SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Need suggestions for locking a handgun in a car
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need suggestions for locking a handgun in a car Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
That's why I ONLY travel armed in states where I can carry, but I have both a Florida CC license and a LEOSA permit.

Posts: 62 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 24, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
I have a couple of the minimum security boxes like the one pictured. In the Cernter of Mass website, they brought up a valid point about opening those tiny numerical codes in the dark, whereas a key is a much more positive move...if you have the key.

Interesting thread. I may upgrade my lockboxes.

The cable/combination lockboxes ( can't really call them safes), is a deterrent, and is far better than just sticking a gun in a glove box.

My brother has a console vault in his '15 Subaru Legacy. I borrowed his car one day and had to lock up my gun since I couldn't bring it in the federal building. At night, it's not dark in the garage and there is the overhead light in the car. He has the four digit combo so it does take time. But if I make it to the car, I'm driving off, not trying to get to the gun. He's got it set to something easy to do by feel as long as you remember to set it all to zero when you lock it.

But for him, it's just a lock box to leave a spare gun in on the rare occasions he forgets to pack a gun when leaving the house. But he's weird, he's trying to mount a rifle lock in the trunk so he can leave his rifle in it. He has some weird old rifle contraption from work when they switched from Chargers to Explorers that he's trying to figure out how to mount.

It's nicely built and will take lots of time to break in.

I have the simple key box cable lock thing under my passenger seat. I agree it's just a deterrent.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:

My brother has a console vault in his '15 Subaru Legacy. I borrowed his car one day and had to lock up my gun since I couldn't bring it in the federal building. At night, it's not dark in the garage and there is the overhead light in the car. He has the four digit combo so it does take time. But if I make it to the car, I'm driving off, not trying to get to the gun. He's got it set to something easy to do by feel as long as you remember to set it all to zero when you lock it.

Was this a DIY thing or did he get something off the shelf? I ask because I have an Outback.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not exactly sure what you are looking to do. Do you just want this lock box in case you have to leave your gun unattended in your car? Or is it going to stay locked in your travels which I seriously doubt. Of course different states have different laws.

I learned this on another gun forum from a LEO.

Buy yourself a good pair of handcuffs. He said Peerless but S&W's have been around for a long time and I'm sure most LEO carry S&W's.
I bought a pair of black S&W Cuffs off Amazon. Lock the one cuff around the bottom of your cars seat frame and lock the other side through your trigger guard. It only takes a second to lock it and not much longer to unlock it. Once it's locked it's not going anywhere. What's to stop anyone from grabbing that lock box and walk off with it unless it's attached or bolted to the vehicle. I want so say the cuffs I bought were about 30.00-35.00.
I have to admit I don't use the cuffs often but it's nice knowing they are there for that purpose. Plus they are low out of sight. I had my truck broken into and lost a few fairly valuable things but I didn't have a gun left in the truck thankfully. I usually won't go where my gun isn't welcomed but there are times. I keep the cuff key right on my truck key ring and know I'll always have it.

*** A Proud NRA Benefactor Member***

Posts: 212 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
Was this a DIY thing or did he get something off the shelf? I ask because I have an Outback.

That would be me. It's for the Outback but the interiors of the 2015+ are pretty much the same. It fits my Legacy with no issue. I will see if I can find the install pics from my photobucket folder.

https://www.consolevault.com/S...014--2017_p_144.html

Dang. My pictures were from two phones ago. When I get home I'll dig them off my computer and post pictures if you want.

And google found them for me

I bought an extender and ran the cable out so I could still use the cigarette lighter that's inside the console.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
Try www.consolevault.com I don't know if they have one made specific for your car. But they do have a general vault that is real good quality.

They literally install in minutes and customer fit.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14009 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Very nice, thank you.

quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:

That would be me. It's for the Outback but the interiors of the 2015+ are pretty much the same. It fits my Legacy with no issue. I will see if I can find the install pics from my photobucket folder.

https://www.consolevault.com/S...014--2017_p_144.html

Dang. My pictures were from two phones ago. When I get home I'll dig them off my computer and post pictures if you want.

And google found them for me

I bought an extender and ran the cable out so I could still use the cigarette lighter that's inside the console.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ruger Redhawk:
I'm not exactly sure what you are looking to do. Do you just want this lock box in case you have to leave your gun unattended in your car? Or is it going to stay locked in your travels which I seriously doubt. Of course different states have different laws.

Buy yourself a good pair of handcuffs. He said Peerless but S&W's have been around for a long time and I'm sure most LEO carry S&W's.
I bought a pair of black S&W Cuffs off Amazon. Lock the one cuff around the bottom of your cars seat frame and lock the other side through your trigger guard. It only takes a second to lock it and not much longer to unlock it. Once it's locked it's not going anywhere. What's to stop anyone from grabbing that lock box and walk off with it unless it's attached or bolted to the vehicle. I want so say the cuffs I bought were about 30.00-35.00.
I have to admit I don't use the cuffs often but it's nice knowing they are there for that purpose. Plus they are low out of sight. I had my truck broken into and lost a few fairly valuable things but I didn't have a gun left in the truck thankfully. I usually won't go where my gun isn't welcomed but there are times. I keep the cuff key right on my truck key ring and know I'll always have it.

Admit it...they are fuzzy pink handcuffs! Big Grin

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45_Auto:
quote:

The fuzzy pink has worn off but they have yellow polka dots now.
I just thought this might help someone if they needed to leave their gun unattended. I don't keep anything of value in the center console. If I'm in the truck my gun is on my person and goes with me accept on a rare occasion then the handcuffs come into play. I didn't think it would be for everybody.

*** A Proud NRA Benefactor Member***

Posts: 212 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Here's how I use the extender with the console vault.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's for the Outback but the interiors of the 2015+ are pretty much the same. It fits my Legacy with no issue.

That's pretty nice. Too bad the console in my 2017 Impreza is much smaller than the Outback console, or I'd order one of these.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here's how I use the extender with the console vault.

I've had a console vault since shortly after I bought my Chevy Avalanche in 2009 and I'm very happy with it. It was easy for me to install and I'm sure whatever vehicle I buy to replace my current one will have a console vault in it soon afterwards!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
What if you took the box with you in a messenger bag? You could even leave the key in the car so you’re within the spirit of the law.

Or am I trying to be too smart by half?

At the end of the day, I’d rather not leave a gun in the car.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 45_Auto:
quote:

The fuzzy pink has worn off but they have yellow polka dots now.
I just thought this might help someone if they needed to leave their gun unattended. I don't keep anything of value in the center console. If I'm in the truck my gun is on my person and goes with me accept on a rare occasion then the handcuffs come into play. I didn't think it would be for everybody.

I still have some S&W cuffs that I bought in the 70’s as a quick and easy way to secure my BSA and Triumph motorcycles as the factory fork lock was easily defeated and the ignition switch was more of a suggestion than an actual security device.

Easy to carry and could be attached to a number of places or to another bike parked close by.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I had one of the lock boxes with the combo and found that the numbers were really hard to read in dim light when time came to open and remove it. I went to Harbor Freight and bought one with the lock. This one seems a little heavier with a better cable than the Stack-on and costs less.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1865 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post