SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Steyr L9A1 first range trip
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steyr L9A1 first range trip Login/Join 
Picture of Bob RI
posted
I decided to give Steyr a go and picked up an L9A1 with the trapezoid sights. This gun compares size wise with my G17.

First range trip was 375 rounds consisting of Winchester NATO 124, Geco 124, HST 124 and 147, and Critical Duty 135. Mags hold 17 rounds and the 17th round loaded with relative ease.

I had reservations about weak ejection after watching a few videos online but had no signs of dribbling brass and zero BTF. Love the trigger and despite some folks not liking the lack of audible reset, I had no issues with it.

Based on reading many reviews it seems as if some people either love or hate the trapezoid sights. I’ll say I was sold after the first mag. Put tip of triangle on desired point of impact and a hole magically appears. Once I started over thinking it and trying to line up the front and rear sight and experimenting etc. my groups opened up slightly. Just point that sucker and press. My first mag out of the gun was at moderate speed and it was very pleasing. The gun feels solid and appears well finished, everything fits well. There are no extra grip modules or any of that stuff yet the gun feels great and the quick follow up shots are much appreciated.

Overall, 2 thumbs up so far. If the gun proves reliable after another 500 rounds or so, I’ll probably consider trying the subcompact model.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bob RI,

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have long been interested in styer. I love the looks and sights but a lot of reports of fte's, plus a strong Hk and SIG addiction has kept me away. Glad to hear this report. I think they are awesome looking guns.

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Yes, I felt it was somewhat of a gamble based on the FTE reports, though many of those posts seem to be prior to the A1 generation and much of the weak ejection is likely due to weak ammo. This gun loved the 124 NATO stuff.

posted Hide Post
I just got the same gun as you last month and I love mine as well. Traded an XDM 9mm full size for it and I’m not looking back at all. Very happy with my steyr. I shoot it as well if not better than my 229 and p30sk

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Steyr makes great handguns imo. I wish I still had the M357 I use to own. One of the few I’ve let “get away”.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonFrost:
...a lot of reports of fte's

FWIW, those reports date from at least a generation ago.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonFrost:
I have long been interested in styer. I love the looks and sights but a lot of reports of fte's, plus a strong Hk and SIG addiction has kept me away. Glad to hear this report. I think they are awesome looking guns.

Just picked up a new Steyr M9-A1, and it’s been absolutely perfect so far. No issues whatsoever! Those FTE reports where from frankenguns assembled and sold by CDNN 10 years ago.

Posts: 2324 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really want to shoot one of these !

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
I really love my L9-A1. I have never had a bobble with mine over several thousand rounds. I don't think I will ever part with it. it shoots so soft it feels like a .22 with most 9mm plinking ammo.

dozer

"She's got a cherry-handled pistol in her lollipop pocket." Five Horse Johnson

Posts: 3515 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After having shot an L9 a couple of weeks ago I was sold. I'm no Hickock45, but it seemed I couldn't miss with that thing. However, I opted for the M9 instead, and will be picking it up on Tuesday. Hoping for the best.

Posts: 303 | Location: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: January 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
I have an M9-A1 as well, i recommend breaking it in with a box of 124gr NATO or similar ammo. Mine love the Winchester NATO ammo. They seem to love hotter ammo in the beginning.

dozer

"She's got a cherry-handled pistol in her lollipop pocket." Five Horse Johnson

Posts: 3515 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TAP
posted Hide Post
I had a M9 and loved it. Only sold it since, at that time, you could not get replacement part kits very easily. But hands down the most instinctive aiming handgun I ever owned.

What is the difference between the M9 and L9?

(Ps.I have Dozer to thanks for my foray w/ the M9)

Posts: 831 | Location: Portland, OR. | Registered: October 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
M9 = 4" barrel, L9 = 4.5" barrel.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Another 400 rounds today....had one failure to fire with WW NATO 124. Primer appeared to have a decent firing pin mark, tried it again and it fired. Group wise HST 147 was OK but not nearly as accurate as Ranger 147 or Freedom Munitions XTP 147. HST 124 shot well. This gun is a pleasure to shoot.

Also, on an unrelated note, I had my my post update P320RX and 320C 357 conversion with me and both continue to shoot really well.

posted Hide Post
quote:
This gun is a pleasure to shoot.

And that's good to know. I picked my M9 up today and will christen it this coming Saturday.

Posts: 303 | Location: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: January 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RUT:
quote:
This gun is a pleasure to shoot.

And that's good to know. I picked my M9 up today and will christen it this coming Saturday.

Congrats!

posted Hide Post
Never heard of ejection issues. Shot my buddy's:

I'm not a fan of the grip angle (Glock), sights (I couldn't get repeatable sight alignment and strung vertically) or reset (almost imperceptible). It definitely can perform, and my buddy loves it, it just ended up not being a great fit for my tastes.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
Never heard of ejection issues. Shot my buddy's:

I'm not a fan of the grip angle (Glock), sights (I couldn't get repeatable sight alignment and strung vertically) or reset (almost imperceptible). It definitely can perform, and my buddy loves it, it just ended up not being a great fit for my tastes.

I hear you. I had heard about the reset before I bought mine, for me though, the reset is short enough that it really does not bother me. I agree the reset is barely perceptible. I do love the break though.

posted Hide Post
If you should need your Steyr serviced the support offered by Steyr Arms is very, very good.

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred! - Henry Cabot Henhouse III, aka "SuperChicken"

Posts: 132 | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up a L40-A1 last month and have put 600 trouble free rounds through mine so far. It shoots extremely flat for a 40sw with 180 grain loads. That low bore axis and the depth you get your hand into gun seemed like a good answer for the 40 cartridge, and it is. It’s a gun I wouldn’t mind shooting all day in that cartridge.

The trigger feels good in my hand, and the reset is short. Added talon grips to mine, because the grips are slippery to me after my hands start sweating.

I’m not digging the sights they have not grown on me at all, even though I shoot it very accurately. I’m going to install a set of TruGlows.

It’s just really a solid gun and you can tell when you break it down.

Definitely going to pick up a 9mm version eventually.

Posts: 472 | Location: Montgomery County, PA | Registered: December 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post