SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Gen 3 or Gen 4?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gen 3 or Gen 4? Login/Join 
posted
I know this is Sig Forum but I'm hoping some of our Glock aficionados can help me. I've heard or read that the Gen 3 G19 is the best G 19 ever made. Do you agree with that? Is it better than the Gen 4 or 5? Reason I ask is I'm thinking or buying a G19. I have a G23 Gen 4 and I really like the finger grooves. But if I buy a Gen 3 G19, while I get the finger grooves, I don't get the captive RCS which I suppose is helpful in reducing recoil. If I buy a Gen 5, I get what some call the best trigger Glock ever made but I don't get the finger groves. Your thoughts?

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
The gen 5 to me is easily the best glock ever made

Maybe an aftermarket grip modification, like the hogue grip sleeve, to provider the grooves?

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Its all personal preference, you will just have to handle some and see what feels better in your hand.

I have big hands, and while the finger grooves never bothered me on my Gen 3, when I fondled a Gen 5 I had to have it. Same for the Gen 3 G34 vs the newer version. I don't find the new ones to be any more accurate, but Im sure that's limited by my ability, if you locked them in a rest I don't know which would win, but I don't see much difference in my hands.

And this may be Sigforum, but there are many many Glock lovers on here who will chime in I am sure.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I think the Gen 5 is better feeling all around then my Gen 3 G19. The trigger does feel better on the Gen 5 but we are talking about Glocks so don’t get your hopes up too much.

My Gen 4 exterior finish is way less durable then my 3 or 5.

All in all I like the Gen 5 best, however, I am not really a Glock guy so, take my opinion for what it’s worth.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
As a lefty with big hands I won't get a Glock below Gen5. Before the 5 came out it was Gen4 for the swappable mag catch and beavertail backstrap, but now that the 5 is out I won't get another 4 because I had to hack mine apart to remove the finger grooves and relieve the trigger guard to make it bearable to shoot more than a mag through.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
The gen 5 to me is easily the best glock ever made

Maybe an aftermarket grip modification, like the hogue grip sleeve, to provider the grooves?

This. Go Gen 5...you'll likely find you don't miss the finger groves.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I prefer the Gen4. I like the finger grooves and the slightly smaller grip.

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
I've had Gen 2s, Gen 3s, and Gen 4s, I still have Gen 4s. The smaller grip option is the key for me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite is the one that doesn't bean me in the face or head. I've never had a Gen3 do that. If you get a used one that was made early enough, it'll still have the "old reliable" cast (vs. MIM) extractor.

I've never owned or shot a Gen2 G19, but I bet you'll find more than a few folks that think that's the best one ever.

And it might just come down to whether or not you like finger grooves. I never needed them nor minded them. The Gen5 is a fine pistol, and I'd choose it over a Gen4 if I were in the market right now.

ETA: Sorry OP, I just saw that you like the finger grooves. In that case, the Gen3 has a "longer", larger grip than the Gen4. The Gen4 has a slightly smaller grip area by default and a better grip texture IMO. If you want finger grooves, it kinda comes down to which grip shape feels best in your hand. They all work. Some throw brass in your face, and some don't.

And the Gen5 trigger is fine...nothing to write home about. Mine throws brass at me once in awhile, but nothing like a couple Gen4s I've had.

Posts: 872 | Registered: October 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Personal preference I believe. I have had gens 2, 3, and 4. Hated gen 2, like gen 3, love gen 4. Gen 5 does nothing for me ergonomicly but I may get one just because I like the internal upgrades. This is for the G19.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Personal preference I believe. I have had gens 2, 3, and 4. Hated gen 2, like gen 3, love gen 4. Gen 5 does nothing for me ergonomicly but I may get one just because I like the internal upgrades. This is for the G19.

You might as well...you have the rest Smile They are good pistols. I'd get one before they start serrating the fronts of the slides:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/5520088954

Posts: 872 | Registered: October 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The matter is one of engineering changes & design efficiency. There are quite a few Glock aficionados here who will render their opinions. I for one consider the Gen 5’s the pinnacle of Glock evolution..

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
My friend, I have been held hostage and forced to shoot a Glock for quite a while now. I probably have somewhere north of a quarter mil through various guns and generations. I am shooting the Night Stalker charity match this weekend and out of all the guns I have in my safe I brought.......my work Gen5 19 and my work rifle. People do claim the choice between generations is subjective and personal preference but I don’t believe that to be true at a certain level. I think that at a certain level the 3 and 4 struggle to catch up with the 5. Now the 5 may have some longevity issues above 15k, but Glock has recently announced that the gun has been “redesigned” and the issue may be moot. My plan, at least until retirement, is to just replace my carry gun once per year. Once I get my issues 17 back from
Glock, I may split the rounds between the two guns and see what I get.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It will be the Gen 5 then. Thanks again.

posted Hide Post
I have each, don't really have a preference one over the other. I'm quite happy with a Gen 3.

With some firearms I shoot more, I get several of the same model. In the G19 for example, I have Gen 3 and 3C, Gen 4, and 19X. Same pistol, subtle differences. I don't think the differences matter much. Get one, shoot it a lot. If you like it, get another.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the Gen 5 improvements internally are a real improvement over the previous gens. The different cruciform and spring seem like a more solid set up and I like the slide lock spring better. Unless I was shooting something bigger than 9 I don't see why you wouldn't go gen 5. That's coming from someone who likes finger grooves. YMMV however. I don't think you can truly go wrong

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I vote Gen 4. No brass to face with mine.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Gen 3 is the most proven bit has a larger grip than gen 4 or gen 5.

Gen 4 never really did much for me.

Gen 5 so far seems to be finally what everyone has been wanting for 20 years from GLOCK.

Jerry, what durably issues are you talking about and what happened to you 17?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first Glock was a G19 G4 I bought this year. I handled the G4 and G5, and liked the G4 better. I avoided Glocks because the finger grooves never matched my hands, but the G19 , Gen4 just felt better.

Posts: 7 | Registered: August 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post