SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 X 5 slide “pretensioned”?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 X 5 slide “pretensioned”? Login/Join 
Picture of dgrdvm
posted
I was hoping the awesome brain trust here can explain something for me. I just got a P320 X5 and when you press check it the slide does not go fully into battery. An internet video review ( I know, I know!) stated that this was a “feature” that enhances accuracy. They state the slide is “ pretensioned “ I had never heard that one before, so I was hoping some one here may have more details.
Thank you !

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
They are fit a little tighter than a standard 320, mine did the same thing. Break it in and after a few 100 rounds it will be fine.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
They are fit a little tighter than a standard 320, mine did the same thing.

This sounds a lot more plausible than being "pre-tensioned."

Posts: 27836 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I have never heard the term "pretensioned" applied to SIGs, but when I buy a SIG I always hope there is a little hesitation as the barre/slide/frame lock up tightly into battery. This was common on German SIGs. Not so common now on most American guns with their more "relaxed" fit....

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scsu74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rock185:
I have never heard the term "pretensioned" applied to SIGs, but when I buy a SIG I always hope there is a little hesitation as the barre/slide/frame lock up tightly into battery. This was common on German SIGs. Not so common now on most American guns with their more "relaxed" fit....

They even have a pre-tensioned model.. https://www.topgunsupply.com/s...lide-barrel-iop.html

X-Carry (ACRO & DPP slides), X5 x2 (w/ DPPs, gas pedals, Springer guide rods)

Posts: 293 | Location: Up Nort | Registered: July 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scsu74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgrdvm:
I was hoping the awesome brain trust here can explain something for me. I just got a P320 X5 and when you press check it the slide does not go fully into battery. An internet video review ( I know, I know!) stated that this was a “feature” that enhances accuracy. They state the slide is “ pretensioned “ I had never heard that one before, so I was hoping some one here may have more details.
Thank you !

After press checking press the back of the slide with your thumb

X-Carry (ACRO & DPP slides), X5 x2 (w/ DPPs, gas pedals, Springer guide rods)

Posts: 293 | Location: Up Nort | Registered: July 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 2 x5's, both with over 2k rounds through them and they still don't fully return to battery if you press check (which I don't) or slowly release the slide. However, they both always return to battery when shooting. They are uspsa guns and they are awesome. Initially that concerned me that it might fire out of battery but no issues at all. I have also changed out the recoil assembly and it is slightly better, but will still stay out of battery with a press check or slowly releasing the slide. I spoke with Yong Lee about it and he said it's no big deal so I trust him and like I said, zero issues when shooting. They are very tight and oversprung so I think you should use some strong ammo initially.

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Well, pretensioned sounds like a phrase equating to having a more precisely fit barrel/ slide/frame. If so, I'm all for it. This is the kind of fit that people have paid gunsmiths good money to achieve. It is often mentioned when discussing Les Baer guns, bulls Eye guns, etc. and is sometimes referred to as a "hard fit". In the actual hard fit guns, there is no play or looseness at all in battery, as if the barrel/slide/frame becomes one piece of steel when locked into battery.

I have read of people that do not understand this, complaining on enthusiast forums, or actually sending their guns back to the manufacturer because of this, even though they report no functional problems. Guess I better get to complaining about the Baers I have owned, Hardball Colt, SIG P210s, German manufactured SIGs, S&W Performance Center guns, etcWink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rock185,

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up a W320 compact in 9mm with 3 mags and night sights ,and the box is marked PRE-Tension W it is a tac driver .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scsu74:
quote:
Originally posted by rock185:

They even have a pre-tensioned model.. https://www.topgunsupply.com/s...lide-barrel-iop.html
Interesting the description from the link states "Pre-Tensioned slide/barrel variant. Barrel is fit specific to pistol. Not interchangeable with standard factory barrels.". I have never heard of this until now. And I don't think TGS is into BSing it's customers.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like they have invented a Supercalifrag term.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
Well, I am glad it’s not just me that was confused on this.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Pretensioned, Combat Sight picture, etc, etc.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
Sounds like they have invented a Supercalifrag term.

Well, they certainly had pretensions.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Pretensioned...
When your loyal customers have been lead to believe that high quality precision firearms are supposed to rattle like an old tool box, when you do make one a little tighter, you have to come up with a new name for it so they don't get worried something's wrong. Wink

In this case apparently, that did not work. Smile

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Where's Bruce Gray when you need him? Bruce!!!!!!

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
My "upgraded" 320 was so "pretensioned" it would not go into battery 99% of the time.

It must have been their super high quality workmanship model.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Mars, so it only went into battery 1% of the time when you were firing it? Or was this when cycling by hand, press checking, etc?

NRA Life

posted Hide Post
The one on Top Gun Supply is the SKU I have. it shoots great. W-320-9-BSS-Pre

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hawkeye
posted Hide Post
I was having a conversation recently elsewhere about barrel to slide fit with the X-VTAC and a "normal" P320 barrel, so I wonder if this is related.

I was looking around for a threaded barrel for my X-VTAC. The only one that I could find is made by Silencerco for the "normal" fullsize P320.

Another guy said that he bought one for his VTAC and that it wouldn't fit because the chamber block (or whatever the correct term is for the square bit at the end of the barre which contains the chamber) on the SilencerCo one is ever so slightly larger than the chamber block on the VTAC barrel. He took calipers to it, and he said that the VTAC chamber measured 10mm, while the SilencerCo one was 10.27mm. Thus the SilencerCo barrel wouldn't go in to battery properly in the VTAC slide.

Anyone else have thoughts on this? Anyone else with a set of calipers and a standard P320 barrel available to compare to an X-series one?

Posts: 1501 | Location: Baltimore, MD, USA | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post