SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anybody dye the polymer frame of an auto with RIT dye
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody dye the polymer frame of an auto with RIT dye Login/Join 
posted
Anybody try and change the color of a polymer auto frame by using RIT dye? I remember folks talking about changing colors of Magpul AR mags using RIT dye.

James

We the unappreciated
must do the unimaginable
and see the unthinkable
to protect the ungrateful

Posts: 801 | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did my 19 X and it turned out perfect , looked fact blk , never came off any where on the frame . I used blk Rit dye .the gun looked factory .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Everything I’ve read about it says that unless you’re dying same color, it starts to streak after a few draw strokes.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Rit is a fabric dye, and while it will stick for a while, it doesn't really penetrate the substrate. With any use it will begin to come off. I wouldn't bother on anything that gets more than light use. I had an HK USC that was dyed black, obviously just a range toy, and the mag well and other areas showed wear easily.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Texaspoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Everything I’ve read about it says that unless you’re dying same color, it starts to streak after a few draw strokes.

I have done quite a few frames with it, including my 19X's and several for customers.

It goes deep into the polymer and the only way to get the base color to show through, is by gouging it, and it has to be a pretty deep cut.

The advantage is you just re dye it and it colors in the cut.

here is one of my 19X's with the slide done in black DLC.

It's my range training gun, and the black hasn't worn anywhere.

Next to a 5th Gen G19 for color comparison.

TXPO

Coldborecustom.com

Posts: 258 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Texaspoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Rit is a fabric dye, and while it will stick for a while, it doesn't really penetrate the substrate. With any use it will begin to come off. I wouldn't bother on anything that gets more than light use. I had an HK USC that was dyed black, obviously just a range toy, and the mag well and other areas showed wear easily.

I tested the Rit dye on several Glock backstraps and other scraps of light color glock polymer before I started doing frames.

You have to cut the polymer very deep to get the base color to show through. The Rit dye gets very deep into the Glock polymer.

The shiny spots you get on frames from kydex holster on the factory frames, look the same on the dyed frames.

The H&K polymer is a reinforced polymer and dyeing it takes a bit more work, due to the fact it is less porous than Glock Nylon polymer.

Magpul mags use the same reinforced polymer and they will dye, but it is a bit more work, and it does wear on them easier than on Glocks polymer.

Dyed several Benchmade Bugout scales as well. They were in my pockets for a year with none of the black wearing off.

Bugout at a year, no wear and the scales were bright blue. You would see it if it was wearing through.

The dyes ability to last relies directly on what type of polymer it is used on. The softer polymers retain the dye better than re in forced ones.

TXPO

Coldborecustom.com

Posts: 258 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Years back I'd use RIT dye on RC racing parts, wheels particularly. The color held up very well to hard conditions. The conventional wisdom then was to mix in some salt with the dye to help penetration but I don't remember what sort of proportions worked best.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8343 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would it work on the coyote P320 medium frame? Liquid or powder dye?

James

We the unappreciated
must do the unimaginable
and see the unthinkable
to protect the ungrateful

Posts: 801 | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely test first on a backstrap or something. I've dyed a lot or AR parts, no issues with Magpul and I got a grey MFT stock to perfectly match the darker Magpul grey on a build. However, the KAK Shockwave brace wouldn't take the dye at all, really surprised me.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Texaspoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by depusm12:
Would it work on the coyote P320 medium frame? Liquid or powder dye?

James

I haven't tried it on the 320 frames, although there are several post out there of folks who have done it with success.

I use vinegar and salt in my dye mixture, and temp up to just a light boil. 30 minute soak, then clean.

TXPO

Coldborecustom.com