SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    .38 Supers are getting expensive
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.38 Supers are getting expensive Login/Join 
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted
WOW!!!

I have been following several and bidding on some.

Colt Commander length and American P-220's.

I bid what I felt was the upper end on several. I am not a cheapskate, but Damn!!!!

If Colt re-introduces the Combat Commander in .38 Super, would you consider buying one?

Or, would you hold out for a pre-80's version?

If you have one, hold on to it, it appears they are on the rise.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been trying to get a 1911 for customization. I'll throw out something that would have won six months ago and I'll get beat by $500.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I've been holding out for a 5" at some point, but a Combat Commander might be really tempting. I like the size of the 220s, a steel frame might be nice, and I really like the way the current (9mm and .45 ACP) offerings are dressed.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the biggest mistakes of my gun buying / selling existence:
Selling my 38 Super P220. Love to have another.
Underwood loads a 124 Gr +P Gold dot at 1350.
Yowsah!
A full size Series 70 Colt would be sweet if I could not go P220. I would want a longer barrel to make all the velocity the cartridge offers.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You're in luck, there is a P-220/.38 Super that was just listed on one of the major auction sites.

They claim it is an original, mid 90's, factory nickel.

They are very proud of it..............just look at the price.

The Series 70's Gov't Models do show up and they are not too terribly priced.

Not sure why the Commander length models have taken off. Well, I guess it could be supply and demand.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Waffles
Picture of cherokee2u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
You're in luck, there is a P-220/.38 Super that was just listed on one of the major auction sites.

Not sure why the Commander length models have taken off. Well, I guess it could be supply and demand.

Beautiful P220 but $4000 is way past OMG

A shepherd must tend his flock....and at times fight off the wolves

Posts: 2988 | Location: Carolina | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A stainless steel Colt Combat Commander in 38 Super would be to die for. They made a lightweight version for a while, but I want a (stainless) steel frame. A while back I had a Combat Commander that was brushed satin. It was nice but I only bought it because no stainless steel versions were available. As a result I sold it. A Dan Wesson Valor Commander is on my short list right now!

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cherokee2u:
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:

Beautiful P220 but $4000 is way past OMG

That is a true beauty. I wonder how many were produced. That's some big money.

Posts: 1562 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:!

If Colt re-introduces the Combat Commander in .38 Super, would you consider buying one?

Or, would you hold out for a pre-80's version?

Ginger or Mary Anne? Of course, the answer is both. Now that I'm older, a COLT Combat Commander in Super 38 is also on my wish list. When I was a kid, an old time LGS offered me an NOS blue steel Combat Commander for $325. I turned my nose up at the pistol because it wasn't a .45 auto. DOH! I'd continue to be on the lookout for a sweet pre-series 80 firing pin model, but pick up a new one as soon as Colt decides to offer the CC in Super 38. It's hard to say which one will surface first. Good luck!

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Those auction prices are impressive! I like the Super about as much as most folks, have three, and have owned others. FWIW, the Super, especially in the shorter Commander and P220 length barrels, may not produce ballistics superior to the best 9MM ammo.

BTW, I've chronographed Underwood 124 grain ammo in three 5" Supers. Reliable and accurate in all three, but did not reach an average of 1350 FPS in any of my guns. I suspect ballistics in the shorter barreled guns mentioned would not be better....ymmv

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I kinda think the .38 is a nice round to have.

It is a good round in either of my P220s, a 2011, or a Glock. Big Grin

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I saw in my daily email from CDNN that they have a Cold in .38 Super on sale right now for $799, iirc. May be worth checking into if you're in the market.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
That seller is smart, putting P228 in the header, knowing that the most recent nickel P228 sold for $4k+.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I handled a most beautiful blued Commander in .38 Super many years back. The owner came to collect it from a Dealer who loaned him money against. Aside from the look and feel of a early Colt, it had a marking something to the affect of Colt .38 Automatic or Colt .38 ACP, I cannot recall. The owner said it was for sale for $450.00. It had white grips maybe fake ivory. I didnt have the funds as I had just paid off a limited production Model 29.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ No offense, but with those markings are you sure it was a Super rather than a .38ACP?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Nope, it was something like .38 ACP.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
That seller is smart, putting P228 in the header, knowing that the most recent nickel P228 sold for $4k+.

12131- Do you know how many P220 In 38 super nickel were made. Thanks

Posts: 1562 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Dog:
quote:

Sorry, Blue Dog, I have zero knowledge in this area.
Actually, I don't even know how many nickel P228s were made. I'm not sure if anyone out here knows. Unless you're a SIG insider with access to old data, it's all just guessing. All folks can say is, "It's rare". Wink

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Dog:
quote:

Sorry, Blue Dog, I have zero knowledge in this area.
Actually, I don't even know how many nickel P228s were made. I'm not sure if anyone out here knows. Unless you're a SIG insider with access to old data, it's all just guessing. All folks can say is, "It's rare". Wink

Thanks for the info. Gosh damn I want hat but a lot of coin.

Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
An American P-220/.38 Super in factory nickel was my Grail gun for a long time.

I believe there is a member or two who have/had one. There are not a lot of them.

I have run across a few on some of the auction sites, that claimed to be factory original. I called Sig and they confirmed those I have checked, left the factory as a blue gun.

After years of searching, I realized I wanted one to carry. I realized I would probably not want to spend the coin on one and then carry it.

so, I did the next best thing. A very gracious member here knew I was looking and offered an excellent condition blued gun. I sent it to CCR and had it refinished in CP II.

I was also able to secure 10 mags, that were also sent to CCR for refinishing.

Bottom line, I now have what I want for and I am not hesitant to carry it. It is one of the best shooting P-220's I have ever owned.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve