SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226 Mag Question/Details
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 Mag Question/Details Login/Join 
posted
Just picked up this WG P226. One mag has a plastic base plate and will not seat in the gun. Both German (dovetail) but assuming that plastic base is aftermarket. It is preventing full insertion and lockup. OTOH, looks like my P228 mag base plates.

So, Numrich has mags and baseplates. Anyone know if their mags are German dovetail mags? One small detail on the base plate they offer is that it's not marked P226, so I'm guessing that's US?

New mag: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/928570A
Used mag: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1734630

Base plate: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/965740

Posts: 54 | Registered: February 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esh21167:
OTOH, looks like my P228 mag base plates.

You called it. Previous owner for some reason put a P228/229 mag baseplate on a P226 mag.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And I know this is hair splitting, but only the one mag is marked Sig Sauer.

I don't know the history of the markings and the circular proof, which is earlier/later.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
My guess is that the one on the top is for a P226 and the one on the bottom is for a P229.

The earliest P226 magazines had 'P226' stamped on either the front or rear of the baseplate (these are somewhat rare).
A few years later, they were mostly unmarked and also made the SWAT ($) mags.
With the introduction of the .357 Sig. magazines (also hard to find) they began marking the 9mm also with the Sig Sauer branding.
Later they went to the .40 and .357 nomenclature that they use now.

There are other variants that could be worth mentioning, but not trying to go in to too much detail.

The Numrich listing is good so that if anyone had an early P226 they wouldn't expect an early P226 magazine.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
My guess is that the one on the top is for a P226 and the one on the bottom is for a P229.

The earliest P226 magazines had 'P226' stamped on either the front or rear of the baseplate (these are somewhat rare).
A few years later, they were mostly unmarked and also made the SWAT ($) mags.
With the introduction of the .357 Sig. magazines (also hard to find) they began marking the 9mm also with the Sig Sauer branding.
Later they went to the .40 and .357 nomenclature that they use now.

The upper mag is marked P226 and likely was never separated from the gun, that supposedly was a police gun. If true, I'm sure there were hundreds of extra mags that just got thrown in a pile, and a second one put with the turn in guns. So likely a lot of different types.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a SWAT mag?

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
^^^

A SWAT mag is one made by Sig Sauer for the P226 that holds 20 rounds. They can be had for $125+ each.

quote:
Forgive my ignorance.

You're fine. You can't learn if you don't ask. Big Grin

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
I think a SWAT magazine is just a 20 round factory magazine.

I can't tell if the magazines Numrich is selling are dovetail or not. They are getting harder to find.

The baseplate Numrich has is relatively expensive but if it's new it's not outrageous. Midwest Gun Works sells new baseplates for P226 magazines for $8.50 but they are sold out. I know those fit dovetail magazines because I replaced a couple of mine with the ones from MGW.

If you want higher capacity magazines look at the Mec-Gar 18 or 20 round magazines. The 18 round flush fit and they are not too expensive.

Posts: 4075 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
The 18 rd. Mec-Gar AFC (Anti Friction Coating) Mags are AWESOME....Next to the SIG German Dovetails, they are the best Mag available for the P226 IMO!

They can be purchased from our own Greg Cote here --> https://gregcotellc.com/cart/s...p22618afc-p-614.html

And, the Mec-Gar Padded Floorplates were a factory OEM accessory from SIG. I have them on my German Dovtails and if they ever come back in stock, I highly recommend them! Wink

https://gregcotellc.com/cart/s...00el39i006shr3eqc2o6

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8788 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't know the history of the markings and the circular proof, which is earlier/later.

That circular mark on the back of the magazine with the P228/P229 base plate is the traditional marking of Sauer / J.P. Sauer & Sohn GmbH. It is not a proof mark.

Posts: 18 | Location: Elgin, Texas | Registered: July 14, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:

So, Numrich has mags and baseplates. Anyone know if their mags are German dovetail mags? One small detail on the base plate they offer is that it's not marked P226, so I'm guessing that's US?

New mag: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/928570A <---Their pic shows the German mag. And, P226 German mags are always dovetailed back.
Used mag: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1734630 <---The pic in this link show a Mec-Gar mag.

I should also mention that, many vendors just throw out a stock pic without mentioning what is what, who is the manufacturer, etc... You think you'll get a German mag based on a pic, then you receive something else. If you want to be sure, you need to contact Numrich and ask.

But, with our friend Greg Cote, what he says on his website is what you will receive, no worry. Same with TGS, what you see is what you will get.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post