SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    .30 Luger with NO serial #
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.30 Luger with NO serial # Login/Join 
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted
I have a chance to pick up a very nice Luger in .30 Luger, it's probably a parts gun, but it has NO serial # on it anywhere, I cannot see any evidence of it being removed.

My question is, if I get it, and I in trouble, and if I have it, can I ever sell it?

the "cool" factor is there, so I want it...

What say yee???

Thanks,

Archerman

Posts: 2483 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Serial numbers weren't required until October 22nd, 1968. There are plenty of guns out there without serial numbers.

Totally legal under federal law, provided it never actually had one. A defaced firearm with the serial removed is still illegal.

However, there might be some state or local laws that prohibit non-serialed guns. (Like in locations where guns have to be registered by serial number.)

While I'm not a Luger expert, every Luger I've ever seen had a serial number, in multiple places (both full and partial). I'd be very suspect of one without any numbers anywhere. My first suspicion would be that they were removed, and the gun refinished.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
RogueJSK,

Email headed your way.

thanks,

Archerman

Posts: 2483 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Or possibly what is called a Lunchbox gun? Piece by piece removed from the Factory, then assembled by the worker at home. NOT unheard of in the world of Luges.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Out of curiosity, what's the current owner say about it?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are the factory proof marks present? AIR, the Imperial/Weimar era (1900 thru 1933) pistols had most (sometimes all -- even grip screws) parts proof marked. The proofs were unique to one particular factory.

Does the toggle bear a manufacturer's marking (Erfurt, DWM, Mauser Banner or numerical code)?

Is there a date over the top of the chamber? If not look down the muzzle at the chamber; does the portion surrounding the barrel look noticeably thinner at 12:00 than at 2:00 and 10:00? If so, the original marking has been ground off the chamber.
I have a .30 cal. "1920" commercial that 100% matches and has a ground chamber. It's has a re-cycled WWI receiver.

If you can determine the proof marks "match" each other and match the toggle manufacturers marking -- then you can be pretty sure you have a "lunchbox" Luger.

I possess a WW2 "bring back" police Luger (has sear safety and it's cut for mag safety) it 100% matches -- but it's a "parts gun" --- made from new and or re-cycled WWI parts. How do I know? The receiver bears a DWM proof while the frame is Erfurt proofed.

Get detailed photos and post on Jan Still's 'Luger Forum' website. Those guys will quickly identify what you are considering purchasing.

I would not pay a "premium price" for a parts gun, no matter how nice it was or how interesting the "story" accompanying it was. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't purchase it!

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pillboxesghost:
...or how interesting the "story" accompanying it was.

Amen. As the old saying goes, "buy the gun, not the story."

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All factory generated Lugers from beginning to the end came with serial numbers. I have been involved with Lugers since the early 1970s, and still own a "few". A Luger with NO numbers would not be a handgun that I would have any interest(collector or legal wise)in at all. If you wanted it for parts only, then that is a different situation. Just my opinion.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
It could be made of all spare parts that were never force matched.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34107 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
That makes some sense. I wonder if a person could have built a Luger (or any other gun) from an old Numrich catalog back before GCA-68?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
Commercial Lugers are not marked the same as military Lugers.

Not trying to be smart, but are you certain you know where to look for numbers? For starters look on the underside of the barrel closest to the "frame".

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TooTech:

Not trying to be smart, but are you certain you know where to look for numbers? For starters look on the underside of the barrel closest to the "frame".

All commercial and military Lugers had their frames marked......along with many other parts in various positions. If this Luger has NO serial numbers on the frame in front of the trigger guard, then that could well be a problem.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If there's no serial number on a Luger frame, I'd say it was removed in a havey polish before the gun was refinished.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I don't know about Lugers, but I have 3 old .22 rifles that don't have serial numbers. I'd say they're all made in the 20's or 30's. It happens.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many pre-1968 long guns were legally manufactured without serial numbers, but I've never seen or heard of a brand name handgun without a serial number unless it had been removed, which is illegal. I would not buy this gun.

Posts: 121 | Location: Ohio | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
quote:
Originally posted by TooTech:

All commercial and military Lugers had their frames marked......along with many other parts in various positions. If this Luger has NO serial numbers on the frame in front of the trigger guard, then that could well be a problem.

could be, or likely not,

if bubber the carjacker took an angle grinder to the serial, then likely an issue
if it was removed unintentionally during a refinish then likely not

think of it this way
there are hundreds if not thousands of Winchester Hi and Lo Walls (1885) out there,
the serial number as placed on the tang,

however, they were a popular benchrest/varmint type gun back in the day, and may tangs were cut, welded, polished or altered in a way that the serial number was eliminated,

I've bought and sold about a dozen over the years, and been thru ATF Compliance audits with them in stock,
no one cares

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Life Member
posted Hide Post
I've heard of no serial number guns that were used by governments. I think I remember reading that the German government sent firearms to the Irish resistance during WWI that had no serial numbers or other identifying marks. You might also remember the 7.62 CIA, a 7.62x39 round with no head stamps or other identifying marks given out by the CIA during the Vietnam war. You might have acquired a luger with an interesting but hidden past.

Posts: 2284 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post