SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Traditional DA/SA or Striker?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Traditional DA/SA or Striker? Login/Join 
posted
I went to the range this morning with 4 different 9 mm's. I believe in having one family of autos. I do carry a 40 semi auto at work. I wanted to see which handled and shot the best.

I first shot a Glock 40 (rented) to best approximate my work gun. I then shot the others with the same ammo. My results were mildly surprising to me.

First I am an ex police academy instructor and head firearms instructor for my PD. I went through state firearms instructor school with an HK P7 M13. I put together an auto pistol changeover course to convert from revolvers to semi autos. I did this with my personal P226.

After many years I had decided to go with a striker fired auto. I have heavily invested in Glocks. I have a 19 and a 17. Also have about 25 Glock 17 mags.

Today I took out the 17, 19, Sig 228 and my VP9.
My Shield stayed at home. I fired a little over 100 rounds. I had zero problems with any of them. I shot at 50 feet and 21 feet. The state requal test uses these distances as well as 3 feet.

The winner? Sig 228. Second was the HK. and the Glocks were not too far behind. I love the P 228 but expected problems going from DS/SA to SA. The 50 foot was shot solely SA.

Now I have to decide which to keep. I would like to keep them all but will not. I will be retiring before too long and want to downsize. I also have 8 revolvers.

Any advice?

Posts: 238 | Location: SW OH | Registered: September 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I were in your position and I shot them all fairly well, and I didn't have any sentimental attachment to them, I'd probably sell the ones I could get the most money for.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP, I would think that you being the head police firearms instructor at your dept. this should be an easy decision for you without any input from us? Personally, I am late to the game on strikers and have always been a traditional DA/SA or SA (1911 or BHP) and see the wisdom of strikers, especially Glock when you compare, size, weight, capacity, reliability and simplicity. My only issue with Glock is the 2X4 grip it offers! I keep telling myself, it's just a tool, not a beauty contest, but just about every other striker I pick up feels better ergo wise.
You mentioned revolvers, which are also a good choice for the NON LEO. (When you retire) 3-3-3 rule,,,,,,3 shots within 3 yards in 3 seconds. Not saying all you need is a J frame, but they do make a lot of sense for the non leo and casual CCW'er unless your "hard core" of course. Than you need a hi-cap primary with no less that 15 rounds and 3 or 4 additional hi-cap magazines just in case!
So, in closing, I would CCW what you feel most comfortable with. Personally, I have several in rotation; a small cancelable Shield and J frame for summer or occasions when that's all that I can hide, a hi-cap 40 cal with 2 extra magazines for those high threat areas I may frequent and an in-between almost every day carry...a single stack 1911, LW Commander, usually with an extra magazine in my pocket.
After decades of CCW'ing I have never been able to find a one size fits all CCW weapon.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigforever
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like you would shoot a caulk gun well. I think you have enough trigger time that you would adapt to anything you wanted to. What gun feels the best in your hands? Go with that.

"That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." - Neil Armstrong.

Posts: 235 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I couldn’t begin to tell you what to do with that resume. You’ve had a good career and be proud of yourself. Thank you for your service to your community(ies).

So I will only speak for myself. I would call myself a downsizing expert as stupid and silly as that sounds. For 25 years I’ve ran the battery like that on purpose. Financial reasons but I could afford more, I just choose to keep that safe tight. Makes things simple for me and I like to stick to only one trigger type at a time, and that’s the primary reason. I can easily deal with different controls on a TDA semi or revolver. Pulling that trigger back and forth from revolver, TDA semi, and striker is a combo that isn’t good for me.

