SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    It's Your Grip, Stupid!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's Your Grip, Stupid! Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
A couple months or so back I fell in lust with and acquired a Sig P210A Target. Wonderful handgun. A work of art, firearms-wise, IMO. I love it.

Haven't been able to shoot that pistol worth a damn Frown

Finally, after trying and trying and trying, with a laser practice thingy, to get it right, I decided me and the grips just weren't working out.

Then, don't know why, I found that if I applied a little bit of downward pressure on the left-hand swell in the grip with the base of the thumb on my strong hand, my aim steadied-down significantly. Particularly my unfortunate tendency to string vertically with this pistol.

Then, this morning, the penny dropped. Also shifted my entire strong hand's grip clockwise, so the swell on the back of the grip was further into my hand's pocket, more of the base of my thumb over that swell on the left side, and the barrel more in line with my forearm.

What a difference!

I just put 10-12 (laser) rounds 25' down range, one after the other--every one of them hitting w/in about a 1/2" or less of the "bull," with far less effort than ever.

Shooting for over 45 years and it took me that long to figure this out

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What did you used to do? A pinch grip?

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
What did you used to do? A pinch grip?

Don't know what a "pinch grip" is, but mainly the grip was oriented so the center was a bit more left in my hand.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Good for you Cool. I normally prefer pistols that are good shooters for me when I grip them as I naturally would and tend to be a bit forgiving if grip is not perfect in every regard. But the P210A is a special pistol with not a lot of grip options so I can see why you took the time to finally figure out what works for you and that is terrific and very gratifying.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've never shot a pistol that was quite so sensitive to grip positioning and tension. When (?) Hogue eventually comes up with grips I'll probably buy a pair to see if they solve the problem.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Also shifted my entire strong hand's grip clockwise, so the swell on the back of the grip was further into my hand's pocket, more of the base of my thumb over that swell on the left side, and the barrel more in line with my forearm.

Not sure as to your meaning of “clockwise” but assume that you adjusted by rotating your right shooting hand to the left to better center the grip spine in the thumb / finger web and align the slide with your forearm?

Regardless, I had noticed your post and am trying the same with my new 220’s. As compared to my old 226, I initially was gripping the thinner profile 220 as one might extend to shake hands or grip a racket (at least as I was taught in the 70’s) - ie with the hand and fingers extending straight from the forearm. The 226’s width naturally forces me to deviate by sufficiently cupping the thumb and fingers to adequately grip the weapon and thus the grip spine more naturally finds the web. But the single-stack 220 allows me to keep the hand and fingers extended in a relatively straight line and thus the grip spine seeks placement more towards the thumb knuckle vs the center of the web.

This surprised me since the 220 felt better when I first picked it up in a shop; I like the feel of that thinner profile. But that advantage wasn’t benefiting my shooting.

The difference isn’t huge and I’ve got more to learn about the grip (and the .45 in general). But, I recently registered as a member mostly to say thanks!

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post