SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Purchased 1st SIG in 20 years
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Purchased 1st SIG in 20 years Login/Join 
Picture of Malysh
posted
I've been a member here for 13 years but rarely post. I can't even remember if I ever posted on the forums!
I've had a P220 (Euro type) and a P228 for about 20 years. Bought both lightly used.

This week I bought my 1st new SIG. It's a 9mm P320 Carry. I also bought a non railed sub compact grip module and 2 12 rd. 9mm mags.

Although the pistol comes with a Kydex holster, I prefer quality leather holsters like Sparks VM 2s and Nexus, or Kramer Leather, or Ken Null holsters. And, when using the sub compact frame the pistol won't fit well with the holster that comes with the gun. Also, I'm not a fan of Kydex and rarely carry on the belt. I prefer IWB carry.

So, I started looking through my large holster storage bin to see if I had something for the sub compact combination for this pistol temporarily.

My semi formed holsters, like the old Sparks' Glock Mod 17 Summer Specials weren't wide enough (as I guessed) for the SIG slide.

However, I found a brand new P228 Kramer IWB #2 and magazine pouch.

The P320 sub compact fits in the Kramer IWB #2 extremely well, even though there are some minor contour differences. The sub compact 9mm magazines fit in the P228 magazine holder perfectly.

This will tide me over until Sparks makes me a VM 2 or a Nexus for this pistol Cool

Posts: 419 | Location: PA | Registered: November 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Malysh:
I've been a member here for 13 years but rarely post. I can't even remember if I ever posted on the forums!

Welcome back! Looks like you've posted 85 times on the forum since 2004.

quote:
Although the pistol comes with a Kydex holster

The factory paddle holster is cheap injection-molded plastic, not Kydex. Injection molded plastic is cheaper (both in cost and quality) but faster/easier to mass-produce products with. Kydex is higher quality, more durable, and will last longer, but is more labor-intensive to work with.

Don't write off Kydex holsters based off experience with cheap, poorly-designed, and poorly-made injection molded plastic holsters, like SigTac/Uncle Mikes/Fobus/etc. They're two very different types of products.

There are plenty of high quality Kydex holsters out there. I daresay that the top tier Kydex holsters compare well to the best leather holsters in quality, comfort, and functionality, and that's coming from an unabashed leather snob.

quote:
And, when using the sub compact frame the pistol won't fit well with the holster that comes with the gun.

The Small subcompact grip doesn't have a rail, so it will fit more loosely in many P320 Compact/Carry/Full Sized holsters. But the Medium subcompact grip does have a rail, and works well with most P320 holsters.

The trigger guard on the subcompact grip is also rounded, which may cause it to be loose in some larger P320 holsters, but that's much less of an issue on most holster designs.

My railed Medium Subcompact grip works in all my Full Size/Carry/Compact holsters.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I just ordered my first Sig in 13 years, thanks to the awesome Top Gun Supply! I have been Sigless for about 4 years. After handling a P320 compact at a local store, I'm now awaiting for one to be shipped from the TGS motherland to it's FOB in Florida. I'm waiting for TGS to have the subcompact grips and magazines in stock.

Posts: 847 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
About holsters - I've legally carried concealed handguns for about 40 years, some times for jobs I had and mostly for personal defense.
For me, leather is preferable. Plastic and Kydex is fairly rigid, and doesn't give or flex much. Like shoes, leather holsters eventually assume the contours of your body. Kydex or plastic, doesn't. The slight gain in thinness of plastic is so negligible compared to quality horse or cow hide it's moot to me. The differences in holster materials aren't too noticeable if one is carrying for a few hours, but over the corse of carring a pistol for a full day, quality leather holsters are far more comfortable for me than plastic or Kydex.

Re: the P320 Carry. I also will be getting a compact grip module and some 15 rd. 9mm magazines soon. The service pistol length Carry grip is longer than I prefer for concealed carry, and I won't miss the extra 2 rds. of ammunition the full size and carry size magazines hold (17 vs. 15 rounds)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Malysh,

Posts: 419 | Location: PA | Registered: November 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
The service pistol length Carry grip is longer than I prefer for concealed carry

You might give it a try anyway. The Carry grip is exactly 0.2" (two tenths of an inch) longer than the Compact. The difference is so negligible that I don't find the Carry grip to be any harder to conceal than the Compact grip.

