SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1st range trip w/P365, and possible issue
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1st range trip w/P365, and possible issue Login/Join 
posted
Made my first range trip with my new P365, picked up on 'March for our Lives' day and was vey impressed. I shot about 100 rounds throuh it including Remington/UMC 115 gr fmj, Federal 115 gr fmj, SIG 124 gr fmj and SIG 124 gr +p hollow point. Only issue I experienced at all was that the slide got hung up on a fresh mag with SIG 124 gr hollow points. Tried it a few times after and there were no further issues.

Pistol shot very well, very accurate and to point of aim with the variety of ammo. I was happy with the controllability and relatively mild recoil.

Only concern I had was while checking a couple of empty shell casings I noticed that instead of a nice round divot there is actually a 'swipe' on it, like the tip of the firing pin is sticking out of the breech as the case is being ejected.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Also shot my P320 VTAC for the second time. I shot pretty solid groups with it but still have to get used to the sights as I tend to shoot a bit low with it. Seems as if I have my tendency to push shots to the left solved finally though.

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
People might be able to see this one better. Wink

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
Please resize that image. It’s huge. Makes viewing nearly impossible.

Posts: 4983 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
If the firing pin caused that I would be concerned. Were there any others like that?

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drabfour:

I was trying. Already did once. Don't know why it was so huge. Fixed now.

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sprg03-A3:
quote:
Originally posted by drabfour:

I was trying. Already did once. Don't know why it was so huge. Fixed now.

Much better. Thanks. Smile

Posts: 4983 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure thing. Still trying to get used to Imgur Wink!

posted Hide Post
This usually indicates the gun is beginning to extract with the firing pin still exposed. Can cause broken firing pin tips and worn firing pins.
Maybe time to chat with Sig.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16066 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
This usually indicates the gun is beginning to extract with the firing pin still exposed. Can cause broken firing pin tips and worn firing pins.
Maybe time to chat with Sig.

That's what I figured.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Ah, another never-dying zombie question. Wink

I have never seen the question asked about the P365 before, so it’s useful to bring it back to life as a review.

The above photos are somewhat out of focus and don’t show up too clearly on my monitor, so I must admit it’s possible that we’re not referring to the same thing. But if we are, “swipe” marks on the primer are caused by the firing pin’s remaining in contact with the primer as the barrel drops down in the unlocking stage of the autoloading firing cycle. As the below photo shows, it’s very common with certain guns. All of those cartridge cases were fired in Classic line SIG pistols.

But it’s not limited to Classic SIGs. Next to my keyboard I have a 357 SIG case fired from a P320, and its primer has a similar elongated firing pin mark. It’s obvious, therefore, that it’s something commonly observed and it’s not a sign that the gun is defective in some way. If SIG is contacted, I will bet a nickel that they say the same thing.

I own and have serviced many SIG pistols used to fire tens of thousands of rounds that do that to the primers, and none has suffered any sort of firing pin failure yet.

Some people have gone so far as to suggest that it’s a deliberate design feature to help keep the firing pin channel clear. I’m not one of those who believe that, but it is an idea to consider.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47396 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your reply.

Yes, my empty shell casings resemble yours, but the drag mark s worse. Difficult to take close-up pictures with an iPad.

One of the first things I do when shooting a new pistol is to take a look at the expended cases to get an idea of how centered the divot is in the primer, to see if it is flattened, to see if the extractor is marking up the rim.... I have owned several classic series SIGS, currently own three, and own 4 variations of the P320 as well as a couple of WC Berettas and this P365. While I am aware that this kind of phenomenon does occur I have never seen it in one of my pistols until this particular one.

Wasn't complaining about SIG or the P365, just asking a question. I am sure ideally the drag or swipe mark wouldn't be there, but am just curious to see if anyone else has experienced the same thing, and if so is there an issue with it.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The phenomenon seems to vary with the power of the cartridge and weight of the slide. The 45 ACP cases pictured were probably fired in older P220s with formed and welded carbon steel slides. In my experience the effect is least obvious and visible in full size pistols chambered for 9mm Luger. The P365 may be particularly susceptible because of the slide’s light weight (assuming my assumption is true).

Now that you have raised the question and others start checking their cases, it will be interesting to see what they report.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47396 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Would "riding the trigger" be a factor?

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting to see this subject come back up - now with the P365. I have seen similar marks off and on for many years - from SIG's and Glocks. I don't think it represents a problem unless the case-heads are also noticeably expanded. That said, this is one of the instances where my 365 back order from Brownell's might give SIG just a few more weeks to iron out any bugs before mine is produced and shipped...

Posts: 426 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I fired my 365 the first time I saw the same on many of the casing. When I did not see it was when firing sub-gun NATO loads. the hardness of the primer was the only real difference.

Speaking with my father, he loads his match ammo (which I was using, and also showed the pin drag) purposefully with a soft primer to lessen any misfires due to light primer strike

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6224 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I have a Galisi that does the same thing. Would it be possible that it is done this way on purpose to eject the shell casing using the spring tension of the striker against the case rim held by the extractor? Granted, I suppose this is what they did with striker fired pistols were made 50 years ago. The firing pin would retract once out of battery if this is a hammer fired pistol, not so much with a striker.

Posts: 9139 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
The phenomenon seems to vary with the power of the cartridge and weight of the slide. The 45 ACP cases pictured were probably fired in older P220s with formed and welded carbon steel slides. In my experience the effect is least obvious and visible in full size pistols chambered for 9mm Luger. The P365 may be particularly susceptible because of the slide’s light weight (assuming my assumption is true).

Now that you have raised the question and others start checking their cases, it will be interesting to see what they report.

Makes sense. I kind of wondered if the relatively very short dwell time due to the short barrel/light slide could be a factor as well. Lot less barrel/slide than most of my other SIGs, except maybe my P320c. Should check that pistol soon to see if there is any signs of the same thing.

Overall I am very impressed with the pistol! Often don't shoot small pistols nearly this well.

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Could a slightly bend firing pin or a firing pin channel with manufacturing crud or a weak fp spring cause the firing pin to retract too slowly?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have had several guns that have exhibited this firing pin "wipe," for example a S&W Third Generation and two Kahrs. IMO this is nothing to worry about. In particular, I put a bushel of ammo through the Smith and never had any trouble with it. Well before the slide comes back and returns forward to strip off a round, the firing pin will have completely retracted, so the gun can't "slam fire."

Posts: 27925 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see it in all kinds of guns I own. I wouldn't worry about it at all, unless the swipe extended extensively.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10991 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post