SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P225-A1 Not so Good Deal After All
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P225-A1 Not so Good Deal After All Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NoQuota:
Where exactly are you located?

There is a Top Gun Supply in St Augustine.

https://www.topgunsupply.com/s...spring-p-series.html

If you are close, I put the spring in for you for free.
thank you, I live in Melbourne which is two hours each way on 95. I want to check out other 225 to see if The mag release is the same. I have used top gun before and bought an SP2022 and CZ P01 from your company. I have your phone number.

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just want to mention that the original post was about a P225-A1. The responses, video and picture are of the original P225/P6. The P225-A1 has a magazine catch like a P320. That said, I agree that it would be worth it to replace minor parts.

Posts: 248 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: August 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357p239:
I just want to mention that the original post was about a P225-A1. The responses, video and picture are of the original P225/P6. The P225-A1 has a magazine catch like a P320. That said, I agree that it would be worth it to replace minor parts.
When you depress the mag release button the backside has a little thumbnail grove, obviously intended for disassembly HOWEVER, it is not triangle shaped like the 250 mag release button.

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NoQuota
posted Hide Post
I have no affiliation with Top Gun Supply.

I'm just a member trying to give another member a hand.

I suspect tubetone is on the money and the previous owner cut a couple of coils off the spring to make it easier to press.

Replacing the spring is a very simple job, no need to pay a gunsmith.

The P225 A1 is a terrific gun, and you picked it up for a terrific price!

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Posts: 594 | Location: St Augustine, FL | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
"The responses, video and picture are of the original P225/P6. The P225-A1 has a magazine catch like a P320."

It is similar to this, then:

MagCatchRelease by GaryBF, on Flickr

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 225A1 now has a thumbnail notch instead of a hole. I have no idea how to post pictures in this forum.

Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
Well Mountan Walker, I'm starting to wonder if you in Toadsuck are just having some fun. Wink

I'm finding that the P225-A1 uses the same mag catch as the P224 . . . but I don't have one.

I know someone who posted this account of how you remove the catch on the P225-A1:

"You will need to remove the grips from your P224. I always remove the slide, as well, when working on the frame.

When you look at each end of the mag release, you will see checkering on one end and a 3 segment line running through the other end. When you push the mag release in as far as possible, you will notice a small hole facing rearward on the other end become exposed.

I measure this hole diameter as .059"/1.50mm. Using a punch or pin (I used a paper clip) of that size or a bit smaller, push in on the magazine catch stop at the bottom of this hole and the magazine catch stop will pop out. The magazine catch stop is held in place with a small collapsing finger.

Once removed, reassembly is just reverse steps. The mag release is reversible, so you would follow these disassembly steps and reassemble with the mag release oriented in the opposite direction.
"

People have been trying to help you if you have a serious question. Have you even tried to remove the catch?

As I wrote earlier, Top Gun should help you find the exact part for your pistol. Just ask.

There is a site that has more complete manuals but that is now by subscription at stevespages.com.

This all amuses me because it reminds me of what we did to guys on their first day at the autoparts shop. One of us would call, seeking a water pump for a 67 VW Beetle.

At least your mag catch exists. Big Grin

If it's true that it has a thumbnail groove now, you may be right. Only manufacturers have thumbnails and it may be impossible for mere owners to replace a spring. Big Grin

I'm now moving toward the "sell it" camp of advisors. Ha. Good one.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tubetone:
Well Mountan Walker, I'm starting to wonder if you in Toadsuck are just having some fun. Wink

I'm finding that the P225-A1 uses the same mag catch as the P224 . . . but I don't have one.

I know someone who posted this account of how you remove the catch on the P225-A1:

"You will need to remove the grips from your P224. I always remove the slide, as well, when working on the frame.

When you look at each end of the mag release, you will see checkering on one end and a 3 segment line running through the other end. When you push the mag release in as far as possible, you will notice a small hole facing rearward on the other end become exposed.

I measure this hole diameter as .059"/1.50mm. Using a punch or pin (I used a paper clip) of that size or a bit smaller, push in on the magazine catch stop at the bottom of this hole and the magazine catch stop will pop out. The magazine catch stop is held in place with a small collapsing finger.

Once removed, reassembly is just reverse steps. The mag release is reversible, so you would follow these disassembly steps and reassemble with the mag release oriented in the opposite direction.
"

People have been trying to help you if you have a serious question. Have you even tried to remove the catch?

As I wrote earlier, Top Gun should help you find the exact part for your pistol. Just ask.

There is a site that has more complete manuals but that is now by subscription at stevespages.com.

This all amuses me because it reminds me of what we did to guys on their first day at the autoparts shop. One of us would call, seeking a water pump for a 67 VW Beetle.

At least your mag catch exists. Big Grin

If it's true that it has a thumbnail groove now, you may be right. Only manufacturers have thumbnails and it may be impossible for mere owners to replace a spring. Big Grin

I'm now moving toward the "sell it" camp of advisors. Ha. Good one.
Tubetone, thanks for the big smile, but you give me too much credit. This was an impulse buy and when I got it home and cleaned it, I discovered a flaw. I felt as if I had been snared(by my own greed) while looking at a “good deal”.

I own a very nice later P-6, a German P239 9mm CPO,and a P239 40SW(US made,but just as nice). With these and other guns on hand, it’s hard to justify much effort on the repair. We have a Sig Master dealer here in Melbourne who will have a sample 225A1 which I can compare before deciding futher action. I just may come the realization that I should return the shiny object that I grabbed and get my money back.

I have no intention of making sport of you or other forum members. What I have found here from you and other members is a lot of knowledge and good information that enhances my understanding of Sig firearms. Thank you for your ideas and expertise!

Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
You're right. I was funning with you a bit. If I was there with you in person, it would be funnier to say over a beer because it's harder when writing.

