SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    HK Pistol Recommendations
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HK Pistol Recommendations Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Unless they fudged the whole thing, here's the test target I got back from H&K after complaining about accuracy issues with my new P30SKs/DA/SA-Decocker.

Couldn't shoot it well, and thought it was the hardware....and not me.

I was wrong.

Still learning how to handle it...great little gun and built exceptionally well.
But the DA trigger is LONG and Heavy, which for a CCW is probaby exactly what I should have...SA is very good, though still a little heavy.
Not what you are asking for...and NOT a great range/target gun but it's not built to be.

I shoot my 9MM Shield 2.0/Apex much better.

But I like the idea of a hammer fired system with ambi-safety for CCW.
[/QUOTE]

If you think the target's suspicious, blame HK and not me.

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
P30. The best pistol HK makes. Much more modern and ergonomic than the brick USP. Hold one and you will understand. Better trigger and rail system.

+1

I'll even go so far as to say the P30L.

I have a (relatively) new production P30L V3 (DA/SA w/ decock button) that had an excellent out-of-the-box trigger. So much so that I ran a few IDPA matches with it no problem.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drshame:

Couldn't shoot it well, and thought it was the hardware....and not me.

I was wrong.

Even those with the barrel o-ring for "enhanced accuracy" fire fine and are accurate without the o-ring. HK's are generally well made firearms out of the box, and more than accurate enough.

A few years ago I was at an indoor range with a USC. .45 ACP out of the USC with a 16" barrel is like shooting a .22; everything goes in a ragged hole, and it's easy to do (makes me look like a good shooter). The guy in the next lane saw that and asked what I was shooting. I showed him, let him shoot it.

He told me that his HK pistol had an issue, and asked if I'd try it. It was a USPC .40. It shot as it should, nothing wrong, accurate. He'd just emptied a box at the target in his lane and didn't hit it once.

He was a FFDO; a "federal flight deck officer," which is an airline pilot that participates in the armed pilot program. How he managed to get through the training program and still be unable to hit a target is beyond me, but in his case it wasn't the pistol, but the shooter.

HK pistols are accurate enough; for most of us the pistol is usually capable of more than we're able to deliver, making us the weak link in the chain.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like HK pistols. With some helpful input from this forum & a lot of research I ended up purchasing a USP40 & HK45. Bought both used. Both are outstanding firearms. The USP was originally designed for the 40 S&W. The recoil reduction system is unique to that series pistol & works quite well. Right now on some of the auction sites used USP40s in nice condition have sold for under $400. Might be worth while considering a .40 when a lot of people are selling them because of the 9mm hype. The HK45 is also built like a tank. However, the one drawback for me (& approximately 20% of people who shoot them, according to the research) is my trigger finger constantly got pinched when firing it. This is due to a trough that is in the trigger guard. The P30 series also has this trough. I suggest you try to shoot one before buying to make sure this feature isn’t a hindrance for you. I ended up selling the HK45 & hope to replace it with a USP45 in the future. I would also encourage you to do some on-line research of the USP series pistols as well as the HK45 as it is very impressive. And yes, double action pull is not great BUT this is a training issue that you CAN overcome! Good luck in your quest!

Posts: 192 | Registered: June 06, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would get a USP Expert and then you have the match HK trigger. I believe that is the best unless you want to go with a light LEM trigger that you could change out in the USP. Great Pistols.

They can be hard to find so if you find an Expert in the caliber you want, then buy it.

Posts: 243 | Location: OH | Registered: January 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have both Sig 226 & 229's and have been shooting them almost exclusively for the last three years, and really like the smooth DA pull, one 226 was sent to Grayguns for the P-PAK, and is amazing, so that is my reference as to what a quality DA/SA trigger is; my point is, don't overlook the LEM, as others have mentioned. We bought a P30sk for my wife as her carry gun, and she chose the LEM over the DA/SA, and neither of us had ever shot one, only dry-fired one in the LGS. After running about 700 rounds through it, we've both come to love it! We have the V1 (lite LEM) and the break is completely smooth, and although the reset is quite long, especially compared to our SRT Sigs, it's a great trigger system.
I liked hers so much, that I just bought a standard P30 V1 for myself, and will pick it up tomorrow.
Dry fire one if you can, you may be surprised...

Side note: an HK premium dealer told me the other day, that their pistols are quite scarce right now, due to production being on hiatus, due to them fulfilling a Gov't contract, so it may be difficult to find one to try out...

Posts: 198 | Location: SE Louisiana  | Registered: August 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
" I'm thinking of adding an HK to the collection and am seeking recommendations. It would preferably be 9mm, hammer fired, and DA/SA, or straight up SA if they make such a thing. Primarily a range gun, with possible night stand duty. Thanks! "

I recommend P 30 LE with LEM Trigger or P 30L with LEM trigger.

Posts: 92 | Location: Down South | Registered: October 25, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drshame:
Unless they fudged the whole thing, here's the test target I got back from H&K after complaining about accuracy issues with my new P30SKs/DA/SA-Decocker

If you think the target's suspicious, blame HK and not me.
Having shot many many HKs, I'm confident it's you. My P2000SK shoots like a laser beam, initially much better than I shot my P30 (both 9MM) but I figured out my P30 in short order.

I've shot USP45s/45Tacs where 10rds were all touching at 10 yards.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I would suggest that anyone looking for an HK not discount the P2000 and P2000sk platforms for carry or home defense. Especially, the LEM version.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
Try either a P30L or a USP. They are both excellent pistols.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
My P30SK SK V1 LEM is a pistol I shoot accurately and instinctively. A bit bigger to conceal so cold weather, but replaced my P7 as my bedside weapon.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post