SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    So now I own a Colt 1911
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So now I own a Colt 1911 Login/Join 
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted
The other thread I started explains my initial motivation. But the process of finally bringing it home wasn't without its drama. I really didn't want to spend this kind of coin on a pistol right now and went back and forth on it A LOT over the past few days, but the darn thing kept calling...

The grip safety on this one is a rather noisy bugger; rattles a bit and as it bounces against the frame it kind of sounds like some meek bell off of a Christmas decoration. Haven't decided if I'm going to change out the grips; not liking the predominantly white look and the G10 texture seems harsher than it needs to be for me. The trigger feels okay, but it certainly isn't going to fool anyone into thinking that it's a DW. Still, in its entirety it's grown on me. Even the rail isn't particularly offensive. It does however seem like it needs a Surefire, though. Will likely take it out for a spin in a couple of days; I guess I'll find out first hand just how good (or bad) Colt is these days at putting guns together. And maybe do some web surfing to see what grip alternatives are actually available.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like it , and almost picked up a used one here maybe 3 month ago I think it was around 1100 or so . I did not buy it .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NICE! Congrats!

Cathy

Posts: 302 | Registered: August 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just love 1911's, nicely chosen

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
That is nice, what color is that called? What grips are those? That is a nice combo!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of highlander81
posted Hide Post
That's a great looking 1911.

If the G10 grip texture is an issue, you'll find out for sure when you give it a try. On my 1911, the aggressive G10's are fine on the right hand panel. The left grip panel abraded the palm of my support hand when firing. I'm looking at carefully sanding the left grip panel checkering.

Posts: 444 | Location: Southern Alberta, Canada | Registered: April 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Good looking 1911 & you saved some coin over the other Colt. Well played Sir, enjoy Wink

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an earlier m45a1 with the ceracote finish and it has been a solid performer since day one with a good trigger and great accuracy and reliability. As I age and thin the herd some it is my only remaining 1911. At some point I would still like to pick up an original 1911A1 military gun since I had several WW 1 era pistols but never an A1. But otherwise could be content with my M45A1 as my only 1911

Posts: 3288 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
Very nice purchase! I like the feeling of Colt 1911's. They have that old-school feel to them.

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I like it. Only 150 rounds of 230gr ball squeezed through but after following 200 rounds of 180gr 40 my tendinitis was yelling quite loudly for me to call it a day (that and a rain squall). My groupings were at best okay (10 to 15 yds), which seems typical for me whenever I shoot a 1911 following any session with a pivoting trigger. About halfway through the 45 ammo things were tightening up but then my elbow really started complaining and it went to hell the rest of the way.

I guess I'll keep it.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the recoil of the Colt does seem a bit softer than other 5" 1911s that I've shot, like my old Springfield Loaded and my SR1911. The dual spring recoil system appears to do what it advertises.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post