SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The Model 10/71 - Browning's Answer to GCA '68
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Model 10/71 - Browning's Answer to GCA '68 Login/Join 
Picture of hjs157
posted
In response to the infamous 1968 Gun Control Act, Browning modified their existing M1955 to earn the necessary "points" required for importation. A direct descendent of John Moses Browning's revolutionary M1910, the 10/71 was an odd marriage of target features and a slim little pocket pistol. The adjustable sights are identical to those found on early 1970's Hi-Power Sport models. The barrel was lengthened to 4.5" with thumb rest grips and a finger rest magazine rounding out the transformation. Until yesterday, I had never examined one of these pistols. Though somewhat odd in appearance, quality is everything one would expect from Browning in the early 1970's. Even so, with the obtrusive sights it is practically useless as a a pocket pistol. As a target pistol, I doubt it is going to win any medals. As a result, sales in the US were sluggish resulting in the pistol's discontinuation in 1974. Still, this one followed me home from my LGS yesterday. Given the condition of the pistol, I'll likely fire a few magazines then retire it to the oddball corner of my safe. Thanks for looking!

Mint 1971 Browning Model 10/71 .380 ACP

Posts: 3506 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Interesting post, thank you.

Those sights would look right at home on a Hi Power.

Please give us a range report; I wonder if it will be easy to shoot accurately.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I know it's not an altered Walther, but that still looks like something straight out of "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I remember those, even had some interest although I never acted on it. Will we get a range report?

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is an odd - but cool looking pistol. Congrats on the snag and thanks for the post. I've never seen one before.

Jerry

Posts: 158 | Location: Oregon | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
It looks brand new from your photograph.
Be proud you have a pistol, not many other people own.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
I saw one of these yesterday at my LGS. 499.00.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post