SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P228 JK Herndon
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P228 JK Herndon Login/Join 
posted
I am always thinking I should narrow my handguns down to 2 platforms. One would be revolvers as I have several older K frames and a couple of Pythons. The other would be self defense oriented with a single brand of one caliber probably striker fired guns. I presently have Glocks, HK's and a Shield.

I do have a German P 228 in good shape. When I retired form police work, my final gun was an issued satin nickel P228.The nickel guns are rare and expensive. Yesterday I found a used P228 in a local gun shop. It is a JK dated with Herndon on the slide. It is a CPO gun in the red plastic box. It has a dull nickel finish which the gun store thinks is original from Sig. I know it is an aftermarket finish but from where?

I still love the P228 and am thinking about buying this gun. I miss my satin nickel P228. They want $ 895 but offered it for $ 900 out the door. I am also looking at a P220ST for $ 700 on the internet.

Besides the above hand guns I have three other45's. I would like some input from the Sigforum community.

Posts: 238 | Location: SW OH | Registered: September 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Why limit yourself? I like all kinds of guns, variety is the spice of life Big Grin

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
900 with after market finish... PASS.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
900 with after market finish... PASS.

+1.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I think I would pass too. Mine was around 650-ish. Nice shape, 4 mags, box & paperwork. Probably still a little more than I should've paid.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PennSig
posted Hide Post
You have and use revolvers - check.
You have and use 'striker' fired pistols - check.
You love P228s - so do I - check.
You may have a 1911 platform - as I do - as you mentioned 'other 45s'.
So I say why limit yourself. Own a handgun in every platform if you find that it suits you for whatever reason. I can't choose or limit myself as I like each one for a number of specific reasons.

And I would pass on that P228 at that price.

George Washington did what was right. Now it is our time to do the same. Restore the Republic!

Posts: 806 | Registered: October 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I say search around a bit and see what you can locate online and in classifieds.

One of these days I need to get my hands on a 228 so I can experience the magic.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
One of these days I need to get my hands on a 228 so I can experience the magic.

There is no magic. Just hype being perpetuated by its fans. Razz

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
quote:
variety is the spice of life

What he told the Divorce Attorney.

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are all correct. One 228 is enough anyway. I guess I will consider the P220 ST. I have a love hate relationship with the ST. I love the way it shoots, but hate the weight.

The alloy frame P220 would be a great compromise. However my 2 carpal tunnel surgeries make me sensitive to recoil. I think I still have 5 mags from my last ST.

Fortunately the OGCA gun show is this weekend. I am sure I will find something there.

Thanks for your input.

Posts: 238 | Location: SW OH | Registered: September 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcba_joe
posted Hide Post
Consolidating on out of production guns is an absurd idea.

Consolidate on Glocks, 1911s, M&Ps, P226 or P229? Sure. Mags, holsters, and parts are literally everywhere. Consolidating on Something with decreasing factory support and parts? Not a great idea.

There's nothing wrong with having different guns for fun. Consolidating serious use duty/training/CCW guns makes sense though.

Posts: 195 | Registered: August 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xfarfuldog:
One 228 is enough anyway.

Don't tell that to Q Big Grin

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xfarfuldog:
... P228. They want $ 895 ...

Shop around. Don't limit yourself. I was able to get an Allround for less than this guy's P228.

The P220ST would be a better deal in my opinion. Then again, I am always looking for another P220...

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post