SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Thoughts on S&W Shield 9mm
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on S&W Shield 9mm Login/Join 
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted
Very strongly considering picking up a Shield in 9mm for concealed carry. What is the SF collective’s thoughts on the latest Shield products in general?

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4550 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I have one. It's a good pistol but it's too big for pocket carry. If I have to wear a belt holster I want a pistol with more capacity and a grip I can get 3 fingers on.

I've read reports of the frames cracking and S&W not covering them under warranty.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I carry a .40 nearly everywhere. Love it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
I have the 9 and 45. No complaints at all!

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
You waited too long. You should have gotten one when they were running the $75. rebate.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4578 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I have one. It's a good pistol but it's too big for pocket carry. If I have to wear a belt holster I want a pistol with more capacity and a grip I can get 3 fingers on.

I've read reports of the frames cracking and S&W not covering them under warranty.

I have NEVER heard reports of the Shield 9mm with the frame cracking! I have heard of a couple reports of the 40's having issues "detonating", but it was determined it was caused by bullet setback creating excessive higher pressures, not the fault of the gun.
I have several Shields in 9mm, 40, and 45 and they all have been flawless, and offer a good compromise of size, weight, reliability and capacity for CCW.
My preferred Shield for CCW is a 9mm PC model loaded with Underwood 124 grain, HP, +P ammo.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I liked the one we got for my wife so much that I got one for myself. It shoots great for me.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought the original version when the rebate was available.

My impression is so-so. My biggest gripe is with the trigger. I find that when the striker is released, it jerks the pistol to the extent that it is hard for me to keep the sights aligned even during dry fire.

The small size of the pistol requires a recoil spring that is stiff enough that some shooters with limited hand strength might find it difficult to pull the slide back far enough to lock it with the slide catch. The design of the slide catch makes it difficult or impossible to release the slide from slide lock by using the slide catch lever.

I think with an Apex trigger kit modification the pistol would probably be a pretty decent shooter given its size. So far, my results with it have left something to desire, which I attribute primarily to the quality of the trigger.

Posts: 372 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I like mine. I’m a Glock guy through and through yet I like the Shield as much or more than my 43. Feels great and shoots very well. No issues with mine. Just wish it had a better trigger and not a huge fan of the way it hinges (again used to Glocks)

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
I have one with TLR6. It's a great pistol.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I have the Performance Center in 9mm for 3 years now; great pistol. Accurate, too. I wanted a carry pistol with a thumb safety, so there's that. I bought springs and a sear from Apex, polished everything, even the drop safety. Boy, what a bitch to get to. Smooth with a crisp reset now.

Anyways, I just started with IDPA and wanted to try the Shield in the CCP division, as no one was competing in that division. Nope, nope, nope: the ported barrel is not allowed. But I do have 3 NIB factory 8 shot magazines and a NIB plastic mag holder for sale. Cheap.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cousin Vinnie:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

I have NEVER heard reports of the Shield 9mm with the frame cracking! I have heard of a couple reports of the 40's having issues "detonating", but it was determined it was caused by bullet setback creating excessive higher pressures, not the fault of the gun.
I have several Shields in 9mm, 40, and 45 and they all have been flawless, and offer a good compromise of size, weight, reliability and capacity for CCW.
My preferred Shield for CCW is a 9mm PC model loaded with Underwood 124 grain, HP, +P ammo.

Yeah. That's what it was. Thee was a lengthy thread on S&W Forum about it. Been some years since I read it and I misremembered.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I had two in 9mm and one in .40S&W. They aren't for me. 100% reliable but I just couldn't shoot them as well as I could shoot other compact pistols.

If possible try before you buy.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the feedback! Hope to try one tomorrow when I head to the indoor range to do the initial sight-in on a new scope. Will try to use one as a rental while there if available.

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4550 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
My girlfriend just bought a 9mm Shield, ( pre- 2.0 ) this last December.

So far, she's fired about five hundred rounds from it without any issues. She tried out several other pistols and the Shield fitted her the best.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the 9mm Shield a lot. Mine has a pretty good trigger and I shoot it well. Extra magazines are cheap, PSA had a sale with 5 magazines and 5 boxes of ammo for $100.

The 45ACP Shield is even more awesome. Very soft shooter, and a nice big bullet.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2180 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hay2bale:

The 45ACP Shield is even more awesome. Very soft shooter, and a nice big bullet.

I heartily agree!

I just recently bought the PC .45 Shield and last weekend, I ran two hundred rounds through it. Flawless function, highly accurate and a very pleasant shooter.. so much so, my girlfriend is now eyeing it! Eek Big Grin

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love the Shield with an Apex trigger.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Is the trigger shipped on the Shield 2.0 the equivalent of an Apex trigger?

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Com 45acp
posted Hide Post
Love my pc shield 9. All I carry off duty.

Posts: 521 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post