SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Experts enter - Pistol Choices
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Experts enter - Pistol Choices Login/Join 
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted
Long story short I bought a CZ and had it customized for a dual purpose role of carry and competition.

I know this might sound stupid but I have a procedure that I run through before I will carry a gun. We have talked about them before here but it was a long time ago. So I spent a few dollars having the gun customized(converted to SAO/reset cleaned up/night sights/etc..) and then I put over 500 rounds through it. The gun then failed, tried a couple things and no luck. This post is not about my CZ or the exact reason it failed but it will require springs and a couple other parts.

I am looking to buy a replacement gun, the CZ will be fixed but never carried again, competition yes.

So help me decide on what to replace it with... I would prefer a beavertail but not a deal killer. Everything will be 9mm.

Two heads up:

The Sigs will be getting a action enhancement package.

The Beretta has been customized by Wilson.

Question:
What gun would you recommend?

Choices:
Sig 228
Sig 229 Elite
Wilson Combat Beretta Centurion

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Pick one. Holster selection will be far thinner for the Beretta, but I think the market will eventually catch up.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I dont like rails or tails on the 229 so the 228 got my pick. In 9mm iId take the 228 also. No sense in taking the weight penalty of a 229.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
They're all close enough that it's hard to see picking one on any basis other than what you shoot best.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You probably don’t want to hear this but for carry only I’d get a Glock 19 and just put some decent sights on it.

Posts: 456 | Location: Ocala, FL 34478 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cigardad:
You probably don’t want to hear this but for carry only I’d get a Glock 19 and just put some decent sights on it.

And I hate to be the guy to second it, but I guess I will.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:

And I hate to be the guy to second it, but I guess I will.

And I hate to be the guy to third this, but I guess I will.

H&K-Guy

ETA: Of your choices, the P228 is going to be your best option.

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I think I’d make sure my pistol worked satisfactorily in stock form before spending money altering/customizing it.

Agree that the G19 carry gun idea has merit.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
229 Legion SAO. Trigger work probably not needed.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
You Glock folks are like dealing with the BORG - the answers to every question is “Glock 19”. The OP lists 3 classic aluminum frame DA/SA pistols and people suggest plastic. I voted P228 because it’s the obvious choice here for carry. You might also look at the M&P compact. ;-)

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2223 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love Berettas. But as previously noted, holster selection is not as good and neither is sight selection. Furthermore depending on the model, some don't allow you to place different sights on at all (without sending it off for gunsmithing)

228's are good, but no longer in production. Wonder how well spare and replacement parts will be available in the future.

229's are still in production and going strong it seems.

You can go round and round with these discussions. I think just picking one and running with it is going to be your best bet (and agree that you should also consider others like G19, M&P 2.0, FN....)

cc

Posts: 5298 | Location: S.E. NC | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Texaspoff
posted Hide Post
First things first, since you are going to carry this for defensive situations, I would leave it as stock as you can.

Reliability trumps everything in a SD weapon.

Your wanting to have a pistol wrenched on to make it more go fast for use as a comp gun. That is fine also, but remember, race cars break down more often because they are high strung, running on the ragged edge. They require more preventative maintenance as well.

My best advice is to have two, one for SD and one for comp. This can be done with two of the same or completely different platforms all together.

If cost is a concern, pick up one, leave it alone and learn to shoot it effectively. Save some money, buy a second one and bling it out as much as you want and enjoy.

I'll echo what others have said about the Glock 19, or even a 17 for that matter.

I know they are not for everyone, and I get that, but they are very good for a dual purpose weapon.

There are quite a few masters shooting glocks. Mastering a glock is far more dependent on honing your skill set, than installing a go fast doo dad on your race gun, thinking it made you a faster, better shooter.

TXPO

Coldborecustom.com

Posts: 258 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
229 Legion SAO. Trigger work probably not needed.

This! And leave it alone.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like the legion line, I have a 226 sao and been thinking about the 229 to carry. The 229 elite is nice I was also thinking about it. In my case I don't like manual safeties on my defensive handguns so either the elite or legion would be my choice over the Baretta.

Posts: 929 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

My suggestion was along these lines, too. For carry, get something plain and basic. Don't screw with it much.

Of your choices, the 228 would be my pick.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not an expert. Of the guns you listed, I'd probably go 229 due to availability of carry gear, accessories, etc., even though I'm a fan of the Beretta 92 series. I think even a Centurion or Compact model might be a little chunky for regular concealed carry, though certainly do-able.

Since other people seem to be throwing out options you never listed, I'll mention one: Beretta PX4 Compact or Compact Carry. I just picked up the regular Compact and so far I really like it. Been setting it up with the low-profile controls from the Compact Carry. Not crazy about the stealth decock levers, but I've got a LTT "Fugly" lever on the way that will hopefully work better for me. Anyways, it's a decent quality polymer DA/SA gun, decently priced, can be converted to decock-only pretty easily, and if you get the Compact Carry version it comes with pretty much everything you'd need for a nice carry gun.

FWIW, I shot a 229 and a PX4 Compact side-by-side, and preferred the PX4.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Since you prefer tail, the only one that fits there is the P229 Elite. Get what you prefer. And, you don't even have to be an expert to see that. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
You Glock folks are like dealing with the BORG - the answers to every question is “Glock 19”.

Hey, you know what they say: “Resistance is futile.” Razz

Honestly, I really, really used to hate reading “just get a Glock 19,” so I get that. But I’ve also got a few nice pistols I would rather stay in my safe than the county evidence locker should I need to use it, and for what I would have put into one of them, I could have a pair and a spare of my carry piece. So, understand it’s only practicality that urges any of us Borg to chime in on queue. Wink

Whatever the OP decides to do next, he already admitted his procedure for setting up a gun for carry might be flawed, in that he had the gun customized first, then set about proving it for carry afterwards. Maybe a gun designed for carry that isn’t “customized” first and simply proven with round count and night sights may be the wise choice in the next go-round.

Wring it out, then ching it out. (You read that turn of phrase here first)

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Well...since I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Glock guy...

Full disclosure: I'm not an advocate of DA/SA triggers. Generally not a system within my MoA. However I have a P229 Classic Carry that I've become quite fond of; its DA isn't bad and I shoot it quite well at speed despite its lack of a SRT. If I had to choose between the three for myself...the WC is a no bueno to me, primarily because of its relative size. The P228 would require some change in spring weights given how heavy my KE's DA pull is. So that leaves the P229 Elite. I don't care for the aesthetics of the beavertail on P229s but it does help in indexing my hold on the grip. The rail is useful if a light and/or laser becomes part of the equation. And in general almost all types of P229 grips feel good and well purchased in hand to me. Plus it has the SRT on board. YMMV, but that would my choice of the three.

Of course there's always the Glock. Wink

EDIT: Borg? What's this Borg nonsense? WE ARE OF THE SITH. Dark Side, baby...an dona u forgetit.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd go with a 229. I don't think I'd get the Elite but it's your choice.
I am down to 2 pistols for carry now. Kahr K9 Elite (Summer) and an older 229 for the rest of the seasons.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post