SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Question about p220 9mm grips
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about p220 9mm grips Login/Join 
100% Sea-Moose
posted
So.....now that I have acquired one if my unicorns (p220 9mm w/ American mag release from 97).....I was thinkin...would it be possible to use any 220 grips and have them fit? Or are there other differences which preclude this from happening? I've searched all over and everyone had answers for the heel mag release.

Also, what differentiates the heel released from the side mag release? It's it just a matter of having to cut in slots or is there more to that as well?

Posts: 301 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
You'll be good with most any newer P220 American style grips on your P220/9mm-1997.
Where the problem arises is when you try and put the older grips made for the metal based MSH assemblies on the newer guns that have the plastic based MSH assembly which needs grip material removed for the newer style plastic MSH bases.
The Euro grips are pretty much different then grips for the Americans.
They have a straighter back and are formed/notched to accept the Euro style MSH assembly.
I've never tried the euro grip on the American style frame but they are pretty much different.
I still have the right side Euro grip but have never thought of putting it on one of the P220 American that I have but I think its to fare undersized to ever be able to alter it to fit the P220 American MSH assembly then you'd still have the American style mag release notch to deal with which could be done but wouldn't look good externally.

Posts: 18032 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Hey, Good news.
Most of the grips will work. My preference of the checkered aluminum grips has not presented any issues. The G-10 grips are of the same specifications. These Hogue / Sig OEM are made to work with both.
The E-2 grips and the plastic OEM grips will require the MSH assembly to be swapped out as Mustang-PaPa has pointed out.
The screw centerlines from the European frame are about 1/4 inch off of the centerline for the newer American ones. So if you have an American mag release from 1985 nothing will swap out with them.
As a 1997 model, yours would look really sweet with some aluminum grips from a Elite Dark. Big Grin

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
NerdRage80 I have a complete P220/9mm from the year of 1995 which I'm pretty proud of. Its not unfired but condition is really nice which for me is better as I can shoot it and not worry about hurting the unfired value one would have.

Mags are really hard to come by and expensive when you can find them.

I lucked out and was able to procure one extra giving me a total of three. They just don't show up very often.

Posts: 18032 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
NerdRage, I have a P220 9mm. As mentioned, no way will the heel release grips fit your gun. There is also that frame reinforcement that occurred at about serial number 211000. Grips earlier, even though side release type won't fit guns after that number. Nill lists different grips for P220s before and after G 211299. I don't honestly know what dimension was changed.

NRA Life

Posts: 1563 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
100% Sea-Moose
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm definitely going to put aluminum grips on it when it arrives.....maybe the e2 grips....either way, I'm just stoked that the options are endless!!!

Now I just need to find more mags!!!

Posts: 301 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post