SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    sig 2022 vs 2009 ,9mm caliber
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

sig 2022 vs 2009 ,9mm caliber Login/Join 
Tuesday was gone when I told her my name is the breeze.
posted
sig folks
I have a neighbor who wants to sell a few guns.He has a couple 2009 pistols in 9mm.I should know this,but i figure i can get better advice from you sig pro's.,than my old memory.

Is the 2009 sig pro 9mm the same gun as the 2022.I have a couple 2022 guns.I fact i have one in each truck on the ranch.For whatever reason,the model 2022 has the same or less recoil in my hands than a all steel 226.Same ammo,same target,all conditions are the same.

I would like to get these 2009 sig pro handguns if they are the same as the 2022.

Thanks for all advice folks

Posts: 1796 | Location:  | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are similar. Earlier Sig Pros had a proprietary rail, while the SP2022 has a picatinny rail. I don't think the 2009s have loaded chamber indicators and the sp2022s do.

I have a 2340 in 357 sig and a 2022 in 9mm. The 2340 is much smoother in the trigger and has a different type of polymer. I noticed it because the led light in my safe makes the 2340s frame look like a plum color, while the 2022 is jet black.

The 2009 will cone with bar dots and the 2022 will come with 3 dots, unless there are night sights involved.

Hope that helps.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cous2492:
I don't think the 2009s have loaded chamber indicators and the sp2022s do.

LCIs aren't a defining characteristic of the 2022, though some do have them, not all.

That said, outside of the rail difference mentioned, they're essentially the same tuumunz. If you already have several 2022s in 9mm (which means you have mags and the like) I'd say go for it.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

I tried to capture the plum colored polymer, but it wasn't easy. I used manual mode on my phones camera, so please excuse the overexposure, but it does show the difference.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SiGagain
posted Hide Post
Many times the frames on the 2009s will be made in Switzerland or Germany rather than USA...

Bill

Fast is Fine...Accuracy is Final
*SiGARMS GSR Revolution STX
*SiG/Sauer*P220*P226*P228*P230*P245*SPC2009*P365

NRA Benefactor Life/LEAA Life Membership

Posts: 2410 | Location: ChicagoLand, USA | Registered: November 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There have been many changes since the introduction of the SigPro, many of which are listed below in all of their gory detail:

- frames have been made in Switzerland, Germany, and the United States
- switched from the original proprietary rail to a Picatinny rail
- changed the decocker from a high plastic piece to a lower folded metal piece
- changed from serrations to stippling on the front strap of the frame's grip
- switched from an internal extractor to an external extractor
- changed from Large and Medium grips marked SigPro to Medium and Small grips marked SigSauer
- one type of grip had an extended lanyard loop (French police contract over-runs?)
- the slide finish was changed from Nitron to Ilafon and back to Nitron, with natural stainless also available
- the depression in the right side of the frame around the slide lock lever pin was enlarged
- the front of the trigger guard was changed from rounded to hooked
- the Fire Control Unit was originally available in DA/SA or DAO; I don't think DAO is available any more
- the takedown notch in the slide was moved back and then forward to where it started (French police contract over-runs?)
- a slide-mounted manual safety was available at one time
- the mag release button's surface was changed from textured to serrated
- a loaded chamber indicator lever was added to recent models
- the firing pin positioning pin was changed from a solid pin to a roll pin

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tuesday was gone when I told her my name is the breeze.
posted Hide Post
thanks guys,so the 2009 rail wont take the same lights or lasers or other 1913 style rail items.?

Posts: 1796 | Location:  | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 2009/2340 had a proprietary rail. SIG sold a light and a laser to fit the rail. I cannot find any reference to a SIG-made adapter.

Here is a website with several lights shown near the bottom of the page. And here is a copy of the manual for the light.

SureFire apparently did make some kind of adapter for the 2009/2340.

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a 2009 years ago when they first came and was not impressed. The decocker seemed hard to operate and the pistol felt huge in my hands,even with the medium grip.

With that being said, I recently bought a SP2022 and like it a lot. The 2022 grips seem thinner/smaller than I remember compared to the 2009. Are the grips interchangeable between the two models-2009 and 2022? Numrich has a few different grips for the 2022 but not the 2009. They even added color options, if that interests anyone.

Depending on how much your neighbor wants for it, it might not be such a bad pistol but I much prefer the 2022 for the reasons noted above with other posters. I swore I would never get another Sig polymer pistol but I got a deal on the 2022 that I couldn't refuse and really dig it.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vincent317
posted Hide Post
quote:
They are similar. Earlier Sig Pros had a proprietary rail, while the SP2022 has a picatinny rail.

Slight correction. I've got a German SP2022 that has the proprietary rail.

Posts: 593 | Location: NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vincent317:
quote:
They are similar. Earlier Sig Pros had a proprietary rail, while the SP2022 has a picatinny rail.

Slight correction. I've got a German SP2022 that has the proprietary rail.

I’m almost certain that a while back a batch of new old stock guns were sold that had the older frame with the newer slide. Speculation was that SIG Germany had some leftover 2009 frames and used them to build complete guns. I wonder if your was one of those? When did you buy it?

quote:
Originally posted by patw:
Are the grips interchangeable between the two models-2009 and 2022?

Yes they are.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vincent317
posted Hide Post
My German SP2022 has a date of 10/12/2009 on the box. If I remember correctly, I purchased it a couple of months after the box date.

Posts: 593 | Location: NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
I got mine in March of 2013.
It has a LCI, and an external extractor.
Date on the box is Dec 2012.

Posts: 3220 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
Mudd has one with a proprietary grip, asi have one bought around the same time with the stainless slide and it has the picatinney rail. Overall i like the sigpro like so if you got 22 why not?

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Heck, I wouldn’t have posted a thread to ask if it had been me. I’d be posting a thread to show off my now-doubled family of Sig Pros. Razz

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any word yet if you got it? Remember, pics or it didn't happen.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Buy them? I would put the swiss frame up there with the German frame. I picked up another this year for ~375.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Can the decocker in the 2009 be replaced with one from the 2022?

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an Exeter made and a German made SP2022. The German made one has a noticeably smoother trigger and tighter fit frame to slide. The Exeter one has a feint click before the reset (almost unnoticeable while shooting). Both shoot very well.

Posts: 279 | Location: Arlington, VA | Registered: March 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just picked this up from my FFL. From what I've heard, the 2022 has been sold in different configurations over the years. Some included a grip module but only one mag. This particular one has no grip module but two mags:

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post