Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old 1911's Login/Join 
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted
Now, I only have memories of it, but I realized most new 1911's have on the hammer an extra length of metal. I remember my grandfathers issued 1911 from ww2, and the new just look different. Now, I know the new ones will be different, but can anyone tell me will the feel of a new 1911 compare to an old 1911? Like shooting wise?

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Most of the GI 1911s had a wide spur or narrow spur type hammer. Many of todays sport Commander and skelotinized hammers which some are very fast compared to a heavy hammer with the spur. But yes, the pistols of today are a lot more user friendly, so to speak. In general the fit of parts has improved a lot. Heck, some production 1911s are down right excellent quality.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I think the extra length of metal you're seeing is likely the back of a skeletonized hammer spur.

My 1943 Remington-Rand has a wide spur hammer, and likes to eat beef. The Springfield Loaded Champion I traded for it didn't, but I wouldn't go back for anything.

Posts: 17127 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Most production 1911s now, include a series of modifications that are expected. Lowered and flared ejection port, feed ramp polish if not a ramped barrel, beaver tail.

As far as the "feel," well, I've shot some near century old 1911s that feel just like the modern ones, sans some minor niceties. Depending on what older gun we're talking about, it's all in the trigger.

The major change in the feel, for me, is the "bobtail," this modification makes the 1911 fit my hand perfectly.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Only big difference I note in feel is the move to upswept beavertail grip safeties. They do tend to be gentler on the hand during extended range sessions, but I've gotten to where I prefer the older GI type from a purely aesthetic perspective.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
Now, I only have memories of it, but I realized most new 1911's have on the hammer an extra length of metal.

This is not so.
Most current production hammers are smaller and lighter than older Government Models, a LOT smaller than the real 1911s made 1912-1925.
Are you perhaps looking at the popular beavertail grip safety?

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I too thought he may be describing the tang on a beavertail.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many newer 1911s have a looped hammer, where the originals had a spur hammer. Additionally, most modern 1911s have a larger tang, or even a large beavertail to protect the web of your hand (mostly from hammer bite, but possibly slide bite).

As for the feel, for the most part, a 1911 is a 1911. So a modern 5" Government will feel pretty much the same as a WWII 5". Now if a certain manufacturer uses different materials for the frame or something, that can change the feel a bit. Also, high end ones will probably feel tight compared to a beaten down service pistol.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
The majority of the WWII 1911's were 1911A1's (except for leftover WWI 1911's). The 1911A1's have a rounded mainspring housing, where as the 1911 was flat. They do feel different. I have 3 of the WWII 1911A1's.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Gold Cup has the flat mainspring which fits my hand better than a rounded one. Only difference i found on the older 1911s is the hammer comes very close to my fleshy part between thumb and forefinger.

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
my 1911 united states property has no beavertail to speak of, no cut away fr he trigger finger, a spur hammer, and a patent date of 1913. Oh, and a lanyard loop. Alas, a prior owner had modified it into a bullseye gun.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The earliest M1911 pistols, which was the original design, had a flat mainspring housing, short grip safety tang, long spur hammer and long trigger. This combination is notorious for "hammer bite" especially for those with large hands or a high grip.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Black Majik
posted Hide Post
Since you mentioned ww2 they’ll mostly be 1911a1s alongside possibly some older ww1 1911s.

Primarily most will have short triggers with arched mainspring housings. Very short grip safety and spur hammers. Shooting experience is similar to GI style NRM colt governments, Springfield Gi/milspec or rock island Gi 1911s. Put some plastic panels on new production 1911s for an even more familiar feel.

Here’s my 1944 Remington Rand which should be similar as a reference

Richard

Posts: 5515 | Location: California | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black Majik:

Shoots about 35 words per minute, right? Big Grin

Posts: 4499 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Black Majik
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
quote:
Originally posted by Black Majik:

Shoots about 35 words per minute, right? Big Grin

You should see the underwood carbines! Big Grin

Richard

Posts: 5515 | Location: California | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an ancient Colt with the rounded spur hammer and loved it. I put them on a number of other 1911s over the years, including a Commander.
It made the Commander look weird.
I have sworn off it now and prefer the skeletonized hammers now.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post