SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    HK Pistol Recommendations
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HK Pistol Recommendations Login/Join 
Picture of 19tass
posted
I'm thinking of adding an HK to the collection and am seeking recommendations. It would preferably be 9mm, hammer fired, and DA/SA, or straight up SA if they make such a thing. Primarily a range gun, with possible night stand duty. Thanks!

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hk usp v1, usp tac, usp elite.

The usp is a tank,

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Hk usp v1, usp tac, usp elite.

The usp is a tank,

Thanks! How are the triggers? I'm used to CZ 75's, 1911's and P226's.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The elite and tactital will be better. Hk usp, p30, p2000, etc are not great stock triggers. Learn to shoot it, and you will do fine. Expect 1911, x5, sao triggers and you will be disapointed.

My usp 40 as i have said has well over 50k through it. The usp9 tac, usp45 came next. The tack may have 2k through it. The 45 was a police trade in, the usp 9mm was a recent purchase. I have been carrying it regularly.

Accuracy is very good. Shooting quarter sized dots at 30ft is pretty easy.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
That really helps narrow down my choices. Really appreciate all of the good info!

posted Hide Post
Agreed, the USP is an amazing pistol. For fun, range, and home defense, and competitive shooting if you were so inclined, the Expert is a great option. A little pricey. I found a new in box full size usp9 on gunbroker penny auction and got it for $600, put the match trigger, jet funnel, ambi safety/decocker, and dawson sights on it and it is my absolute favorite pistol. I think the Expert is probably the best way to go unless you can get a great deal on a full size. But watch out, I went from 1 to 13 Hk's pretty darn quicklySmile

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go rent one before you buy. I was so excited to shoot my first HK (a USP), hearing how legendary their pistols were. I was seriously let down. Everything about my P229 was better, and that was before I knew much about guns. Don't get me wrong, HK makes some fine pistols, but they just aren't worthy of the cachet attached to them.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
P2000 is one of the most ergonomic pistols made. Triggers are not great.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I owned a P30 for a few years. Probably around 2k trouble free rounds.
it's one of my top 3 favorite pistols that I have ever owned.

I got a VP9 when they came out, for some reason I just did not care for it. There was absolutely nothing wrong with, it was very accurate and reliable. Just wasn't my cup of tea I guess.

Posts: 1176 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I never held a USP, so I can't comment. I did own a P30L in 9mm and the trigger was pretty good. With all of the grip pieces included, the ergonomics of the P30 line is hard to beat. I also own a P2000 LEM which is nice, but not what I would consider a range gun.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know this is an old school gun, but how about the legendary P7??

Posts: 86 | Location: NW Ohio | Registered: June 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Your best best is to try them out. I tried USP and P30 and HK45. I did not care for any of the the USP series I tried but love my P30L and HK45. Also have VP9 and really dig it too as far as striker fired. All current HK pistols are extremely well built and have lifetime warranty.

My P30L.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
I r cently bought a P2000, V3 which is the DA/SA. While the trigger may not be the best, I love it. I did swap out some springs which helped quite a bit.

Posts: 2336 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anything with LEM trigger.

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 373 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF: I also own a P2000 LEM which is nice, but not what I would consider a range gun.

USPC .40 (LEM) owner here, with the same thoughts. It's extremely reliable with ergos, trigger and accuracy like a farm truck. My PPQ .40 is hands down a far more accurate and pleasurable pistol to shoot. I'll bet the P30L is too. Wish I had one.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2540 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
P30 is a nice pistol. I personally prefer striker fire so I sold mine and went with a VP9 which I love.

I had an HK45C and it was a nice package for .45 carry

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HK P7 is hands down my favorite but for a pure range gun the Expert is a solid choice.

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hard to choose. If you really are adding it to a collection I'd get one of the low volume ones. If "collection" really means your inventory then get whatever you like. If you want to go big get a Mark23. If you want range an elite. If you want to shoot the snot out of it any USP or P30. etc. USP's have the advange of a zillion operating modes and those can be changed. 1911 style is supported.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first pistol was a USP9c, its my favorite so far and I plan to get more. I recommend them highly. Go try them if you can.

Posts: 48 | Registered: July 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I’m an Hk fan and if I could responsibly afford it, I’d own several copies of everything from the P7 variants to the VP9. I have owned P2000s/2000sk, a USPc, and a P30 in the past.

I currently have a P30S which I love.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post