SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Red Dot Sight Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red Dot Sight Question Login/Join 
posted
I have a Sig P320RX that I'm not quite certain how to set up for competitive shopioting. I initially zeroed it so the red dot appeared to be sitting on top of the front sight. However, if I try to shoot fast I have to search for the dot because it seems to be hidden behind the front sight, if the front sight is slightly higher than the rear. I obviously have a lot to learn, but you guys could help a lot. Any suggestions?

Posts: 160 | Location: Los Lunas, NM | Registered: November 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
There are some videos on the internet that show you how to zero a red dot on a pistol. I zeroed mine for 10 yards, which puts the red dot on the front sight. When I aim, I hold the pistol the same way that I would for using the co-witness sights, which puts the red dot low in the window.

Mine is new to me, and I am still going through the learning curve of keeping the dot in place. Dry firing every day is the main thing that is helping.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I generally remove the front sight to reduce the visual confusion.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The answer depends a bit on what kind of competitive shooting. But in general if what you are doing does not require you to have iron sights available (the tactical matches I go to sometime make you run your irons) then just zero the dot at the appropriate distance. For me I pick 25y as that's generally the max distance I have to make speed shots in matches. Everybody has a learning curve on finding the dot and some presentation practice is required to be good at it. Like tha1000 on my true steel speed guns the irons are not even there and I use the rear dovetail for a slide racker. My first suggestion would be to ignore that you have irons set the dot to the distance you need and practice a bit, the problem will go away.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Long Draw:
I have a Sig P320RX that I'm not quite certain how to set up for competitive shopioting. I initially zeroed it so the red dot appeared to be sitting on top of the front sight. However, if I try to shoot fast I have to search for the dot because it seems to be hidden behind the front sight, if the front sight is slightly higher than the rear. I obviously have a lot to learn, but you guys could help a lot. Any suggestions?

Here is what I did to get my red dot spot on..

First I aligned the iron sights as if I was aiming at a target. I noted that the red dot was directly on the front sight dot.

I turned off the optic and with a gun rest, shot at 21 feet and was hitting about 1.5 inches directly below the bullseye (6 0'clock).

I then adjusted the red dot a tad up and on that same gun rest, the red dot is spot on. I never have to use the iron sights again (Unless of course I have optic failure).

Hope this helps..

EDIT: Based on what I have read on this forum and others, I am fairly confident the reason when using my iron sights it was hitting low was due to me having a #6 front sight and a #8 back sight.

USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) Bremerton WA.
Sig P938/238 Equinox
Sig P320C RX
Colt Mustang XSP FE

Posts: 50 | Location: Southeast NH | Registered: March 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
My opinion: zero the dot in the center of the window, ignore the sights. Ignore the sights when you shoot. Takes some practice but is much quicker than trying to cowitness anything at speed.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3188 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy a Sightmark laser Bore Sight for the correct caliber of your pistol. While the laser dot shows
on a wall or what ever you're using adjust your red dot right on that user dot.
I set mine at forty feet. The distance you set it is up to your idea of where you'll be shooting at
But__at forty feet you should be pretty accurate and anything closer and likely at anything fifteen or twenty feet beyond that forty.
I use a Sightmark laser bore sight to set all of my red dot sight. A few minutes and you're finished.
Stay safe out there.
Poli Viejo

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the input. It is helpful.

Posts: 160 | Location: Los Lunas, NM | Registered: November 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
My opinion: zero the dot in the center of the window, ignore the sights. Ignore the sights when you shoot. Takes some practice but is much quicker than trying to cowitness anything at speed.

LOL. Most of you are confusing what co-witness means.

In a red dot sight, when one is sighted in, it doesn't matter where the dot is within the window, if the dot is on the target, the bullet will hit the target.

Co-witness refers to the relationship between the physical dot sight and the iron sights A true co-witness red dot sight will have the dot, when it is in the center of the window, align with the iron sights and the target, all at the same time. Lower 1/3rd co-witness will have dot in the lower 3rd of the window when the dot touches the top of the sights and everything is aligned with the target. This is all dependant on the physical height of the entire red dot sight on the gun.

With pistols and red dots and iron sights, if you can see both sights through the window, and you the iron sights are properly sighted in, and the red dot is sighted in, when you align the iron sights on the target, the red dot should be aligned with the iron sights as well. The red dot should bisect the top center of the front sight while it is also in the center of the target. This will probably mean all this is happening in the lower part of the window on a pistol.

When shooting, you can use the front sight to help you find the dot but once you've found the dot you can ignore the iron sights and the dot can be anywhere in the window. As long as the dot is on the target, the bullet will hit the target.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcba_joe
posted Hide Post
Irons and RDS are distinctly different sighting systems and should be adjusted and utilized independently of each other.

Zero RDS (ignoring the iron sights) at 25Y.

Then lots of presentations to teach yourself how to pick that sight up. You should, with practice be able to acquire the dot quickly without using the iron sights and relegating them to backup and not as indexing points.

Posts: 195 | Registered: August 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
I want to be able to switch back and forth from red dot to iron sights. Which means that I want my red dot on my front sight and zeroed the same. This way, I present the pistol in the same way each time. Doesn't matter if I'm shooting red dot or iron sights. If my red dot is higher in my window, then my hands must be canted differently when I present the pistol. Just like when I point shoot, I want to present the pistol the same way every time.

It doesn't matter if I'm point shooting, using the red dot, or iron sights, I present the pistol the same way every time.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John3200:
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:

LOL. Most of you are confusing what co-witness means.
If you say so...

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3188 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Horn:
Buy a Sightmark laser Bore Sight for the correct caliber of your pistol. While the laser dot shows
on a wall or what ever you're using adjust your red dot right on that user dot.
I set mine at forty feet. The distance you set it is up to your idea of where you'll be shooting at
But__at forty feet you should be pretty accurate and anything closer and likely at anything fifteen or twenty feet beyond that forty.
I use a Sightmark laser bore sight to set all of my red dot sight. A few minutes and you're finished.
Stay safe out there.
Poli Viejo

Yes, but in addition you still need to go out to the range to fine tune your red dot due to bullet weight, etc.

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm confused. How do you adjust where the red dot appears in the window? Aren't you adjusting the sight so the red dot appears in the same place as bullet impact at a certain distance?

Posts: 301 | Registered: November 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaveS:
I'm confused. How do you adjust where the red dot appears in the window? Aren't you adjusting the sight so the red dot appears in the same place as bullet impact at a certain distance?

Mark off a certain amount of feet in your home, say 30 feet. Use the Sightmark Laser Bore Sight and adjust your red dot for elevation and windage so that the red dot coincides with the laser dot at that given distance, say a far wall. Now you should be close. Go to the range and shoot at 10 yards,(30 feet) and readjust for the ammo you are using.

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At least on the red dot's I use DaveS is correct. You cannot affect the location of the dot other than its POA/POI adjustment.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post