SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig GSR Compact Stainless 1911CO-45-SSS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig GSR Compact Stainless 1911CO-45-SSS Login/Join 
Picture of BKLYNIRISH
posted
Picked this gun up a few days ago. I note that it's no longer in production and have a few questions.

When was this model produced and why was it discontinued? Were there issues common to the gun?
Any recommendations for necessary upgrades or preferred magazines?

Obligatory pictures:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BKLYNIRISH,

Posts: 62 | Registered: January 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
I suspect your ... front sight no longer illuminates?

I have night sights that were installed prior to 2000 that are still visible in the dark. They have been changed for new, brighter sights, but it’s not as if they just turned themselves off after 12 years.

But I am curious about the OP’s gun and its sights.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Should have all barstock parts which is good. I actually had the same gun and mine went back to Sig 3 times before I sold it for a huge loss. The take down notch on mine was cut way to deep and the gun would lock back prematurely 3-4 times per mag. I'm sure eventually Sig would have bought it back from me or replaced it but I was done messing with it.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
That's a nice looking pistol! I'm impressed with the quality of SIG 1911's in comparison to other brands at the same price point. They are a bit unconventional, but they certainly perform!

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BKLYNIRISH
posted Hide Post
New CCW piece, and my first non-full size 1911. I'll probably send it back to Sig for the SSP. It clearly doesn't have too many rounds through it, but it's not new, so new springs, an inspection, and new nights sights can't hurt.

Picture of BKLYNIRISH
posted Hide Post
Just heard back from Sig. She was built and shipped in February 2009.

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BKLYNIRISH:

That makes sense, a 2004 model as stated above would have had the manhole cover on the slide. Also back then Sig wasn't using nickel plated extractors like your gun has.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:

That makes sense, a 2004 model as stated above would have had the manhole cover on the slide. Also back then Sig wasn't using nickel plated extractors like your gun has.

How can you tell the extractor is nickle plated?
It looks just like my manhole cover/sharkfin grip safety GSR that has an EGW stainless extractor.

- -
ETA: OP, I had some problems with mine at first, sent back to SIG. (mine had the wrong sized series 80 levers in it) After it came back, I gave it to my gunsmith for a trigger job and he said, "There was just a lot of little shit to do inside of it."
It ran 100% after SIG fixed it -> after the trigger job it is one of my favorite 1911s.
If yours runs fine and has a decent trigger, I wouldn't send it anywhere.
I use Wilson 47D mags, pick them up when they're on sale. They have NEVER been an issue.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:

How can you tell the extractor is nickle plated?
It looks just like my manhole cover/sharkfin grip safety GSR that has an EGW stainless extractor.

- -
ETA: OP, I had some problems with mine at first, sent back to SIG. (mine had the wrong sized series 80 levers in it) After it came back, I gave it to my gunsmith for a trigger job and he said, "There was just a lot of little shit to do inside of it."
It ran 100% after SIG fixed it -> after the trigger job it is one of my favorite 1911s.
If yours runs fine and has a decent trigger, I wouldn't send it anywhere.
I use Wilson 47D mags, pick them up when they're on sale. They have NEVER been an issue.

The color. Sig originally started with all Stainless parts then went to a nickel plated extractor and eventually a nickel plated slide stop as well. I don't know why they do this, looks ugly with contrasting finishes. Especially since they use a matte nickel that looks gold.

Picture of BKLYNIRISH
posted Hide Post
Off to Sig for the SSP.

Picture of BKLYNIRISH
posted Hide Post
Any holster recommendations for this gun?

Picture of BKLYNIRISH
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, this gun is not quite working out as well for me as I thought it would, as I simply favor full-size guns. I am considering adding an extended magwell to simply add that extra length.

Thoughts?

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
The purpose of that gun is to be more concealable not less. If it's not working out sell it.

Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unfortunately, this gun is not quite working out as well for me as I thought it would, as I simply favor full-size guns. I am considering adding an extended magwell to simply add that extra length.

Thoughts?

That is actually my preferred format for CCO guns. Just make sure it's not a beer bong funnel or you night as well just get a Commander.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BKLYNIRISH
posted Hide Post
Perfection (for me, at least) was adding a magwell & VZ Operator IIs.

Picture of BKLYNIRISH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perfection (for me, at least) was adding a magwell & VZ Operator IIs.
New shoes.

Picture of BKLYNIRISH
posted Hide Post
IWB holster recommendations?

Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
No rail. I like it.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post