SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Noob Question re Reassembly
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Noob Question re Reassembly Login/Join 
posted
I have a new P938....disassebled no problem...when I
reassemble, the recoil spring rod extends about 3/8" from the end of the slide. I'm obviously not doing something right....

Thanks for your help.

Everything I need to know about Islam, I learned on 9/11

Posts: 98 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: June 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:

This, guide rods on the 938's are known to stretch.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I don't know your exact issue, but if I need more than the owner's manual I check what's on U-Tube. Much of the time there is a quality reassembly video.

I used one recently to gut then change a few parts in two Makarov pistols that had a few issues. Now Both are humming along just fine.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this weapon has a guide rod, but my guess would be, if it has one, it's not seated properly on the muzzle end. Just a guess, I could be full of crap.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
The 938 has a two piece guide rod. Make sure the rod is screwed tightly to the recoil buffer.

Eta: they can shoot loose so you need to check it periodically.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12766 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mech
posted Hide Post
In the guide-rod protrusion condition, can your slide ride all the way forward? I recently picked up a P938 as well and noticed that when reassembling, if I push the barrel too far back (past the point where it is needed to reinsert the take down lever), then the slide will fail to lock up when it rides forward, resulting in the guide rod protruding a bit. TO fix it, remove the take down lever again, tilt the gun barrel-down so the barrel is all the way forward, then hold the gun level, push the barrel back just enough to allow the take down lever to be reinserted. Once done you should be able to let the slide ride forward to completely cover the guide rod.

I've also noticed the P938 seems to be "picky" about which orientation the guide rod spring is facing (as in whether the "tip" of the spring, on either end, is facing up or down). Maybe play with that a bit too and see if the symptom goes away. Lemme know if you have any other questions, have been playing with my P938 so can help replicate and diagnose the issue if needed.

Posts: 1160 | Location: SW Washington, Support Sporting Systems! | Registered: March 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post