SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P220 Compact Magazine Issue
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 Compact Magazine Issue Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
A buddy recently acquired a P220 Compact SAO. Nice gun, but he's having some magazine issues. He has several different Sig factory mags, both the 6-round flush-fit and some full-size 8-round P220 mags. A couple of these mags work ok, but most of them are hanging up when inserted into the gun....so badly that you can't seat them all the way, and if you force them getting them out is next to impossible. They appear to be hanging up on the mag catch when you insert them, even if you fully depress it using the button.

All of the mags work fine in my P245. Looking down into the mag well (sorry, I don't have pics), the body of the mag catch (not just the part that engages the slot in the mag, but the entire mag catch) slightly protrudes into the mag well at the front and on the sides....probably 3-5 thousandths. This is not the case with my P245, where the entire mag catch is recessed into the slot, and only the "hook" that engages the slot in the mag extends out beyond the slot in the frame into the mag well.

We figured he had an out-of-spec mag catch, so he ordered a new mag catch and installed it (he's a P-series armorer, so he's not unfamiliar with the platform), but the new mag catch is pretty much exactly the same as the old one, and also encroaches into the mag well and hangs up on the mags. He tried inserting mags without the mag catch installed, and they went in and out fine, so the problem clearly lies with the catch.

I compared the mag catch button on my P245 to his, and there are a different number of serrations making me think that it may be a different part, or maybe a different manufacturing process in the later generation. The obvious solution is to file the mag catch to fit and re-install it, but we're wondering why this is an issue in the first place, and if anyone else has experienced it.

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check the trigger bar spring for proper fit. Had the same problem on my P245 when I changed grips, only to find the lower arm of the trigger bar spring was sitting too deep, and contacting the magazine body.

A superior pilot is best defined as one who uses his superior judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.

Posts: 369 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Thanks...I brought that up and I believe he checked that, but I'll have him check again.

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post