Also, if I was there in person, I might've even shown up with 500 bucks to ease your burden. Wink

If you have a Master Dealer where you are, it would not surprise me in the least if you took the pistol in and they changed the spring on the spot for nothing but the cost of the spring - or less.

GaryBF is the best about giving good help and pictures and he chimed in for you but if you are just not inclined to try, I can't imagine your Master Dealer holding you up with your own pistol.

Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
My 225A mag release is absolutely fine. The take apart description with the paperclip is right on. Simple.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
My 225A mag release is absolutely fine. The take apart description with the paperclip is right on. Simple.
Hamden, my 225A was made in Feb 2017 and has a round shape not triangle shape mag release button Yes the P250/P320 triangular mag release have a hole in it just like the big photo above, my P225A does not. Take a second look at yours. I am taking my 225a down to the master dealer to get their take on it. The more I handle this pistol I realize how much better I like the P239 grip. I have been detail stripping 1911 and Glock pistols for years so I am not unfamiliar with the concept.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Walker:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
That seems like a good price, they are damn near $1000 around here
That is good news, perhaps I will break even when I sell it. It really is a nice pistol, but I wish the magazine release was secure.

Just change the magazine release spring with a new one...….or a stronger one......it's a minor gripe for a used gun you got at a great price.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
Sorry. I’ve been away for many days.

It seems to me that you describe a well-known condition among collectors: buyer’s remorse.

It seems you want to justify your purchase in light of other dissimilar guns that may be available but for your investment cost, thereby lowering your cash fund.

I’d offer several remedies.

1. Sell it and get your money to fund another piece. My dad collected coins until the day he died and he loved to look at them and store them. He did not have a use for them nor did he want to sell them. He just liked collecting and staring.

I learned where his holes were and developed contacts to send him coins for years. So, I understand collecting for admiration but spending one’s money on liberty coins means there is less money to buy buffalo heads. That’s what happens with opportunity costs.

2. To redeem you from your lustful spending, why not salve your conscience by donating the pistol to an NRA Auction near you. That way, you could have the pride of contributing to something beyond yourself. Nothing remakes selfishness quite like generosity.

3. You could send the pistol to me and for the benefit of shooters everywhere, I would write a careful review of all the defects found in the P225-A1. I’d title it “The Toadsuck Special.”

I would explain how the P225-A1 is wonderful except just one catch . . . . and it’s too light. I would disclose that it’s defective in other obvious ways like when tightened, how the grip screw slots are not exactly parallel to the bore axis. You know, important stuff.

I would provide detailed instructions on how to fix the defects and the tools required such as a fork lift, a left handed shaving razor, one tampon, two maxi pads, a twisted coat hanger, a broken thumbnail marked “Sig” and a bottle of Scotch.

I would finally provide pictures/videos of how the P225-A1 could hit a half man-sized target at 140 yards, bust open a trap bird hanging on a stick at 120 yards and fire left or right handed with equal alacrity. Wouldn’t that all be a service to shooters?

Anyway, it seems to me that your P225-A1 could serve purposes other than a vehicle to complain about a mere catch release

Make some lemonade here or do they have a problem with that in Toadsuck? Smile You don't have to own what you see as a SIG Sour.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tubetone,

posted Hide Post
quote:

People that pay that much are nuts! A place online was selling new P-225-A1s for $699 not long ago, and I picked mine up like new, for $500. The OP did good on his price, but 1K??

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NoQuota
posted Hide Post
Tubetone you just made my day, I needed a good laugh!!!!

"Sig SOUR" !!

BAAAAHAAAAAAHAAAHAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Posts: 594 | Location: St Augustine, FL | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a big fan of the 225-A1. Love the single stack nines and mine is extremely accurate. However when I first got it the slide would not lock back after the last round was fired. It took about 10 magazines through it and I have never had an issue since. This might be the last pistol I would ever part with.

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NoQuota:
Tubetone you just made my day, I needed a good laugh!!!!

"Sig SOUR" !!

BAAAAHAAAAAAHAAAHAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

Listen. I’ll give you a preview of the bottle of scotch repair method.

First, you nestle into an urban-urine-stained camo Barcalounger.

You suck down the scotch until you start to feel tipsy. Then, you call a cab to take you and your P225-A1 to the local Sig Master dealer.

While waiting for the cab, you finish all the scotch.

The next morning you will wake up double thankful for your night. You will first be thankful to roll over and see your newly refreshed P225-A1 catch assembly.

Second, you will be thankful that you didn’t roll over and see Bruno the transvestite mouthing your name as “sugar” as his bad breath melted the hair right off of your man stubble.

Alcohol has a yin and a yang. Follow my instructions and you will hopefully get lots of yin while leaving the yang on Hollywood Boulevard.

Voilà. Repaired it is!

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDG:
quote:

People that pay that much are nuts! A place online was selling new P-225-A1s for $699 not long ago, and I picked mine up like new, for $500. The OP did good on his price, but 1K??

Yes so they don't sell worth a shit. I traded for mine, because I wanted one but didn't want to pay 1k. I know they are cheaper online also. I am a big fan of the original and the new version, but at that price point you don't see many around here.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hillbilly Dan
posted Hide Post
Do you know what they gun sold new for? I don't think you do. I will give you your money back for it now.
You have a great gun. Fix it and enjoy it.
Hillbilly Dan
Life Member NRA

Posts: 317 | Location: Murray, KY | Registered: June 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Glock 19er
posted Hide Post
I called Sig last week asking about buying a used 365 and if the previous owner registered it how would warranty work?
He told me that if it says Sig on it, it would be taken care of.

>>>---Scalp'em 'Noles--->

Posts: 570 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Registered: March 22, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post