SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Cajun Gun Works CZ75b Omega trigger review and shooting impressions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cajun Gun Works CZ75b Omega trigger review and shooting impressions Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted
I only have one CZ pistol, an old-style 75B Omega which I got lightly used and has some issues (currently being worked out).

The old style Omega has the typical curved 75 trigger but it's colored black, and a non-swappable, single sided thumb safety.

Newer Omegas have ambi decockers and I believe you can swap those out for ambi thumb safeties if you wish, and the trigger has a flatter shape.

My Omega CZ75b came with a pretty different-feeling trigger, but apparently it's the norm based on another one I tried at a match.

The DA is typical service-pistol heavy (mine was 11 lbs 14 oz) and a bit gritty and stagey, but there's no stacking. It's usable, but not great.

The SA is very weird. There's no wall and there's lots of movement, but as it creeps through it just keeps creeping and then the hammer drops. Some people I've had shoot it really like it, and when going quickly it feels kind of like a very good Glock trigger that has a connector set up to remove the "wall." It's a rolling break.

Reset is longish, which is typical for standard DA/SA service pistols like this and the Beretta 92 and SIG P226.

I didn't really enjoy shooting the pistol due to the strange trigger (and the sharpish recoil, which is another subject) and the fact that it shot really high with the factory 3-dot sights.

I solved the POI issue with a Dawson front FO sight. Then I started having strange light strikes or no strikes from the DA stroke. I also started to have some weirdness in the reset.

I decided to install the Cajun Gun Works 75700 Omega trigger kit to see if it solved the issue. It did... for a few minutes. The CGW upgrade feel awesome. It comes with a new hammer, disconnector, safety lifter, firing pin, roller, and a bunch of springs (safety plunger, trigger return, firing pin, sear, mainspring, maybe some others).

It's not easy to install compared to swapping parts in a Legoglock, but I made a couple slave pins to help with trigger spring install (technically not needed but helpful) and the sear reinstallation and it went pretty smoothly. Apparently it's easier than messing around with the standard CZ75 type sear cage but I don't know that from experience.

Anyway the initial results were very favorable. The DA decreased to about 9 and a quarter pounds and is MUCH smoother and feels lighter than it is. The SA went from about 3.5 lb to a crisp, short 4.0 lbs, with a very short break and a very nice, shorter reset. Much more shootable. The pistol is currently back at CGW to hopefully sort out the weirdness (which as noted was present in the OEM pistol before the upgrade), but if anyone's interested I did a before/after comparison of the OEM vs CGW Omega trigger, with shooting impressions. If you're not interested, no biggie.

https://youtu.be/oTcDSpGtl2I

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3188 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a 75B Omega like yours. Did it in fact have the Omega trigger system or could it be an Omega slide on a standard 75B frame?

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
No, it's the original style Omega. Dude at a match had the same one. The 75B frame would have a sear cage and the standard 75 guts. This one doesn't... it has the Omega trigger system and a single trigger bar.

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Sootch has/had one like mine apparently https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrBAW-R1teo

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Lernt me somethin new today! Smile

CGW will make that thing into a tack driver. They do excellent work.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ryanp225,

posted Hide Post
CGW does awesome work. I have a P-01 with a Pro Package that I haven’t shot forever. I was going to sell it but when I pulled it out and felt the trigger again I decided “hell no”. I think I’m going to get a good holster for it and carry it.

I carry a standard CZ75 matte stainless on my motorcycle and sometimes while hiking. I’ve thought about sending it to CGW too.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
-----------------------------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
That stainless is handsome. they both are really. I really want to like this pistol.

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Update/s.
3/24 Update: Well Cajun called me and said a couple things...
roller was too big for this pistol (.220, CGW roller); machined it down to .210"

burrs on the trigger bar, he polished it and went through the whole pistol

half cock notch was dragging on the sear during slow DA stroke which he says was probably causing the light strikes

Opened up the clearance for the safety lever or something... unclear about that point but I'll ask when they call back Friday or so.

He installed a drop-free mag brake (my request).

He said it's butter smooth now with a smooth and clean reset and was going to send it back to me but I requested that they shoot it first and see if they have the same issue I did. Will update, but I'm confident they've solved the issue/s.

3/27 Just heard from CGW and he said he was glad I asked them to shoot it before sending it back. He said they had some weirdness with the reset under recoil and traced it to a trigger bar return spring that was a little too short and was moving out of its groove. He said he'd never seen that before. But he replaced it and they shot 50 rounds with no issues, and it's on its way back to me! Hopefully it's 100% but I'll report back. Very excited. I now have over $800 into my "great deal" as-new CZ75B Omega I bought for $400+tax. LOL story of my life Big Grin

posted Hide Post
The Omega was my first CZ. The gateway gun if you will. I got the CGW trigger for it and it turned a useable gun into a fantastic gun. The owner even took my phone call on a weekend to walk me through the installation. I've since done a fair bit of business with CGW. And I now have more than one CZ.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let me riddle you a question. I just got a basically new P07 for cheap. Trigger is not very good. Fine for the proverbial truck gun and useable but I’ve gotten spoiled over the years with quality triggers.

CGW sells a kit for 226 bucks. Everything you need even though surprising to me no sear. The CGW hammer seems to be the biggest improvement point. It’s only 88 bucks. Why buy the whole kit? For instance, do I really need an extended firing pin? If all I change is the hammer and maybe a mainspring is the other hundred something bucks worth it?

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
That da roller in the Omega trigger is a tricky little sucker. I had an issue with my P09 landing on the half cock position while dry firing in da. Turned out to be that roller had too much side to side clearance. I fixed it with an in spec CGW part along with most of their USPSA legal trigger kit. I'd put it up there with a tuned up Shadow 2 in respect to the trigger quality now.

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Got it back tonight and long story short it works perfectly and shoots great.

Work order just mentions gunsmithing and a charge for an OEM extractor spring (not sure why; it was feeding and ejecting fine). The slide is very smooth, not sure what they did there but it's like butter. The reset is very smooth and clean, and the DA is as I sent it in... smooth overall with maybe a tiny bit of grit compared to my well-worn P226 and Beretta 92FS with D spring. SA is maybe a tad more creepy than when I sent it in but its very smooth and clean, and the real important point is that it actually works! I shot it back to back (5 rounds then swap) with my 226 and 225 and G17 to confirm that the CZ75 still recoils more than all of them and it does, at least by my perception. Can't figure that one out. But it's a great shooter now and I am excited to take it to a couple local matches if things ever get back to normal.