If that was me and the winner was a DA/SA P228, then I’d say you are like me. You’ve spent so much of your pistol career on a good DA/SA that TDA is home. JJ made a post about this recently, and he is a firearms instructor and well respected here. I came to this same relevation back in September/October after reading a retired LEO and part time firearms instructor talk about draws where he is midstroke, and backed off because the siltation diffused. And the margin of error you get with a DA first pull, and the low ready, a lot of things that DA/SA is the ideal choice. Just me again here...I can stage that DA pull extremely well if the trigger is tuned up how I like it. 8-9#/4#, smooth, with a short reset. I can pull it and hold it right before the break easily. It’s home to me, because that’s what I gravitated towards after owning and renting a lot of pistols when I first started shooting them 25 years ago. First pistol was a Glock. The pistols I stuck with for nearly 20 years were a 229 for nighstand/HD/range gun, and a 239 for carry. And at times a Sig Pro for my truck pistol or beater. I even loaned it out to friends and family. And I often did Pepsi challenges during that time, but they’d always lose. Any carryable TDA was bought, carried, or rented, they just always lost.

I’d definitely keep your Sig P228 and selling a P7 right now, well I would not do it if you can afford to keep it. I’d hold onto that for years. It will only go up in value, and it is really one to keep if you can. Pick a Glock or two if you can afford it also. I’m partial to the 17 and 26 myself and never cared for the 19. If I had 6 revolvers I’d pair down there as well but that’s the worst and difficult to do for folks from what I’ve seen. For TDA guys, that’s like selling children.

Similar but different situation, for me recently so I can tell you what I did. I sold my Glocks, my second set and third time I’ve spent time on them during my pistol owning and carrying career. I never enjoyed shooting them as much as hammers, they just are better at everything else there is. Hammers are home, and while I will say no trigger type is the best, hammers are best for me. I like the positives the hammer provides and feel they give me the greatest control over the firearm and trigger system. To me they are like a manual transmission. With some experience, offer greater control over the pistol for me. I like the mechanics of the trigger type, and the feel they provide. After spending money and time it was like going back home. I sold my Glocks and other pistols. Went and bought my favorite carry revolver of all time first, and some speed loaders. Then got myself a set of PX4’s as I had briefly owned, carried, and shot the subcompact 8 years ago and loved it for carry and range. Then took advantage of HK current pricing and bought a P30/P30sk combination. I had to face the fact that no matter my wants for other reasons I’m best on a hammer. And pistols for me, are for carry purposes only. I need anything I carry to be a good range pistol, something I enjoy shooting, and am highly accurate with. I also need to enjoy carrying it so all metal pistols were out. Whatever you decide on doing I’d recommend looking at current PX4 and HK P30/P2000 pricing. One of them might really stand out for you. With this pricing they allowed me to really enjoy going back to TDA for good, allowed me to get the NS I really wanted, and allowed for some tuning up $ with the smith to dial them in. I’m thankful for the break in 2A attacks to allow me to make these decisions as I think I’m all done buying and selling. Tired of it. Can’t believe it took me this much time to figure out myself, my preferences, to ignore the industry and think for myself.

Sorry for the long response. I don’t feel you’d value my opinion without some historical. Hopefully something I typed may of be some small value. Good luck sir, and congrats on such a fine career again. It’s a good time to think about this and do it. While firearm values are down, you will have to sell a little low but re-buying or buying new, is low as well, so it’s a complete wash and prime time to make such decisions. Enjoy the time and make the absolute most of it. It is the golden age of pistols. So much to choose from, all excellently priced so you can be as picky and detailed as you want.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love me some DA/SA SIGs. One or two I'd never part with. But, did you put yourself on a timer? I found I'm roughly a quarter of a second faster on the first shot with my P320, and a touch more accurate to boot.

But that's assuming you're only looking at defensive point of view. There's a lot to be said for simply popping off some rounds at the range and having a very satisfying tight group.

I'm not much of a wheel gun guy, and 8 seems like you are well covered there, so personally I'd thin out them. But I'm not you. Maybe just decide based on which ones never seem to make the cut to take with you to the range.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Personally, which is what this is about...personal opinion...I'd go for the 228.

Of all my duty guns (HKUSP .45, S&W M&P .45, Glock 23, and S&W M&P .40), my DA/SA USP was by far the one I was most comfortable with and shot best with. Sorry, I'm not old enough to have started with a revolver Wink

I think you'll find in retirement that the 228 is big, and something in a pocket is more comfortable. At least that's what I think I'll decide. I carried a P239 daily since 2004 before becoming a cop and when off-duty.

