SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    (If you already have a Desert Eagle and are a Ford guy) Will you get a 429?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

(If you already have a Desert Eagle and are a Ford guy) Will you get a 429? Login/Join 
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted
The Desert Eagle is also one of the most powerful handguns in the world, due to its peculiar gas-operated system that makes it capable to handle some of the hottest loads ever conceived for a semi-automatic pistol: a list that includes .44 Magnum, .357 Magnum .50 Action Express... and now, 429 Desert Eagle.

Anticipated by American specialized press sources at the end of October, the 429 Desert Eagle is a new chambering specifically developed for the iconic Desert Eagle cartridge to provide top performance for sport shooting specialties such as metallic silhouette shooting, as well as for big game pistol hunting in those U.S. States that do not allow .50-caliber handguns for use in taking big game.

The 429 Desert Eagle caliber is available in two variants: a 210 gr. JHP load offering a 533 meters-per-second (1750 fps) muzzle velocity and 1934,7 Joule (1427 ft.lbs) of muzzle energy; and a 240 gr. JSP load providing 495 meters-per-second (1625 fps) of muzzle velocity and 1907,6 Joule (1407 ft.lbs) of muzzle energy.

From a 6-inch barrel, the 429 Desert Eagle caliber offers a 25% velocity increase and 45% energy increase over a .44 Magnum. According to U.S. press sources, the 429 Desert Eagle is basically just as effective as a .30-30 Winchester on game out to 100 yards.

The 429 DE caliber uses .50 Action Express Desert Eagle magazines and bolts, and is similar to the .440 Cor-Bon round although not interchangeable with it due to the sharp 30-degree shoulder, consistent headspace and reliable function and velocity.

Magnum Research will also soon be releasing a lineup of 429 Desert Eagle 6-inch barrels in a variety of finishes. The 429 DE barrels will be compatible with any MK19 US-made or Israel-made Desert Eagle pistol with a wide .830” rail on top of the barrel.

For those who could find one, a .440 is still more potent than the 429. Finding a box of 440 ammo doesn't happen that often, so if I happen upon a 429 barrel...

.440 Cor-Bon stats:

240 gr (15.55 g) JHP Cor-Bon 1,800 ft/s (550 m/s) 1,727 ft⋅lbf (2,341 J)
260 gr (17 g) BCHP Cor-Bon 1,700 ft/s (520 m/s) 1,669 ft⋅lbf (2,263 J)
305 gr (20 g) RNPN Cor-Bon 1,600 ft/s (490 m/s) 1,734 ft⋅lbf (2,351 J)

Ford guys may already have a .460. Big Grin

Now if only I could wrap my mitts on a Bain & Davis barrel. Wink

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Ford guys may already have a .460. Big Grin

Well, as we used to say (back in the day) "a 55 gallon drum has a lot of cubic inches too --- but it don't run worth a damn either".

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
or maybe you are just a chevy guy and want a 454... casull

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
So this is a necked-down .50 Action Express with a long neck?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I built my 460 into a 521, I'll take one in Desert Eagle!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
lemmie know when they put out a 572 big boolit...

Posts: 23402 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I do like that Khar is trying new things. The rail on the frame and all of the paint doesn't do anything for me though. Guess I like the old school Desert Eagles, but if I happened upon a 429 barrel for cheap...

quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
or maybe you are just a Chevy guy and want a 454... Casull

You are in luck! The Magnum Research BFR will run on 460s and 454s. 45 Long Colt works too when you don't run high-test.
For you Mopar guys, the 440s can be found in a six pack. Buying a full box is kinda spendy.

quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
So this is a necked-down .50 Action Express with a long neck?

Looks like 50 AE brass necked down to a .44 caliber (changed it just enough to keep the Cor-Bon lawyers away?).

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
in those U.S. States that do not allow .50-caliber handguns for use in taking big game.

Well, that's interesting. What's the rationale?

I can understand having a minimum caliber/power factor, but why would a .50 be objectionable?

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And I believe BATFE limits handgun caliber to .50.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
in those U.S. States that do not allow .50-caliber handguns for use in taking big game.

I can understand having a minimum caliber/power factor, but why would a .50 be objectionable?

Many places want to ban anything with the evil "50"mark of satan all together. Roll Eyes Post election, my state will probably be next.

Yes originally the .50AE had a 50 cal bore diameter, but was changed to a 50 cal groove diameter so it could be imported. (thread drift)

Real 50 calibers Wink (usually the older ones) like the 50BMG, 50-70, 50-90,50 Alaskan, 500 Linebaugh use bullets from .510" to .512 or larger for some of the older BP guns.

"New" 50's like the 50 AE, 50 Beowulf, 500S&W , 50JRS use .500" bullets.

Posts: 21098 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:

Many places want to ban anything with the evil "50"mark of satan all together. Roll Eyes Post election, my state will probably be next.

Yes originally the .50AE had a 50 cal bore diameter, but was changed to a 50 cal groove diameter so it could be imported. (thread drift)

Real 50 calibers Wink (usually the older ones) like the 50BMG, 50-70, 50-90,50 Alaskan, 500 Linebaugh use bullets from .510" to .512 or larger for some of the older BP guns.

"New" 50's like the 50 AE, 50 Beowulf, 500S&W , 50JRS use .500" bullets.

Hmm...I didn't know that. To date it's not been an issue in my state, but then again come Jan 1 the venerable 10/22 will be transformed into an 'assault rifle' so who knows what will happen down the road? I suppose it only applies to cartridge ammo, since hunting with muzzleloaders typically means a projectile .50" or larger. Same with shotgun hunting for big game.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post