SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226 or P320?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 or P320? Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted
I know, I know, get both. But that ain't gonna happen.

However, I'd sure like to hear from members who have both and have shot both and have an opinion about both!

Right now, my heart is set on one of the two (unless something else jumps out at me at the gun store). This purchase is probably gonna be the last for a little while since we have a baby on the way.

The use for this gun won't be for daily carry and will be one to add to my collection or home defense. I already have the glocks taken care of and need another Sig...I'm most likely gonna go with 9mm.

It's probably a dumb question, but I'm really torn between the two.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
226 all day long, tried and true platform.

Posts: 2770 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me it'd be a P226LDC if I could freaking find one in the states......

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
226 all day long, tried and true platform.
+10000

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
The triggers on the 226s I've shot have consistently given me clearer and more specific feedback than the trigger on the one 320 I've shot a lot.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not gonna be carried and last purchase for a while? (Congrats BTW!)

P226. Be sure to get an SRT. And practice the hell out of that DA to become great with your other pistols. Plus you don't have to deal with the upgrade, and you can't wait for the production to resume.

That said, I really enjoy the P320, whereas I bought the P226 because it was a great price and it was simply a gap in my lineup. I hope to carry the P320, the P226 is just a toy for me.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I'll be the odd one out... I would go with the P320.

But it depends totally in what you like as a trigger

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Get both. Two 226s. Besides being one of the best guns ever produced, the are one of the best looking.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
I carried a 226 9mm and currently own several 320s. I was later than most to the 320 party. If I were to start my career over today, given the choice between a 226 or a 320, I would go with the 320.

The bottom line is I am more accurate with the 320 than I was with the 226.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:

Get your check book out.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/2300059034

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
226. There are some great buys on used 226's right now in .40, under 400 bucks. Down the road, drop in a 9mm barrel and you're g2g in both calibers. If you want to get crazy with it, a .357 sig barrel as well.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tough-one. I own both and enjoy them, but for different reasons. Given your criteria, go with the 226. I like FredWard’s suggestion to purchase a used one in .40. Then when you can afford it, get a Barsto conversion barrel. Congratulations on your new child!

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer somewhat the P229 to the P226, but the two are more similar than they are different.

I have two P320s (full size .45 ACP and 9mm compact) and two P229s, in .40 S&W and 357 SIG. The recent purchase was a CPO rail-less DA/SA P229 in .40 S&W. It is in beautiful, nearly like-new condition and cost a little less than $500, and I have seen better deals than that on CPO and LE trade-in .40 all-metal SIGs in the past year.

I like shooting all four pistols, but I do feel a greater sense of attachment to the all-metal, hammer-fired P229s. The P320 is a very sweet-shooting striker-fired, polymer-frame pistol and I have tried many including Glocks, Springfield XDs, FNs, HK VP9, M&P Shield (and a few other Smith and Wesson M&Ps) Walther P99 and PPQ.

But to me, a poymer-frame, striker-fired pistol is still a utilitarian weapon. I suppose the same can be said for any pistol, but my feelings for the classic P-series SIGs are different.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pblanc,

Posts: 372 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GP229:
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:

Get your check book out.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/2300059034

Oh sweet Jesus....

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I used to have a P228 and recently purchased a P320C. Close enough. The 320's trigger is easier for me to manage than that of the long reach 228, which made me have to hold the gun crooked. I wear a medium glove size. The 320 has been 100% reliable thus far. Just don't drop it. Razz

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a MK25, Legion, and multiple 320's. They all shoot well. If you take out all the extraneous noise, including the "upgrade", I say get the 320. As a collector of nice things I think everyone should have a 226 variant. As a shooter I find that changing out the grip modules and stippling/grinding/playing with textures/cutouts/stuff, the 320 is tough to beat. Once I found the small grip mods I find the 320 fits my hand and shoots as well as any gun I own. It certainly took over frontline duties from my gen4 G19. (Until this upgrade stuff, I have to admit I still shoot my 320 but it is relegated to range use till the drop safety stuff gets straightened out)

I know this is blasphemy to some but the plastic, striker stuff outshines the old school stuff for me. I like less weight, I like not caring about rough handling/scratches, I like buying new frame for 30 bucks, I like the 320 trigger, I love my 226's but the 320 is a good gun that I can rough handle (but not drop lol) and its modularity makes me not care. That is a good thing.

320. Or both.

Posts: 7457 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Given the info in your OP (not for daily carry, have Glocks for that), P226 all the way.

Great gun that should be in every collection and an excellent HD pistol.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a 226 with some g10 checkered or piranha grips, some mags, some ammo and shoot, shoot, shoot. And the short reset trigger is sweet too. Find one with that or add it later - I picked up a p224 sas recently with a trigger reset so short it was scary but great at the same time.

But yeah. I vote 226. My first 226 is the last pistol I would ever part with. Also since your going 9mm, check out a SAO model if you can, I have heard good things. I would have one myself if they made one in 40/357.

Posts: 177 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although the 320 is getting a lot of hype now,if it were me, I just couldn't resist getting a 226 or maybe a 228.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both. The P226 is a thing of beauty, but I mostly shoot the P320. The P320 is much easier to clean and somewhat easier to shoot.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post