SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    HK Pistol Recommendations
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HK Pistol Recommendations Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I'm not a huge addict for HK like I am for SIG, but I'm guessing I own an example of everything HK made in the last couple of decades. Certainly not all the variants, but an example. If you want a new production gun you should get a USP. If you want a search for it gun I'd get an elite. That's my knowledge base distilled to its essence given your requirements. However you really can't just get one, that's the probability anyway.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had any number of sigs, p225 (3) p226 (3 w.g.) p226 (7) p220 (4) p228(1) x5AO.
All that time, i had the USP 40. Was it a better trigger? No, it was as accurate? Yes, was it more reliable? 3 failures in 50k+ rounds. I spent the last few years rounding out my usp collection. I have all the standard usp's, one tac, and the mk23. Someday i would like to get an elite in 9,40,45 and the companion 40 and 45 tactical.

These are all execellent pistols. Dated yes, blocky grip and stiff trigger. All of that does not detract much. These pistols work. The sum of all the parts is a feat not measured by simple addition

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would get a USP Compact 9MM LEM or the Fullsize second. I like HK have owned a bunch of them. I am down to three now.But, almost anyone would be better served with a Glock 19/17 and the 2,000 rounds of ammo you can buy for the same price.

Posts: 249 | Location: Lebanon, PA | Registered: December 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
did you read the original post. How is LEM DA/SA or SA? In any case suggesting a compact seems totally silly given the use as range gun or night stand. Why would that be any advantage? Lastly since the poster asked specifically about HK's what is the point of suggesting a glock?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recommended the Fullsize second. If LEM is a no go there are plenty of variants DA/SA with or without safety de-cocker only. A USP Compact 9mm is really not very compact. It will serve as a range tool very well. If you decide to carry it you can. If you want to resell it, it is far easier to resell than a full size. I recommend the Glock because in my experience they work and the secondary support market holster lights etc... is second to none. It simply is good advice.

Posts: 249 | Location: Lebanon, PA | Registered: December 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The USP Compacts are really haard to beat, but are blocks. The double action triggers are serviceable, but terrible.

I like the HK45C, and the USP45C. I picked up another HK45C with an LEM trigger, very gently used, this year. I think I paid about 1100 originally for the HK45C, and this last one was under six hundred. I couldn't pass it up. Nice LEM trigger, too.

I carried a P2000SK with LEM in .40 for a few years in an ankle holster, and in fact had one on when last married.

The HK triggers are probably the grittiest and worst quality double action pull up to the break, which is clean and crisp; there's plenty to stage and the reset point for the follow up is distinct and fairly short.

The HK pistols, particularly the .45, have a lot of pistol and a big wide feedramp for a low capacity. magazine; they feed very reliably, extract very reliably, and shoot well.

I had a USP Compact in an enclosed holster and spent some time crawling around some caves in a sandy environment. When I came out and went to check on the pistol, it was jammed and I couldn't move the slide. Locked solid. It's possible that it could have been shot free, but it didn't seem prudent, and I didn't want to score the barrel with any contamination that might be in there. It took a lot of work to get the slide unlocked. I've never seen another firearm do that after just exposure to a dusty or sandy environment, other than that HK. The rabid fans get upset over that story.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a recovering HK Fanboy. sns3guppy, I would not recommend posting that story on HKPro. They would request video of the incident or it would not be considered cannon.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by majbgd:
As a recovering HK Fanboy. sns3guppy, I would not recommend posting that story on HKPro. They would request video of the incident or it would not be considered cannon.

It's been discussed there before. There's no video.

The typical reaction ranges from accusation to insults, because that couldn't ever possibly happen except to a complete idiot or someone hellbent on poking HK.

I'm not terribly impressed with their customer service, either...but then I suck, and they hate me.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
im a diehard Sig fan first and foremost but HK is a close second. Im not a striker fired fan either and im not even a big fan of USPC even tho I own one. I prefer traditional SA/DA and own a USP9 and USP45 as well. the USPs are great guns and if you run out of ammo, you can beat someone with it. Smile I have a P30 too and as for balance and feel, its the best, altho the trigger leaves a lil to be desired. you really just need to try to fire the various models and see what works best for you.

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've shot the German Issued P8 (USP),MK 23, The P30SK LEM and we have 6 P30 V3s (decocker only variants) at the Outdoor REC range I RSO for.

As mentioned above, you really need to wrap your hands around the pistols. The P8 (fullsize USP) and the Mark 23 shot the best IMHO, but the grips felt a bit large in my hand. The P30s have excellent ergonomics IMHO, but I am not enamored with the DA/SA trigger. Our pistols are relatively new and just completed their first shooting season, so the trigger might "break in" in the future. That said the triggers are totally acceptable for Duty/carry/target shooting. Mechanically, the P30s haven't had any issues. I occasionally see an inexperienced pistol shooter dump a magazine because they activate the release during recoil, but that's a shooter issue not a pistol issue. I've seen it maybe 3 or 4 times in the last year. I can't duplicate it myself, but I suspect it was an incorrect grip.

I would recommend expanding your scope to include the LEM. It will give you the hammer that you want, and a consistent, lighter trigger pull like an SA that you mentioned. I had to try it to appreciate it myself, but I found that it's my favorite HK trigger. The P30SK I shot was surprisingly accurate for a small pistol and I'd consider buying one for myself if I needed a hammer fired pistol.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
The USP Compacts are really haard to beat, but are blocks. The double action triggers are serviceable, but terrible.

