SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Discussion for those who prefer and carry pistols with manual safeties
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Discussion for those who prefer and carry pistols with manual safeties Login/Join 
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I prefer a manual safety on my striker fired and S/A semi-autos. I can't bring myself to trust the intnernal safety mechanisms. On DA/SA hammer fired semi-autos, a manual safety is not important to me.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I mildly dislike DA/SA guns with combination decocker/safeties, because I don't see a need for a manual safety on a long, heavy DA trigger. I carried a S&W 3913 for years, but always left the gun decocked and the safety disengaged. (If there was a way to convert my 3913 into a decocker only, like the Beretta G models, that would have been much preferred.)

I don't personally have a need for a manual safety on a striker-fired gun, like a Glock. The 5-6ish pound trigger pull, somewhat longer trigger pull, and various internal safeties is enough of a safety system for me. The vast majority of my handguns are this style, including my duty and carry guns. However, I'm not going to begrudge someone else who wants that extra safety feature, provided they're willing to dedicate the time needed to train for it. I like that many striker-fired manufacturers have made it an option, not standard.

However, on a true SAO gun like a 1911, with a light (3-4 lbs.), a very short trigger pull, and fewer internal safeties, I understand the reasoning for a manual safety. But all my SAO guns have been range guns.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I hate safeties and would never carry a gun for defense that has one.

I've seen too many videos of people dying while they fiddle fuck their safety lever for the rest of their life. Should have had a Glock, might have survived. Too late, now you are dead. Chose the wrong gun.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I miss my Colt Mk4/Series 70, stolen some 25 years ago and never replaced. I shot it in IPSC competition for many years, and the safety was second-nature, and it was very smooth to get into action.

I don't replace it now, because in today's environment 7+1 seems like too few, even if I carry a couple spare mags.

I'd swear, though, that the 1911 was easier to conceal and more comfortable to carry than a mid-size Glock, due to the narrower width, better balance, and exposed hammer as opposed to the striker area of the Glock and its clones.

I wish Glocks had thumb safeties like the 1911's.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I grew up on revolvers and DA/SA and quickly learned that having a safety under “stress” is not for me. I just have soooo many years of press trigger go bang, even though I run all 1911s from safety on at the range.

I think it’s way easier for those who cut their teeth on a safety/single action platform to adapt to a non safety platform then vice versa.

All that said I totally get ones desire/comfort level with having a mechanical safety.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Disengagement of the safety is a part of the presentation for me. I've used a da/sa for duty use with manual safety and never had a problem with dying trying to get the safety figured out. But, then again I believe in training with my tools to avoid such calamities.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since this thread is, thankfully, not about trying to convince anyone to have or not have a manual safety on a striker fired pistol, may I ask this? I have a p320, .357sig, which does not have a thumb safety. Does anyone here know of any vible way for me to get a thumb safety installed; either a source for the necessary parts, or a pistolsmith who can do the job for me?

Posts: 21 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: October 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by One Eye:
Since this thread is, thankfully, not about trying to convince anyone to have or not have a manual safety on a striker fired pistol, may I ask this? I have a p320, .357sig, which does not have a thumb safety. Does anyone here know of any viable way for me to get a thumb safety installed; either a source for the necessary parts, or a pistolsmith who can do the job for me?

Posts: 21 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: October 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chazman1946
posted Hide Post
The only pistols I owned that I religiously carried with a safety on was single action 1911

Srtiker fired and DOA pistols don't need them, all you need is a good holster to cover the trigger, just like a revolver does.

As far as manual safeties on the P365, well the first one I purchased in July had a manual that showed how to work the external safety, yet my pistol of course didn't have one.

The latest one I purchased, with a born date of 30 Oct 2018 was without one as well, and the newer manual omitted anything about a external safety, so I suppose they maybe reconsidering making them that way??

Check out how tiny the safety is on my Shield 2.0, it would be a disaster trying to get that switched off in a panic situation.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chazman1946,

Posts: 78 | Registered: July 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I hate safeties and would never carry a gun for defense that has one.

I've seen too many videos of people dying while they fiddle fuck their safety lever for the rest of their life. Should have had a Glock, might have survived. Too late, now you are dead. Chose the wrong gun.

No contribution, thanks.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I generally prefer DAO pistols for carry.