All that said...I carry a G19 when I'm off now, with a Kahr PM9 as my "when I don't need a gun", gun. I may put my Sig P239 back into the rotation at some point.

I like the idea of a Glock, but I love me a DA/SA Sig or HK. And I hate those damn S&W M&Ps.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JGIORD
posted Hide Post
I come from a different perspective. I started with striker fired pistols and have grown to appreciate DA/SA over time. I never cared for revolvers and could never shoot them well.

If it wasn't for Glock knuckle I'd probably never look for anything other than the G19 and G26 I used to carry. I even needed to take a dremel to the G43 I picked up.

However, I always liked Sigs and for me they are the softest shooting 9mm I've tried and to me the best looking.

If you were to only keep 2, I would keep the Sig and the 19. Glocks are so universal and the 19 offers the perfect size \ capacity out there with parts available anywhere.

Posts: 461 | Location: AZ | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the 228 here. Or any DA/SA over striker fired. I started with DA/SA and have shot all the popular striker fired guns. I have yet to find one with a trigger that impressed me........other than the PPQ 9MM.

If I want a plastic high cap gun, I break out my HK USP 45. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I am moving all Sig and all DA/SA. I want the same manual of arms every time. I like the "hammer down - holster" aspect of the decocker, where a striker or DAK or DAO just "is what it is." I feel more confident in this manual of arms, to the point that I am switching a DAK to DA/SA.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a kid I shot a Red Ryder bb gun. My first handgun was a commercial P38. I bought it because it resembled the guns on a tv show called The Man from UNCLE. I could not hit the broad side of the barn. My fault, not the gun. On becoming a police officer, I got a model 19 S&W. Better than the P38 but not by much.

Then I bought a 6" Python (for $ 350). This greatly improved my shooting. I later traded to a 4" Python. I kept this until we transitioned to the auto. My P7M13 is long gone. I needed to show decocking for the academy and the other officers. Not easy with the P7. When the department bought the officers weapons, they got the Glock 22. I was long gone by then. I presently work for a large armored car company.

I will probably retire in about 3 years. I love revolvers and most of mine will never be shot. I still have the 4" Python and shoot it occasionally. The others are more on the order of collectors items. An auto is much better for self defense than an revolver. I hate to say it but it is true.

I have never liked the 40 and that leaves the 9 and 45. I have problems with some 45's recoil due to my hand size and 2 surgeries on my strong side hand. I went shooting today to try to make a decision. I guess I should sell some of the Glock stuff and concentrate on the P 228 and the VP9. I am a part of the security team at my church. I carry the 19 most of the time but sometimes it is the shield. I CCW some of the time and feel guilty for not doing it 100%.

Posts: 238 | Location: SW OH | Registered: September 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have tried many other autos over the years. I really love HK's and have tried many USP's, P2000's, and HK45 and 45c. I hate the triggers on the DA. I have found the LEM is nice but is so different from everything else. I did like the PPQ but prefer the HK. A 1911 is too heavy and I hate reassembling them.

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I would suggest repeating your exercise over three successive weekends and see if your results are the same before drawing any conclusions. It can be a quandary! I’ve found I could perform equally as well with the G17 and G19. After have Apex’d my M&P compacts, the 13rd capacity and size of the compact makes it a formidable carry. The Glock 43 disappears under an IWB holster just about perfectly. I’ve developed criteria through the years and learned to carry what the location, weather, situation and the way I must be dressed dictate what hardware I will be carrying along.
I’m very great full for spare mags...Good luck!

Posts: 13809 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pure shootability is very important, but it is not the only criteria you might consider. Some other considerations are perceived safety, especially if you AIWB. Spare parts and the ability to work on your chosen pistol is another. Weight is important to me as I spend a lot of time over hill and dale. Also, is there a system of sizes, and possibly calibers within the platform, to accommodate different levels of concealment and possible target considerations. Long way of saying is there are multiple considerations and you might prioritize attributes differently than I do.

Posts: 186 | Registered: September 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post