SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SIG DAK trigger
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG DAK trigger Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted
I know this was discussed recently and probably more than that.... can someone lead me to the discussion on DAK triggers?

Seem I just bought a P239 off Gunbroker with one.... did not realize it was DAK until after I placed my bid and then kind of assumed since I was the first bidder I would be out bid... but it did not happen.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Type in "DAK" in your search box. Tons on discussions on it.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just for your information, I will let you know that I actually like the DAK trigger. took a bit of getting used to but with practice you should have no trouble adjusting. I can shoot it just as accurate and as almost as fast as my Sig DA/SA. The DAK does have the advantage of not having to de-cock when not empty a magazine which makes it safer for those not familiar with a DA/SA.

Posts: 385 | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What Gundog55 said.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Me, too!

The pistol lent me for my CPL class was a P239 9mm in DAK. Am no sharp shot by a long shot, but shot the center out of the bull's eye with the first try Big Grin

As far as I'm concerned, you did very well!!! Smile

I absolutely love DAK!

Was able to have Robert Burke convert my M11-A1 to DAK, also Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Here's my story, and I'm sticking to it.. for a long time I was into DA/SA pistols in 9mm. Carried a Sig P230 (.380) for a good number of years, I switched to a Ruger LC9 to step up to 9mm and give this new fangled striker fired system a try... the two issues I had with the Ruger were it rusting from me sweating in the summer and being a little uneasy with striker fired for carry (something getting caught in the trigger guard when holstering) At about the same time I stepped 'up' to Sigs when I bought a standard P226. I also decided to go double action only with carry and tried both a P290 and P250 liked both of them but then fell back on DA/SA by going with a P239, which I wanted a number of years ago but could not afford. I really like the feel, look and shooting of the p239.. now my latest whim is to try the 357 sig caliber. On another whim I bid on a p239 in 40 cal on gun broker with the sure knowledge someone would go over my maximum initial bid.... $450......... well dang it seems I was the 'winner' and I then discovered it was a DAK model...according to some of you all I need to convert this 40cal to 357 is a barrel.. and also specific 357 mags even though some say the 40s will work... So, I not only have the pistol on the way but also a barrel and have already received the mags...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I for one love a DAK sig.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m another DAK fan. I have a lot of options for pistols to carry so I don’t really use this one much but it’s still a good trigger and the P239 is a great pistol.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
-----------------------------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of warbird1
posted Hide Post
I have two. The first I acquired previously belonged to a deputy sheriff. Has a great trigger. The second is an sas version. Both in 40. I have changed the sas to 357 Sig. It has a heavier trigger. I am about to install an 18# hammer spring. Hopefully that will take care of it. Love the DAK trigger system. Both are 229's.

If I want it... I need it !

Posts: 44 | Location: Heart of Dixie | Registered: May 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I picked up the P239 with a DAK trigger yesterday and I have some questions... while driving home I would rack the slide and trip the trigger hold the trigger back and rack the slide again and sometimes the DAK (first click) would not engage... it seems to work more reliably if I hold the pistol horizontal like when shooting it and also if I rack it as fast and hard as possible?

second issue: this does not seem like that short a pull on the trigger for the first reset.. seems almost all the way out...like maybe an eight of and inch before the full reset?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If the DAK mechanism is working properly, almost any rearward movement of the slide after the trigger is pulled and held to the rear should position the trigger bar so that the trigger will reset at both points. That’s what happens when the gun is fired. The position the gun is being held should make no difference.

Assuming I understand correctly what you’re doing, the trigger should hit two reset points as it’s allowed to move forward. I cannot think of a mechanical problem that would prevent that, but assuming the gun was previously owned, perhaps something inside is gunked up with dirt and old lube and interfering with movement of the trigger bar. Another possibility, I suppose, is that you’re just not feeling the first reset. Have you tried allowing the trigger to move about two-thirds of the way forward and then pulling it back to check if it’s reset? If it actually resets but you don’t feel/hear it, again something may be affected by dirt or other residues.

The true test of the mechanism, though, is obviously to fire the gun. If it functions normally, I’d still be puzzled by the failure of the short reset when manually cycling it, but not be too concerned. If the problem continues, though, I would first replace the trigger bar spring.

As for how far the trigger moves before reset, there will be some variation among individual guns, but to know for certain how much that is, it’s really necessary to measure it rather than relying on feel. And the “short” reset is indeed rather long. I just checked one of my DAK P239s and from having the trigger all the way back, it moves about 0.65 inch to the first reset point, and a total of about 1.0 inch to the full or “long” reset point. The first reset is short only in comparison to the full; it’s not like the single action reset of a DA/SA SIG.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got two DAK's, a P229 and a P220. Had them for a long time. The P229 is my bedside gun. A great trigger IMO FWIW. I've got a lot of other Sigs, so I'm a fan of the DAK trigger.

Posts: 111 | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Growing up shooting and carrying revolvers, the DAK trigger is perfect for me. I too own 2 P239’s a 9mm and a 357 SIG. I also own a P229 DAK.

Posts: 881 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I took the grips off while servicing the gun and lubed the heck out of the trigger mechanism and it seems to have both functions now... I just did not realize the first position of the trigger would be so far up and close to the second. I like the trigger pull of course the full one better but it is smooth and trips at the right point.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Good to hear. Thanks for the update.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
239 trigger geometry tends to lead to a slightly heavier pull than the other DAKs. My understanding is there just isn’t as much leverage to work with.

A damaged trigger return spring will result in the first reset becoming problematic. I discovered this swapping a pair of E2 grips out on a 229. Gun still functioned, but you couldn’t feel the first reset and I wasn’t confident about its engagement. New spring and the problem went away.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I’m a fan of the DAK system for duty weapons. It’s an easy system to teach to new shooters who might have a lot more interest in other aspects of the job than shooting. I’m faster and more accurate with SA guns, but not in a way that would likely result in any practical difference in a defensive scenario.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Just checked it again and works fine. 357 Sig barrel along with Crimson Trace laser grips and magazines I bought from a fellow member here should come in tomorrow and I plan to test it out next week. Prefer to go to my gun club during the week and since I'm probably still going to be an invalid from falling off a roof 2weeks ago... got the time.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt 127:
Growing up shooting and carrying revolvers, the DAK trigger is perfect for me.

^^^^^ This is why I love the DAK system also.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1351 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
actually I grew up shooting revolvers too but it did not help me.... even though my father taught me on double action ones he always showed me to shoot single action with them.... I could never shoot as good as him.... ne could put a rattle snakes eye out at around 20ft. (I saw him do it)

later on I did find myself shooting double action, I picked up a S&W model 19 and the trigger was so light with the hammer cocked I decided to learn to shoot it double action....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"