SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    38 Super recommendations?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

38 Super recommendations? Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

That is a beauty. In my mind, the only thing it NEEDS is a new grip safety. The old style Colt safety never fails to rub the skin off the web of my hand.

I'd go full sized. I have always wanted a .38 Super, and my grail would be a well-cared for pre-war commercial Colt from when they polished them so beautifully.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Having an Ed Brown grip safety installed, along with an extended thumb safety, and a new dovetailed front sight along with a BoMar style rear sight. Having the ejection port lowered and flared. Then...

See? It never stops.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another to think about is the .38 Super Comp. Sometimes .38 Super works on a 9mm breech face, sometimes it just doesn't quite. They are different because the .38 Super has the .38 ACP's semi-rim. The .38 Super Comp is a .38 Super with no rim, identical to a 9mm. It also solves some of the feed issues a double stack .38 Super can have with the semi-rims catching.

Posts: 67 | Registered: May 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:
...a two stacker in 38 super.

They can be had with some effort. I was able to put together both of these.

The 2011 was built from a box of parts. The Glock started out as a model 21.

Posts: 9141 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
Micropterus that is a beautiful pistol. I like the look of those markings compared to the huge letter billboard of some of the series 70’s.

I have a Les Baer Premier .45 that I prefer the grip of, they cut them a little bigger radius on the front strap. That’s why I’ve been considering a Baer. I originally tried a Dan Wesson Valkyrie in 9mm hoping to convert it for a light weight ccw piece. Breech face was too small, and I didn’t know about 38 supercomp at the time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: buddy357,

Posts: 715 | Location: Baltimore til I can get out of there. | Registered: June 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago, late 60s, I had a Star 9mm Parabellum. pistol similar to a 1911. The instruction literature specified 9mm Parabellum. Box label Identified it as 9mm parabellum. Stamped on the slide was “9mm/38”. I was at a range one day and a fellow had the exact same pistol and was shooting 38 Super in it. He insisted that it was designed for both calibers, hence the 9mm/38 stamp on the slide.

I have heard various opinions regarding the dual use of calibers of this model Star pistol. Some have said it was meant for an older 38 auto caliber, not 38 Super. I’ve never found a definitive answer. The pistol I observed functioned well with the 38 Super loads. Some internet discussions say that it is a 9mm Largo/ 38 ACP. Not Largo. Definitely labeled 9mm para in box tag and lit.

I never tried 38 super in my Star pistol. I was afraid that if the fellow was wrong about it being designed for both calibers and that I might have a barrel rupture or worse.

Anybody ever see this Star pistol model and know anything about the dual caliber capability?

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post