SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P220 10mm mag release issue
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 10mm mag release issue Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted
I bought one of these when they first came out. As I recall there were some threads about the mag release not working entirely properly. I believe there might have been a post by Bruce Gray.

When trying to insert the magazine, i have to depress the mag release for the magazine to go in. Yes, I could try to just slam it in. Perhaps that would work, perhaps it would resolve the issue eventually. However, forcing things doesn't seem to be a good strategy as a rule.

Anyone had this issue? How did you resolve it? Might a local gunsmith be able to either reshape the mag release (assuming that is the issue) or change it out for one that works correctly. I don't really know what the issue is in detail.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have to give mine a little slap to get the mag in.
Not unusual to me as I give pretty much all my mags a slap to make sure they are seated properly.
Nothing compared to the slap I have to give my RR AR to insert a loaded mag.
Lots of complaints when it first came out. I have one of the first released and I don't find it to be an issue that many make it out to be.
Though maybe mine is not as bad as others. As I said it is not much different than any of my other guns.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25353 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Mine is definitely more of an issue than my other SIGs and other pistols. However, having said that, perhaps I just need to be a bit more agressive.

I may be over compensating since I have, in the past, been a bit too agressive on occasion and broken things as a result. Trying to be smart rather than just using brut force.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I bought mine last November, and it came with the original style mags, which took an extra slap as you mention. Many folks recommended using P220-45 mags, which functioned perfectly and did not require the slap. The reason was at the top of the .45 mags, there are two "creases", which make the mag ease past the catch when inserting.

In late December, I decided to buy two more 10mm mags (because one particular Underwood round would not fit the .45 mags). I got them from Ammunition Depot. They had about 60 at the time, and all are SIG factory mags. What I discovered is that SIG has updated the 10mm mag by putting a very slight crease at the top on the side that slides by the catch. It is enough to eliminate needing to slap them. They just slide in like they should. I went back and got six more, because their price was good, too ($34, IIRC).

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

I bought mine last November, and it came with the original style mags, which took an extra slap as you mention. Many folks recommended using P220-45 mags, which functioned perfectly and did not require the slap. The reason was at the top of the .45 mags, there are two "creases", which make the mag ease past the catch when inserting.

In late December, I decided to buy two more 10mm mags (because one particular Underwood round would not fit the .45 mags). I got them from Ammunition Depot. They had about 60 at the time, and all are SIG factory mags. What I discovered is that SIG has updated the 10mm mag by putting a very slight crease at the top on the side that slides by the catch. It is enough to eliminate needing to slap them. They just slide in like they should. I went back and got six more, because their price was good, too ($34, IIRC).

I'll have to check. I have what might be two newer style magazines. The ones I'm having trouble with are original magazines.

I've also noticed SIG no longer sells the P220 10mm except in the "hunter" configuration. That's really too bad. I guess it didn't sell as well as they expected. Makes me consider buying another one. My FFL has another of the non-hunter finish in stock.

I supposed there are plenty selling on that auction site whose name shall not be spoken. As I said, I've been away for a while.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:
I've also noticed SIG no longer sells the P220 10mm except in the "hunter" configuration.

I was relatively late to the game for the 10mm, but last fall the only model SIG itself was selling was the Hunter. The other models were all Lipsey's specials. I got my Nitron SAO from Bud's at the time, which was nice because it was the model I wanted. Shortly thereafter, I noticed none of the Lipsey's models were in stock anywhere. I suppose SIG will make another run of Lipsey's models sometime in the future.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:

Could you post two pics showing the difference?

Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I've also noticed SIG no longer sells the P220 10mm except in the "hunter" configuration.

I was relatively late to the game for the 10mm, but last fall the only model SIG itself was selling was the Hunter. The other models were all Lipsey's specials. I got my Nitron SAO from Bud's at the time, which was nice because it was the model I wanted. Shortly thereafter, I noticed none of the Lipsey's models were in stock anywhere. I suppose SIG will make another run of Lipsey's models sometime in the future.

Mine is the DAO two tone. I see a couple of stainless and quite a few all Nitron for sale.

Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I checked and all the magazines I have had a crease that runs the entire length of the magazine, not just near to the top. I guess I just need to be more agressive.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not without digging out one of the two original mags, which are back in the SIG box. Smile But I do have handy this pic of the updated mag, showing the crease, or "pinch" at the top. I'm not referring to the crease that runs the entire length. The original mags did not have this little pinch. It makes all the difference in the world.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mine is the DAO two tone. I see a couple of stainless and quite a few all Nitron for sale.

FWIW, I just got a two-tone in from the latest batch at Lipsey's last week. Henryaz is right; whatever it says on the website, batches of different models should still be coming out from time to time.

Given the way Lipsey's will promote certain models or keep production alive for certain models (I'm thinking specifically about the Ruger #1 rifle), Lipsey's may be a better place to check than the SIG website to see what 10mm 220s are available or should be available in the relatively near future.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Mine must be an older version (SN: 37B02222X) and it doesn't have the pinch that henryaz is referring to. Time to shop for some mags...

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Not without digging out one of the two original mags, which are back in the SIG box. Smile But I do have handy this pic of the updated mag, showing the crease, or "pinch" at the top. I'm not referring to the crease that runs the entire length. The original mags did not have this little pinch. It makes all the difference in the world.

Thanks, that'll do it!

Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I'll have to check. I have what might be two newer style magazines. The ones I'm having trouble with are original magazines.

I've also noticed SIG no longer sells the P220 10mm except in the "hunter" configuration. That's really too bad. I guess it didn't sell as well as they expected. Makes me consider buying another one. My FFL has another of the non-hunter finish in stock.

I supposed there are plenty selling on that auction site whose name shall not be spoken. As I said, I've been away for a while.

Actually, the P220-10mm has been reasonably popular, enough so that it's recieving a new variant.
Stay tuned; you'll love this.

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ Hmm. Not the Scorpion?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grayguns:
quote:
quote:

Actually, the P220-10mm has been reasonably popular, enough so that it's recieving a new variant.

-Bruce

That's great to hear. I certainly love mine! Looking forward then to the new variant!

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

-Bruce

You Devil Dog You!!

Legion???

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25353 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Mine must be an older version (SN: 37B02222X) and it doesn't have the pinch that henryaz is referring to. Time to shop for some mags...

I have the old version too but they are easy to insert in my particular pistol.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Perhaps there was a mag release redesign as well at some point. Seems to be hard to find out these things. I expect Bruce Gray know all!

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:

-Bruce

Cool!

An all German 10mm X-Six!!! Big Grin

Okay, probably not. But it would be a great way to get folks (such as myself) to buy a Legion...

Keep us posted. Thanks.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post