320 unsafe to carry? Nope. I have carried Glocks but at least there is a vestige of a safety device in the tabbed trigger.
I have carried 3rd Gen S&W autos and Beretta 92s in years past but felt the long DA first shot was sufficient to be a safe carry so I did not engage the safety. I believe that in the past there have been accounts of cops who lost their guns to assailants who, once in control of the gun, could not immediately fire it.
If you have trained with the "safety on" mode of carry enough to be truly proficient with it, it is no less of an effective mode of carry than any other.
In the end, it come down to training and experience.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
Well, I can't speak to early 92's but I love mine. I dont actually have the safety on until I'm reloading or taking it apart. Otherwise, since I don't touch the safety in the first place, it doesnt bother me. However, I do notice that I will reach down and switch it on and off to make sure it is off.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not a trained professional. I have limited funds for training and shooting. I do what I can to improve and learn. A manual safety fits my situation; I can perform all pistol manipulations with the safety engaged, my pistol spends a lot of time off-body, bedside table, truck console, some in a "Safe-Packer" holster/bag. My muscle memory is rapidly developing in terms of disengaging the safety on presentation.

DA/SA fits my desire to have a little more "insurance" against a "bad-shoot" i.e., getting off the trigger.
As with all things it is a personal choice, one that I have put considerable time, effort, and thought into.

As a plus I very much prefer the paddle magazine release and the de-cocker on the P30.

Posts: 1417 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
I have two carry guns with manual safeties: a 1911 and a baby eagle. The BE is DA/SA with the safety also being a decocker. I tend to carry it decocked, with the safety off, but it’s just habit to thumb it off when I draw.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who was going to get a CCW and asked me what gun he should get. I told him it was like telling someone who to marry. Razz I let him shoot my Sig and he liked it but was concerned about no safety. He had a 357 Mag. revolver and I tried to explain that the DA on the Sig was the same as the DA on his revolver. He ended up getting a 1911 that he likes and that works very well, so it's all good.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

Posts: 1673 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
ive shot enough 19/2011's in the competition environment, that I sweep the safety on the draw whether it is there or not. It actually messes with my mind a bit when there isn't a safety there. For carry purposes, I usually carry a M&P 2.0 variant with a thumb safety. Would carry a 2011 if not for the weight issues.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only time I carry a pistol with a safety is when I carry a M9, and only loaded when I'm deployed. My last tour in Afghanistan I had to practice over and over to get the motion of drawing and taking the safety off down.

I can appreciate those who carry with a safety but it just isn't for me. I carry a G43 or G19 for personal stateside carry and much prefer the lack of safety.

Posts: 2014 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I prefer 1911s, so safety is also a preference for me. I have one EDC that is a DA/SA and I know that I still swipe for the thumb safety.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
It's all in how you train

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer safeties on my guns.

It depends on the gun asto how i will carry it.

Jericho 941 single action safety on
P226 sao single actio safety on
Hk usp 9,40,45 9 tac da safety on.
Hk mk23 sa safety on
Ruger p85 da safety on
Sig shield <previous one owned> loaded safety on
Of course my 1911's. Single action safety on
P35/hi power. Single action safety

I shoot 1-2 times week. So i am able to keep up on what each gun's weapons kraft skills are needed.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sig shield

What's a 'Sig shield'? More graphics for The Legion? Wink

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I carry a Smith 669 or a Walther PP with the safety on.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I prefer, and carry, SAO guns. Previously it was a 1911, currently the SIG P220-10mm. Flipping off the safety is second nature to me by now, and cocked and locked is the only reasonable way to carry (or use in competition) a SAO gun. For carry, I do use a thumb break holster, from Andrews Leather. I have also competed with this holster to build the muscle memory of releasing the thumb break and then the safety. This gives me lots of rounds using the thumb break. Usually, I compete with a BladeTech OWB kydex holster, though.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
quote:
Sig shield

What's a 'Sig shield'? More graphics for The Legion? Wink

Pre coffee imput

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post