SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Colt is bringing back the King Cobra
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt is bringing back the King Cobra Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
IIRC, my dad had a King Cobra in the early 90s.
For my young (8-ish) self, it was a soft shooter, though he could've been loading it with 38Spl.

He never shot it well & sold it to a nephew for what he paid ($4-500) Eek and bought a P239.
It wasn't until he later saw the resale prices of them that he realized that he pretty much gave it away.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15286 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
Maybe they will perfect the design by the time they make the Python. A sub $1000.00 Python would be awesome,pending quality is not substituted.

They'll never bring back the "old" Colts. It took skilled personnel to bring those to life. Now they just have assemblers, who throw MIM parts together as fast as the robotic machines spit them out. Frown

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
Maybe they will perfect the design by the time they make the Python. A sub $1000.00 Python would be awesome,pending quality is not substituted.

They'll never bring back the "old" Colts. It took skilled personnel to bring those to life. Now they just have assemblers, who throw MIM parts together as fast as the robotic machines spit them out. Frown

The original King Cobras and Anacondas were assembly line guns. And just guess what the internals were made of?

Posts: 239 | Registered: April 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
The Colt King Cobras were crap. Little doubt the new ones will be, too. In recent years, I witnessed the price of the original King Cobras skyrocket. Feel sorry for the derps paying those prices.

The first .357 I owned was a Python, 4". You couldn't go wrong with the finesse. Hard times had me part with it, but some years later, I stumbled on the Colt Trooper MKIII in 4", the "Poor Man's Python". I ended up owning almost ten of them, in varying condition. Had a couple that had a few cylinders fired through them, and a few that had seen police duty. Every one was reliable and had zero problems.

Handled a handful of King Cobras when they came out, initially because I wanted a 6" to hunt javelina with. What a POS it was. Still, picked up a few more over a few years - every one a pathetic rendition of a real revolver. Crude. Best way I can describe them. A shadow of their predecessors.

Had 95 handguns at one time. Even almost a dozen Ruger Security Six's in 4" (can't beat the overall performance of those simple and almost sexy budget pieces). 45 were .357 Magnums, all in 4" except two in 6" for hunting.

A 3" mass produced recreation of something that was 'meh' to begin with?

Good luck with that.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
So how is this going to affect the value of my 6” SS King Cobra? Until the first reviews come out on the current revolvers short comings, of course....

Probably make it worth more.

maybe more, but surely will not make it worth less,

Snake gun prices ebb and flow, so there will always be some flux in the prices

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Mayhaps they will make the Trooper series again too. The only Colt that I currently have is a Trooper MKIII from 1960 and its in pretty decent shape although it does have a small scratch at the muzzle on one side.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your MkIII is definitely not from 1960.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
If I really wanted a King Cobra, I'd get a real one. These are like Hollywood remakes of good films.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I admit I was never impressed with the original King Cobra anyway, but that new thing is a King Cobra in name only. Is US Armament or Charter manufacturing these? Doesn't really matter. Colt will sell all they can have made, because they say ~COLT~ on them. Appearance, actual quality, etc. doesn't matter......

BTW Tommydogg, I bought a new MKIII Trooper in the early '70s. Certainly nice guns, but they weren't introduced till about 1969. I had a '60s Trooper, but it was a much different gun than the MKIII.

NRA Life

Posts: 1563 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
Not giving Colt any kudos on looks, for sure.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P6shooter
posted Hide Post
You had me all excited for a second! A 4" Stainless King Cobra was my very first handgun...This new gun isn't really a King Cobra Frown

Posts: 820 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post