SIGforum
Thoughts on S&W Shield 9mm

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/8410046734

February 12, 2018, 12:22 AM
bronicabill
Thoughts on S&W Shield 9mm
Very strongly considering picking up a Shield in 9mm for concealed carry. What is the SF collective’s thoughts on the latest Shield products in general?

February 12, 2018, 04:47 AM
arfmel
I have one. It's a good pistol but it's too big for pocket carry. If I have to wear a belt holster I want a pistol with more capacity and a grip I can get 3 fingers on.

I've read reports of the frames cracking and S&W not covering them under warranty.
February 12, 2018, 06:36 AM
Ronin1069
I carry a .40 nearly everywhere. Love it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
February 12, 2018, 07:26 AM
taco68
I have the 9 and 45. No complaints at all!

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)
February 12, 2018, 07:47 AM
rbert0005
You waited too long. You should have gotten one when they were running the $75. rebate.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.
February 12, 2018, 08:07 AM
Cousin Vinnie
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I have one. It's a good pistol but it's too big for pocket carry. If I have to wear a belt holster I want a pistol with more capacity and a grip I can get 3 fingers on.

I've read reports of the frames cracking and S&W not covering them under warranty.

I have NEVER heard reports of the Shield 9mm with the frame cracking! I have heard of a couple reports of the 40's having issues "detonating", but it was determined it was caused by bullet setback creating excessive higher pressures, not the fault of the gun.
I have several Shields in 9mm, 40, and 45 and they all have been flawless, and offer a good compromise of size, weight, reliability and capacity for CCW.
My preferred Shield for CCW is a 9mm PC model loaded with Underwood 124 grain, HP, +P ammo.
February 12, 2018, 10:58 AM
tha1000
I liked the one we got for my wife so much that I got one for myself. It shoots great for me.

February 12, 2018, 12:53 PM
pblanc
I bought the original version when the rebate was available.

My impression is so-so. My biggest gripe is with the trigger. I find that when the striker is released, it jerks the pistol to the extent that it is hard for me to keep the sights aligned even during dry fire.

The small size of the pistol requires a recoil spring that is stiff enough that some shooters with limited hand strength might find it difficult to pull the slide back far enough to lock it with the slide catch. The design of the slide catch makes it difficult or impossible to release the slide from slide lock by using the slide catch lever.

I think with an Apex trigger kit modification the pistol would probably be a pretty decent shooter given its size. So far, my results with it have left something to desire, which I attribute primarily to the quality of the trigger.
February 12, 2018, 04:22 PM
LincolnSixEcho
I like mine. I’m a Glock guy through and through yet I like the Shield as much or more than my 43. Feels great and shoots very well. No issues with mine. Just wish it had a better trigger and not a huge fan of the way it hinges (again used to Glocks)
February 12, 2018, 05:14 PM
bcjwriter
I have one with TLR6. It's a great pistol.

February 12, 2018, 05:38 PM
cne32507
I have the Performance Center in 9mm for 3 years now; great pistol. Accurate, too. I wanted a carry pistol with a thumb safety, so there's that. I bought springs and a sear from Apex, polished everything, even the drop safety. Boy, what a bitch to get to. Smooth with a crisp reset now.

Anyways, I just started with IDPA and wanted to try the Shield in the CCP division, as no one was competing in that division. Nope, nope, nope: the ported barrel is not allowed. But I do have 3 NIB factory 8 shot magazines and a NIB plastic mag holder for sale. Cheap.
February 12, 2018, 05:58 PM
arfmel
quote:
Originally posted by Cousin Vinnie:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

I have NEVER heard reports of the Shield 9mm with the frame cracking! I have heard of a couple reports of the 40's having issues "detonating", but it was determined it was caused by bullet setback creating excessive higher pressures, not the fault of the gun.
I have several Shields in 9mm, 40, and 45 and they all have been flawless, and offer a good compromise of size, weight, reliability and capacity for CCW.
My preferred Shield for CCW is a 9mm PC model loaded with Underwood 124 grain, HP, +P ammo.

Yeah. That's what it was. Thee was a lengthy thread on S&W Forum about it. Been some years since I read it and I misremembered.
February 12, 2018, 06:13 PM
sigarms229
I had two in 9mm and one in .40S&W. They aren't for me. 100% reliable but I just couldn't shoot them as well as I could shoot other compact pistols.

If possible try before you buy.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six
February 12, 2018, 06:19 PM
bronicabill
Thanks for all the feedback! Hope to try one tomorrow when I head to the indoor range to do the initial sight-in on a new scope. Will try to use one as a rental while there if available.

February 12, 2018, 06:59 PM
ARMT Guy
My girlfriend just bought a 9mm Shield, ( pre- 2.0 ) this last December.

So far, she's fired about five hundred rounds from it without any issues. She tried out several other pistols and the Shield fitted her the best.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

February 12, 2018, 07:13 PM
Hay2bale
I like the 9mm Shield a lot. Mine has a pretty good trigger and I shoot it well. Extra magazines are cheap, PSA had a sale with 5 magazines and 5 boxes of ammo for $100.

The 45ACP Shield is even more awesome. Very soft shooter, and a nice big bullet.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass
February 13, 2018, 08:38 AM
ARMT Guy
quote:
Originally posted by Hay2bale:

The 45ACP Shield is even more awesome. Very soft shooter, and a nice big bullet.

I heartily agree!

I just recently bought the PC .45 Shield and last weekend, I ran two hundred rounds through it. Flawless function, highly accurate and a very pleasant shooter.. so much so, my girlfriend is now eyeing it! Eek Big Grin

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

February 13, 2018, 10:16 AM
Chris Orndorff
Love the Shield with an Apex trigger.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

February 13, 2018, 10:25 AM
Warhorse
Is the trigger shipped on the Shield 2.0 the equivalent of an Apex trigger?

February 13, 2018, 10:48 AM
Com 45acp
Love my pc shield 9. All I carry off duty.