SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Buffalo Bore in a LCR Ruger 38 spl +p
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo Bore in a LCR Ruger 38 spl +p Login/Join 
posted
Hello Forumites,

Last week I took possession of a NIB LCR Ruger 38 spl +P revoler, that I purchased from another SigForum Member.

I have done some research, and even read some Ruger Forum Posts, that explain that the Buffalo Bore 38 Special +P 158 Grain Lead Semi-Wadcutter Hollow Point Gas Check can be an accurate round through the revolver. Although, some warn of the possibility of stretching the frame of the polymer revolver.

The LCR Ruger owner's manual does not restrict the ammo choices beyond, new manufactured ammunition according to SAMMI specs. But how does the 38 Special +P 158 Grain Lead Semi-Wadcutter Hollow Point Gas Check - the old FBI round - stack up to any future warranty concerns?

I also have the same round in standard pressure, both are amazing self-defense rounds - IMHO! Not sure whether I should use them in the polymer frame LCR, but it sure would be a nice summer carry combination!

Any advise or comments would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

astraightshooter

Posts: 143 | Location: NoVA | Registered: August 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The frame on that revolver is actually aluminum. Only the grip module is polymer. If you damage the weapon using approved factory loaded ammunition I believe Ruger will make it good.

http://ruger.com/products/lcr/overview.html?r=y

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Although a revolver frame is subject to stretching (simultaneous forward drag of the bullet and rearward recoil), the part of the frame actually surrounding the cylinder and taking the stresses is not polymer, but aluminum alloy. As for this ammo, if it is loaded to SAAMI pressure specs for .38 Special +P, Ruger will still stand behind the gun, but it sounds like a pretty fierce kicker. I suspect your hand will give out before the gun will. I'd also be sure the bullets have a serious case crimp so the gun doesn't act as its own bullet puller.

Posts: 27942 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you haven't seen this test from Lucky Gunner, you really should:
http://www.luckygunner.com/lou...ver-ammo-commentary/

I just changed to the Ranger 130+P in my LCR357 based on the poor results of the Speer load I was carrying.

For an LCR38, I would consider backing off to the Golden Saber 125+P or even the Winchester Train&Defend 130 standard pressure round.

Posts: 143 | Registered: August 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slimjim9:
If you haven't seen this test from Lucky Gunner, you really should:
http://www.luckygunner.com/lou...ver-ammo-commentary/

I just changed to the Ranger 130+P in my LCR357 based on the poor results of the Speer load I was carrying.

For an LCR38, I would consider backing off to the Golden Saber 125+P or even the Winchester Train&Defend 130 standard pressure round.

Based on those results, I changed a while back to the Hornady 110+p because, although not terrific they seem most consistent

Posts: 394 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
It's a Ruger - and Just for Carry should be perfect.

Posts: 494 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Buffalo Bore for defensive .38 ammo? No thinks.

For the FBI load to expand and work properly, it needs to be a rather soft lead alloy. I have never heard of buffalo bore using a soft lead alloy, and more likely a much harder lead alloy to prevent barrel leading at the pressures and velocities they load.

The Winchester Ranger load in the link above looks very nice.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I would not bother with that fancy, expensive exotic stuff.

Just get a good name brand +P .38 like a Remington Golden Saber or a Federal Hydrashok and be done with it.

Posts: 33787 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Just get a good name brand +P .38 like a Remington Golden Saber or a Federal Hydrashok and be done with it.

That's why I said you really need to look at those results. All the Hydrashock loads failed to expand out of the 2" barrel. Red Face

Posts: 143 | Registered: August 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
The thing is that there are a bunch of .38 ammo review videos as well as written reviews that contradict the luckygunner review. For instance the Winchester PDX that supposedly performed so well in that review is contradicted by a video review of the same ammo, with the same barrel length, where it failed to expand at all due to getting plugged with denim. The reviewer repeated the test to make sure it wasn't a fluke and got the exact same result.

I would look at and read a large number of reviews and use the results of several to make a choice. For me, it is one of the Hornady Critical Defense loads, or the 135gr +p short barrel Gold dot. Much more often than not, they have proven to perform well in a variety of tests. I would also be interested in seeing how the new Federal 130gr HST performs in some tests, once it is actually in the wild.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep Buffalo Bore 148 gr WC in my Ruger 38 spl.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post