I like the HK45C, and the USP45C. I picked up another HK45C with an LEM trigger, very gently used, this year. I think I paid about 1100 originally for the HK45C, and this last one was under six hundred. I couldn't pass it up. Nice LEM trigger, too.

I carried a P2000SK with LEM in .40 for a few years in an ankle holster, and in fact had one on when last married.

The HK triggers are probably the grittiest and worst quality double action pull up to the break, which is clean and crisp; there's plenty to stage and the reset point for the follow up is distinct and fairly short.

The HK pistols, particularly the .45, have a lot of pistol and a big wide feedramp for a low capacity. magazine; they feed very reliably, extract very reliably, and shoot well.

I had a USP Compact in an enclosed holster and spent some time crawling around some caves in a sandy environment. When I came out and went to check on the pistol, it was jammed and I couldn't move the slide. Locked solid. It's possible that it could have been shot free, but it didn't seem prudent, and I didn't want to score the barrel with any contamination that might be in there. It took a lot of work to get the slide unlocked. I've never seen another firearm do that after just exposure to a dusty or sandy environment, other than that HK. The rabid fans get upset over that story.

I have seen something simar on other hammer guns. It may not be the same thing. Some times grit and dirt will block the hammer from going into the cocked position. This effectively locks up the slide.

Since i have 0 cave diving exp while packing. I also doubt it was a planned for test during the pistols testing phase. Though certainly crawling through fine particulats ought to be.

The 3 failures i have had have been all from the same batch of 40 sw reloads back in 98/99.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My P30sk is one of my favorite guns I’ve ever owned. The trigger doesn’t seem too great but I just shoot it so well. I can’t explain it.. but if I do a mag of double action only, I shoot it better than my Glocks, and I have after market triggers on my Glocks so this makes it even more confusing..
just try a P30, you’ll love it

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
I do love my HKs, but have been spoiled by the great triggers on my Walthers.

My P2000 is very comfortable in the hand, and its trigger feels a little better than the trigger on my USP 45. The P2000 can be had for very reasonable cost (especially used like new).

I really enjoy the P2000’s concealability. It has dimensions very close to that of the Glock 19.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 19tass:
I'm thinking of adding an HK to the collection and am seeking recommendations. It would preferably be 9mm, hammer fired, and DA/SA, or straight up SA if they make such a thing. Primarily a range gun, with possible night stand duty. Thanks!

Since it's primarily a range gun, I'd go with a full-size USP of some sort. The USP line has several trigger options (variants) some of which have both a decocker for DA/SA and safety for SA (cocked-and-locked) use. This one is my favorite, a USP Expert (without the jet funnel extension). It has the match trigger, sear, match springs, match barrel with the O ring. That all came with the gun but I swapped out the front sight for a fiber optic. I think the SA trigger is very good. It's not as light as a good Sig, Beretta or CZ, especially one with custom action work, but it's a nice crisp SA trigger and the gun is very accurate. I shoot it as well as any pistol I own in single-action. The DA trigger is nothing special for sure even with the lighter match hammer spring. I was thinking of sending it to Robert Burke for some work but I really only use it as a range toy and shoot it mostly single-action anyway. I'm still thinking about it. The slide on this one is not really stainless. I had it CPII plated by CCR to cover a couple of dings on the slide. They did a great job.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
P30. The best pistol HK makes. Much more modern and ergonomic than the brick USP. Hold one and you will understand. Better trigger and rail system.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of throwingdown
posted Hide Post
So range use, 9mm and range use.

Two choices.

P7 series. Specifically P7m8 or P7M13. They are not inexpensive, but they are no longer made, keep increasing in value and are amazing firearms.

If you want hammer fired, the P9 series are great.

If you want a solid modern hammer fired nine, the expert or the USP tactical are solid choices.

The P30 series have great ergonomics but sadly the worst of HK triggers unless you go with the LEM trigger. Though the LEM triggers are highly polarizing. You either love them or you don't.

Posts: 423 | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of throwingdown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by throwingdown:
So range use, 9mm.

Two choices.

P7 series. Specifically P7m8 or P7M13. They are not inexpensive, but they are no longer made, keep increasing in value and are amazing firearms.

If you want hammer fired, the P9 series are great.

If you want a solid modern hammer fired nine, the expert or the USP tactical are solid choices.

The P30 series have great ergonomics but sadly the worst of HK triggers unless you go with the LEM trigger. Though the LEM triggers are highly polarizing. You either love them or you don't.

Posts: 423 | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
Many thanks to everyone for all of the good suggestions and recommendations!

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to say, HK makes one heck of a pistol.I am amazed at how nice the P30/VP9 fits my hands comfortably. I have said it many times, I wish more manufacturers would learn from the grip options for the frame they make. I had an older police trade in HK USP 9mm that looked like it was constantly drug and dropped on the ground constantly when it saw service but it functioned and shot amazingly.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I love my USP compact 9. It’s been 100% and i feel the USP series are the most well built of all the HK lines over the years. Maybe not as ergonomic as the P30, but I think the USP’s feel fine.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post