SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Need suggestions for locking a handgun in a car
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need suggestions for locking a handgun in a car Login/Join 
Picture of frogger
posted
This past weekend, I purchased a new 2017 Mazda CX-5. I love the vehicle, but I found one odd exclusion from the normal features. There is no lock on the glove compartment. In the past, I have always stored a handgun in the glove compartment when I was going somewhere I couldn't carry, and often left one in there just as a backup. I'd lock the glove box if I was leaving the car somewhere I felt unsafe or if I was handing the car over to someone like for service or a car wash and take the physical key with me, leaving them only the remote to operate the car (like a valet feature). With no lock, I now need to find another way to secure my firearm in these situations.

I'm assuming the easiest solution will be one of the small handgun lock boxes that are on the market, attached to the floorboard or something. Which ones do you guys recommend, and where do you usually mount them? Under the passenger seat is my first though, but that means limiting my options to ones that do not open from the top. Maybe the cargo area, but that means having to move the gun from the glove box, out of the car and into the cargo area when I need to secure it so I have to do it well in advance or most likely be seen with it. Looking for suggestions.

Love the new car, but can't believe they didn't provide a lock on the glove compartment. One side note, I have posted on a Mazda forum asking if there is a lock and it is somewhere hidden that I'm missing, but I looked through the owner's manual and couldn't find anything.

••••••••••••••••••••
"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5409 | Location: NC, USA | Registered: November 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep a small lockbox under the driver's seat, secured to the seat frame by a cable.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
It won't keep the determined out, but it'll stop the smash and grab types that I'm more worried about.
Like henry said, loop it around the seat frame and you're good to go.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
I keep a small lockbox under the driver's seat, secured to the seat frame by a cable.

This, only in the trunk.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bear in mind that the glove compartment and under the driver seat are two of the first places someone will look when ransacking your car.

The lockbox will slow access, but not much if someone came equipped with cutters. They can open the box at their leisure later.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's what I use. It's not ideal, but it's better than no safe.

http://www.center-of-mass.com/car-lockers/

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Bear in mind that the glove compartment and under the driver seat are two of the first places someone will look when ransacking your car.

The lockbox will slow access, but not much if someone came equipped with cutters. They can open the box at their leisure later.

True. I accept that. My main concern is with smash-and-grabs. My car is a bit of a beater and I don't keep anything of value in view inside the car. Anyone intent on breaking into cars will most likely see my car, look inside, and move on.

If you have the resources to install a hidden, permanently-mounted, dedicated gun safe in your car, that's the best option if you can't keep your gun on your person. Not everybody has those resources.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the cable lock deal if I’m going somewhere with metal detectors and a pat down but otherwise it’s staying on me.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Get one of these, bolt it through the floor board and tack weld the nuts just a bit on the threads so it cant be un bolted with the bolts inside

https://www.pro.tuffyproducts....-valuables-tote.aspx

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:
It won't keep the determined out, but it'll stop the smash and grab types that I'm more worried about.
Like henry said, loop it around the seat frame and you're good to go.

I use the same. It’s shoved under a seat and completely out of view. Doubtful a smash and grab perp is gonna catch it or finger bang under the seat. They’ll open the glove, open the trunk/hatch, and be on their way.

I use it to store my radar detector like at the movie theater. I have auto insurance so mild protection from a smash and grab is all I’m concerned with. Not gonna put a gun safe in my vehicles.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:

I used to use one like the one pictured above. My new car has a more cavernous space under the seat than my previous one, and the box would slide back so far I couldn't reach it, even with the seat all the way back. I got a Liberty HD-90, which is a bit bigger and I can reach it much more easily. It also fits my 229 with a TLR-1 on it better than the smaller box, should I feel inclined to carry it that way.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of frogger
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the tips. I ended up ordering this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Should arrive Saturday so we'll see how it goes.

••••••••••••••••••••
"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5409 | Location: NC, USA | Registered: November 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frogger:
Thanks for all the tips. I ended up ordering this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Should arrive Saturday so we'll see how it goes.

The exact same one I used to have with a different brand name on it. The only problem I ever had with it was if the nut on the lock started to come loose on the inside of the lid. It made it very difficult to open and once I thought I was going to have to destroy the box to get my gun out. Just make sure to check the nut for tightness once and a while.

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of the minimum security boxes like the one pictured. In the Cernter of Mass website, they brought up a valid point about opening those tiny numerical codes in the dark, whereas a key is a much more positive move...if you have the key.

Interesting thread. I may upgrade my lockboxes.

The cable/combination lockboxes ( can't really call them safes), is a deterrent, and is far better than just sticking a gun in a glove box.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a while in the past I kept my gym bag open, with jock strap on top of contents, pistol occasionally stuck under some of the contents. I only used this "method" for short periods of time and I was in a low risk area. Seemed reasonable given the avoidance many/most of my passengers had to the bag Big Grin

Posts: 1417 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one of the cable type lock boxes. When my car was broken into they quickly disabled the cable and stole the (empty) lockbox. The worst part was that they apparently cut themselves on the frayed lockbox cable and bled all over the inside of my truck.

I would go with the center console type box.

Posts: 612 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: March 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LVJD:
I would go with the center console type box.

Those are nice. I have a friend who has one in his Tacoma. They don't seem to make them for non-truck/SUVs, though (not that I would have room in my tiny center console, anyway).

Seeking a better POTUS, and doing it elsewhere
posted Hide Post
this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/162375172326
Depending on what you carry size wise of course.

Posts: 34 | Registered: March 17, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I use one of the lock boxes in my Mazda as well.

The locks on glove boxes and consoles are stupidly easy to jimmy, as a friend of mine learned to his dismay when his Glock walked.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's one from Stack On on sale for $20. It may be a cheap model, but it beats the glove box:

https://www.fieldandstreamshop...15skouprtblcswkylgua

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post