SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226 or P320?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 or P320? Login/Join 
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:

100% of those military and LEO P320s are being voluntarily upgraded.

Actually, no.

There is no "upgrade" to the military pistols.

I stand corrected. This is a really unusual situation where LE finds the upgrade critical, the general consumer has mixed feelings and finds the upgrade optional, and the military finds it completely unnecessary. Is there something different to the design of the M17 to the civilian P320?

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ It's my understanding that the M17, as originally designed/manufactured, already has the internal components the civilian/LEO pistols will be "upgraded" with.

Don't feel bad about being confused.

Personally, I don't intend to upgrade my own "civilian" 2015 P320, since I like it just the way it is. I also don't intend on precision dropping it from a four foot height at a negative 31 degree angle.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:

I stand corrected. This is a really unusual situation where LE finds the upgrade critical, the general consumer has mixed feelings and finds the upgrade optional, and the military finds it completely unnecessary. Is there something different to the design of the M17 to the civilian P320?

Other than the external safety for the army contract?

The military models already have the modification that the "upgrade" does.

As Nipper stated above, I'm not sure I'll bother with the "upgrade." I'll be monitoring others experiences, and I've signed up, but we shall see. I just bought another P320 and installed Trijicon HD sights last night. I'm quite happy with the designs as it exists.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
A ton of great information here. Thanks everyone for your responses. And thanks for the congrats.

I've always wanted a P226, then that damn P320 had to come out. I think I'm going to go with the P226 for many of the reasons you have stated.

I'm craving some all metal with a nice trigger.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Ha! That's awesome Big Grin

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Il go for the classic P226...even if its design is a bit dated for striker fired polymer guns Il still go for glocks

Posts: 254 | Location: Manila, philippines | Registered: January 24, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
My bias here shows but I'll roll with it anyways.

I like both. But, to me the 226 in traditional DA/SA outshines the P320. Some will disagree with me, I know. Once you learn the P226 on the first shot, it is a much more forgiving gun to shoot at speed. I taught an Advanced Pistol Marksmanship course yesterday and 3/4 of the pistols in attendance was DA/SA. I made the comment on how forgiving the DA/SA guns were over the striker fired guns and all the DA/SA guys agreed. They also stated that without taking the training they would have never believed it. Once you understand the DA shot, especially at distance, the P226 shines.

We shot bullseye as the standard for yesterdays course, and the high scores were all with DA/SA guns. To include a 293/300 that was shot with a 229. (Great job Ethan).

I'm a big fan of the P226, and always will be.

Sorry for the delay on this post, have been slammed at work since getting back from KY last Sunday afternoon.

For your intended purposes, my experience also suggests that the P226 would be the better choice.

To add further comment to J. Jones' post, I was the lone striker-fire shooter last Saturday with my P320 9mm FS. That is quite a contrast from our Practical Fundamentals class in OH in May where, IIRC, we only had two DA/SA out of the dozen-ish shooters that weekend.

With the exception of upgrades including the GG curved-face trigger and FAT guide rod and recoil spring, my pistol is stock. Over the course of this year I had elected to focus my training specifically with the P320, as I felt that mastering the DA trigger on my 226 would present additional complexity and potentially hinder my progress. Going into the training this past Saturday, I felt that the P320 may give me a slight advantage and perhaps help me bridge the skill level gap , but about half way through the day I began to realize that my logic may have been flawed, and was tempted to pull my P226 out of the range bag to finish out the day.

To be fair to the P320, I suspect that I may have been having issues throughout the day with occasional malfunction of the connection link between the trigger and the ground, and the P320 never missed a beat all day.

On the other hand, I do find that executing trigger prep technique, as instructed during the class, with the striker fire is more challenging than it is with the DA/SA. And, in the comparison between my P320 and P226 Extreme (which did go back to Sig last year for AEP treatment) the SA trigger pull on the P226 is cleaner than on my P320. That is not a negative comment on the GG trigger which I installed early-year, as that was a marked improvement as well. YMMV.

Going forward, I intend to transition to the P226 and apply all of the training fundamentals from the Advance Marksmanship class to further my skills.

The point is, don't let the DA trigger affect your decision regarding choice, if that thought is lingering in the back of your mind. The P226 is a fine choice.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Merc50,

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post