SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    .40 S&W Backup for Boar?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.40 S&W Backup for Boar? Login/Join 
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted
I am just getting into hunting with a guy at work, and he loves boar hunting. He carries a .357 magnum revolver as a backup and says everyone should bring a backup in case you are charged. I was just curious if my P226 in .40S&W would work? I have a few of the 15 round magazines, and from what I read, I figure with a good +P round, I should be okay? Read a few threads elsewhere, but most of them were about actually hunting with the .40S&W. I plan on using a rifle to hunt, just carry the 226 as backup. What say you, SF? Anyone have experience with this idear?

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2440 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I weighed this a couple of years ago thinking feral hogs, not wild boar (just in case I was camping). Temptation was to go +P in my G21. Decided 357 in a seven shot L frame S&W. Buffalo Bore makes some stout 40 loads, but a 10mm or 357, 41, etc. beats them.

Posts: 3211 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
I was thinking 10mm semi auto or .357 revolver, but was wondering if I could avoid buying another gun. Sacrilege, I know haha.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2440 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSauerP226:
I was thinking 10mm semi auto or .357 revolver, but was wondering if I could avoid buying another gun. Sacrilege, I know haha.

Funny thing... this is often my rationale to buy another gun!

Former US Army, Sgt., 82nd Abn. Div. Paratrooper,
Infantryman, (81mm Mortars) Certified Armorer

Love God, Country, & Family

Posts: 89 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
A 10mm conversion barrel for a G21 would be the cheapest solution, if you have a G21 Smile

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
get a 357sig barrel for your fortay.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you go .40, try Underwood Ammo. I use the UA 180 grain bonded HP in my EDC P250. 1100 FPS and 480 FPE.
Underwood also makes a hard cast 200 grain load in .40

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YooperSigs,

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16066 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've shot a couple of boar. 40 caliber would not be my first choice. I've used 44 magnum to good effect. And once a 45 ACP but that was a unique circumstance and again, would not be my first choice. Particularly with standard self defense ammunition. A heavy for caliber, solid bullet works nicely.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carrying a handgun for backup, whether you are hunting actual Russian boar or feral pigs, is a foolish idea. I won't say stupid idea, because I like guns, and I wouldn't want to criticize someone who wants to carry a backup, but you would be better off carrying water or insect repellant (assuming you're actually moving around and not sitting in a stand or blind).

First, if your buddy is getting charged by hogs on a regular basis, he may not be an ideal "intro to hunting" mentor.

Second, if you already have a rifle, what scenario can you reasonably foresee that will require you to go to your backup handgun?

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Kind of going the way I was thinking, .40 would probably just be too small, and not enough power. I did see a Glock 20 locally FS, would that be a good option? Or should I just look into magnums?

He doesn't get charged regularly, but he's had wounded boar come after him and others in his party. It seems to have happened when they go into the brush to find the wounded boar. I believe he and the guys he has gone with are using bolt action rifles, making it hard for rapid or close up shots. I'm not sure why it'd be a bad idea just in case. Seems like, from what I'm reading, it's fairly common for people to carry a sidearm just in case.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
It will be fine for the purpose, particularly if you go with a stout, solid round.

When I asked this question some time ago, 3/4flap opined that my SigPro 2022 in 9mm would be perfectly adequate, and what was he carried in the woods, and what his son carries in the Forest Service.

Solid rounds ensure adequate penetration, and that is important on a hog.

Of course, if you need an excuse to buy another gun, .44s are nice...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12765 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
.40 is just fine for backup in the woods to a rifle.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I have shot a butt-load of Feral and Russian Boar and Sows and they are not all that hard to kill. I WILL say though, in a high stress situation, I want a BIG, POWERFUL, SOLID BULLET for me. I use max load 10mm in hard cast lead. No problems! Yes a Glock!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
A rifle is better but I don't always have a rifle with me. A pistol always. I have killed a few wild hogs with 45ACP and 10mm, and I am sure the .40 will get the job done. My most memorable shot was on a large sow that was charging me and I drew and fired with my 45. She dropped dead and skidded to within a few inches of my foot. Damn, wish I had video of that one.

Hogs are not that hard to kill-It's all about shot placement.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Glock 20 with Underwood hard cast rounds is what I use..

Posts: 2305 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
.40 is just fine for a backup gun for Hogs with the right bullets. Here in Florida the shots are short distances, of course a rifle is better. But, I have a friend that has been hunting them exclusively for 25 years with a 6" .357 magnum and has no issues with dropping them.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great choice. If you think you'll run into hogzilla then load it with these; https://www.underwoodammo.com/...riant=18785701167161

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know squat about hogs, although I do like a good pork chop. However, it seems to me the key word here is "backup". Similar to carrying a "BUG" when concerned about being charged by people. It's not as large or powerful as the primary because the odds of having to use it are lower. In both cases, the less effective backup still beats the snot out of nothing.

I have always carried a backup as a matter of procedure. Whether it is EDC or deer hunting. When hunting, I could still take a deer with my 6" .41 mag if the rifle was inoperable. Also available for other purposes, two legged and four legged. Free country, I don't care what anybody else chooses to do.

In its intended role, as others have posted, proper ammo selection is the key. If you already have a P226 .40 and shoot it well, I don't see a problem.

If close-range charging boars are a frequent, serious concern, I'd do like the Brits did in colonial India when hunting lions. A native gun bearer equipped with a 12 ga double barrel shotgun. Slugs, of course. Very good in the brush old boy. Hard to find a good gun bearer nowadays though Razz

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
I'll have to check out the Underwood ammo. Nice shooting Hayes, sounds similar to a couple stories from the guy at work, hence him saying bring a sidearm just in case.

Maybe I'll just be the gun bearer haha doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Like I have said, they aren’t that hard to kill, but you need to be steady when they charge. They come HARD sometimes!!!! Hence I like my 10 mm Glock, You can’t hurt it, Lots of rounds! GREAT woods back up!

https://imgur.com/a/jUb5GfY
That running at you full clip will cause a pucker Eek

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post