I have carried a Shield quite a bit and have come to prefer the model with a thumb safety. However, I probably use the safety backwards from most people. The Shield can be manipulated for loading and unloading with the safety engaged and I use the safety for that purpose. As soon as my Shield is holstered, I disengage the safety and the pistol is ready for immediate use.

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
hen I carried a 1911 regularly, sweeping the thumb safety was almost second nature. But it takes training.

I currently have a S&W Shield 9 that has a safety in my off-duty carry rotation. I actually like it so that when I'm home, and manipulating the gun for any reason, I put on the safety. Just an added level of safety.

I have guns without safeties as well and feel just as comfortable with them. I think if you've thought about it, trained to use it, then good on you for thinking about your carry situation.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see it as a matter of familiarity and training.

I sweep my thumb down on all pistols, to disengage a safety- even if there isn't one.

This won't work for slide-mounted safeties, but for most frame mounted ones it does work.

If you use enough variety and sweep the thumb, it becomes second nature.

Heck, I find myself sweeping the thumb on my revolvers too.

I used to be afraid of this issue, until about year 4 with a 1911- and the frequency of use made it a non-issue.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 683 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
Occasionally I can be out working on a remote piece of equipment at night, back exposed, and although we practice good awareness of our surroundings, it is still possible (although unlikely) that someone might try to gain control of my gun. The safety is an additional layer that I know about and can disengage in a fraction of a second. I prefer this to the notion that some have of carrying with an empty chamber.

Gun grabs? Part of responsible conceal carry, is knowing your surroundings, and CONCEALING a pistol, so that others don't know you are carrying. Are you open carrying? Then stop. No one will try to gain control of a gun that they rightly don't know you have.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
Occasionally I can be out working on a remote piece of equipment at night, back exposed, and although we practice good awareness of our surroundings, it is still possible (although unlikely) that someone might try to gain control of my gun. The safety is an additional layer that I know about and can disengage in a fraction of a second. I prefer this to the notion that some have of carrying with an empty chamber.

Gun grabs? Part of responsible conceal carry, is knowing your surroundings, and CONCEALING a pistol, so that others don't know you are carrying. Are you open carrying? Then stop. No one will try to gain control of a gun that they rightly don't know you have.

Oh boy.

No, I don’t open carry. Yes, read my post to see where I mentioned the grab scenario.

Are you going to contribute to the thread about carrying pistols with safeties? If not, stay out.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chazman1946
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gc70:
I generally prefer DAO pistols for carry.

I have carried a Shield quite a bit and have come to prefer the model with a thumb safety. However, I probably use the safety backwards from most people. The Shield can be manipulated for loading and unloading with the safety engaged and I use the safety for that purpose. As soon as my Shield is holstered, I disengage the safety and the pistol is ready for immediate use.

Dittos, that's exactly how I use in on my Shield!

Posts: 78 | Registered: July 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Browning HP, I carry it cocked and locked. When I got into a possible "gun grab" situation, or a crowd, I put on half cock with the safety back on. Can be done with one hand with the weapon holstered. If someone ever did get it(a couple tried) I was prepared to use the S&W 940 carried in an off hand pocket holster while they tried to figure out how to make the HP go bang. BTW the 940 can be reloaded from a BHP mag, once.

The Islamic terrorist express: Go directly to Allah, do not pass hell.

Posts: 1386 | Location: Xanadu | Registered: May 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bczrx:
I see it as a matter of familiarity and training.

I sweep my thumb down on all pistols, to disengage a safety- even if there isn't one.

This won't work for slide-mounted safeties, but for most frame mounted ones it does work.

If you use enough variety and sweep the thumb, it becomes second nature.

Me too!

I don't carry pistols with slide mounted safeties.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2180 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not going to lie, I like a frame mounted or thumb safety on a military service rifle or pistol. I've seen carbines and pistol get bounced around, not to mention if your truck takes an IED. We actually had a guy put a round through his leg when his truck hit a nasty bump. He probably shouldn't have been messing with his pistol at that particular moment though.

Plus, if the safety is properly positioned it can be deactivated pretty fast, for example the 1911 or the M4.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Please post a link to these videos.

I've never seen one. I've heard of several instances where manual safeties have save people from being shot (usually with their own gun), but I've never heard of anyone actually being killed because they couldn't get their gun off safety. So if you have links, please post them.

quote:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post