SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig Trailside ammo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig Trailside ammo Login/Join 
With bad intent
posted
Anyone know what kind of ammo Sig used for test firing?

I'm sure most match ammo would fine but I picked up a 6in Trailside and wanted to buy some ammo in bulk. Figure I could save myself some time and just order what they used rather than ordering 10 different boxes and trying them all

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Competent When Sober
Picture of Mad Max
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what they had used to test fire trailsides, but I can tell you that I have used both CCI standard velocity and Eley Target (yellow box) with great results.

Oliver Wendell Holmes - "The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions."

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: July 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
I've run CCI standard without issue for the past 8+ years in mine. I know that the trailside only likes the standard velocity stuff and nothing hotter.

Posts: 478 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Norma tac 22 is a fairly accurate standard velocity ammo. Not as accurate as Eley match or Lapua Center X, but in a pistol you would not tell much of a difference. Good price too.

Posts: 12676 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For many years, I shot on a bullseye team in a club that had a Ransom Rest and chronograph. Every couple of years, we had to buy more ammunition for practice and competition, and we did quite a bit of testing. Without exception, accuracy and reliablity in .22long rifle always went to a standard velocity, plain-Jane load. The difference we saw between this economical ammunition and target grade grade was never enough to justify our laying out the extra cash -and our team had shooters who qualified all the way up to Master. Sometimes our budget ammo even bested the best!

So do what you are trying to avoid. I suggest you pick up an assortment of a half-dozen standard velocity solids, and shoot 50 or 100 of each. You may want to try 100 if you are shooting handheld from a rest for accuracy. When you find the right round, do what we did: stock up on cases of that exact lot at the best price you can find. It is worth the effort. You will be very happy that you did.

When that is gone, repeat the testing. We rarely found any consistent, year-to-year, different lot winners.

Brian

Posts: 17 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: July 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I've got some varying Eely ammo that I'll try and a boatload of cc standard velocity good to hear I won't have to hopefully buy the expensive stuff.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pointman73
posted Hide Post
I shot 150 rounds of CCI Mini Mag HPs through mine last week with no issues. I've run Remington Golden Bullets and Winchester Dynapoints in the past with success.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

Posts: 104 | Location: From Philly, now in middle GA | Registered: June 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wolf match ammo was made by SK in Germany. When you can find it is usually priced right. Always shot well for me. Have heard rumors that it is now being made by Eley.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig hasn't test fired a trailside in more than a decade so I'd wager a guess you can't get whatever they used. Of the stuff that's moderately priced like MadMax I also have had very good luck with CCI standard. Mine happen to be very happy with Wolf match extra and Lapua polar (which is silly to shoot in it, but I bought it in volume when the price was OK). It doesn't make sense on price but Federal Target works well, but not enough better than CCI to make it worthwhile. In the end it really depends on what kind of shooting you are doing and what accuracy you want. The guns are not super fussy on ammo and not really that accurate (in context as is appropriate for the price point).

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Ammo that I've used with my Trailsides and my other 22LR target pistols, order based on what I've used the most so far:

CCI Standard Velocity
Wolf Match Target
SK Standard (which naturally shoots a lot like the Wolf MT that they also make)
Eley Target
Eley Subsonic (round nose, not HP)

All of the above ran well in both my 4" and 6" Trailsides. The CCI SV I have a good supply of so that got used the most. Both Wolf and SK were products that we got a ton in at the shop, so I managed to acquire a decent amount to augment my cache of 22LR ammo. The Eley Target and Subsonic surprisingly didn't sell well for us so my boss let us buy as much as we could stomach at cost just to get it out of the shop. Still wasn't all that cheap, but I managed to pick up a fair bit...for testing purposes of course. Wink In terms of accuracy, I'd have to say that I did the best with the SK and Eley Target but I could've just been having one of those rare (for me) 'good' days when I was shooting those loads (same range session, I'm pretty sure). I'm not really a disciplined bull's-eye "target" kind of shooter, but on those very infrequent sessions do I manage to surprise myself.

I've also shot a small amount of a couple of Aguila loads (Target and Match). Seemed to group pretty well but I didn't have a lot of it to shoot. I also tried some of the Federal Gold Medal Target subsonic as well, which I didn't do too badly with.

I have some Lapua Pistol King on order and have more of the Aguila ammo inbound as well. I also bartered with another LGS for additional Eley loads, mostly three of their Match types but also some more Target and their Tenex and Edge as well (the last two are intended for my CZ 455 but I may try some in my pistols as well). I got a couple of bricks of Winchester M-22 subsonic I found at Walmart that I'd also like to try, just to see what a 45gr bullet would do.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
In all my target pistols, High Standard, S&W 41 and my trailside I always like to use ammo rated in the range of 1070 fps or standard velocity. I try not to go higher than 1125 fps.

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Knowing what they used won't help you. Rimfire ammo varies from lot to lot, and you have to test it in your gun. That said, high-quality ammo, like Eley or CCI standard velocity will almost always perform better than the cheap stuff. But what, exactly, will be best in your gun will vary from batch to batch.

It will almost certainly be a standard velocity ammo. CCI is a good, not as expensive starting place. Eley makes some great ammo, but their premium stuff is not cheap.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pointman73:
I shot 150 rounds of CCI Mini Mag HPs through mine last week with no issues. I've run Remington Golden Bullets and Winchester Dynapoints in the past with success.

It's recommended to run standard velocity ammo with them. Some have cracked from higher velocity ammo. That being said I've had no problems yet.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post