The Subcompact grip is a much more noticeable difference.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
The service pistol length Carry grip is longer than I prefer for concealed carry

You might give it a try anyway. The Carry grip is exactly 0.2" (two tenths of an inch) longer than the Compact. The difference is so negligible that I don't find the Carry grip to be any harder to conceal than the Compact grip.

The Subcompact grip is a much more noticeable difference.

Thanks for the input. I might as well carry it for a while before I make any decisions. It's worth trying first. Wink

Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

Welcome back! Looks like you've posted 85 times on the forum since 2004.

quote:
Although the pistol comes with a Kydex holster

The factory paddle holster is cheap injection-molded plastic, not Kydex. Injection molded plastic is cheaper (both in cost and quality) but faster/easier to mass-produce products with. Kydex is higher quality, more durable, and will last longer, but is more labor-intensive to work with.

Don't write off Kydex holsters based off experience with cheap, poorly-designed, and poorly-made injection molded plastic holsters, like SigTac/Uncle Mikes/Fobus/etc. They're two very different types of products.

There are plenty of high quality Kydex holsters out there. I daresay that the top tier Kydex holsters compare well to the best leather holsters in quality, comfort, and functionality, and that's coming from an unabashed leather snob.

quote:
And, when using the sub compact frame the pistol won't fit well with the holster that comes with the gun.

The Small subcompact grip doesn't have a rail, so it will fit more loosely in many P320 Compact/Carry/Full Sized holsters. But the Medium subcompact grip does have a rail, and works well with most P320 holsters.

The trigger guard on the subcompact grip is also rounded, which may cause it to be loose in some larger P320 holsters, but that's much less of an issue on most holster designs.

My railed Medium Subcompact grip works in all my Full Size/Carry/Compact holsters.

I hadn't noticed that the non-rail subcompact grip is a small, instead of the rail medium width, even though I have seen your pistol posted on the forum. Although I don't use rail accessories, it might be worth the small amount of money to buy the subcompact grip type you have. It should feel a little better in my hand than the small non-rail subcompact grip.

This system has an enormous number of variables. Choices are good!

The thing that really attracted me to this pistol/system (aside from the proven quality of SIG firearms) is the excellent striker trigger pull. I carry numerous Glocks, which I really appreciate, but this SIG trigger is noticeably superior to me.

I needed another handgun like I needed a hole in the head!
Oh well, it's only money and you can't take it with you. Ask the Egyptians, they tried Big Grin

Picture of mrtuna
posted Hide Post
I haven't gotten a holster for my P320 Compact yet but it fits nicely in my Milt Sparks VM2 for the P229. Just FYI. It's a little snug but it is on my P229 too.

Training as often as possible!
NSSF Media Member

Posts: 1577 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: May 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrtuna:
I haven't gotten a holster for my P320 Compact yet but it fits nicely in my Milt Sparks VM2 for the P229. Just FYI. It's a little snug but it is on my P229 too.

Yup. You know what I'm talking about.

Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
OK.
I checked about a dozen vendors on line, and checked the SIG website. Also called SIG today.
The non-railed P320 9mm grip module only comes in the small grip width. The railed version is made in medium width. They have no intentions of making the non-railed subcompact module with a medium width.

Although the carry and compact frames have rails, I am an old geezer and I don't mount lasers or lights on my pistols. I really don't want a railed subcompact grip module for that reason. If I decide to buy a Sparks VM2 or Nexus holster for IWB, I may reconsider getting the railed, medium width module. My hands are medium so I can get away with using the small width non railed module.
I would have preferred it in medium width, but it isn't a deal-breaker.

posted Hide Post
I wasn't sold on kydex until recently. A good quality kydex holster has let me conceal a S&W Shield better than any leather holster I've ever tried. Oh, and the P320 is an awesome gun, congratulations.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3527 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post